“Great hotel! But not excellent.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hamilton-Turner Inn to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 Abercorn Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #1 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Monterey, California
“Great hotel! But not excellent.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed in Savannah for one day. Just one. So we wanted to see as much as possible with the best tour guides. The city is absolutely gorgeous as is the hotel. The hotel is a stunning time machine to the 19th century. However I did take out a star because the tour guides they recommended were both not optimum. Which was very sad for us but the trolley tour which went around the city, made up for that.

• Stayed June 2013
JeremyWatson, General Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

I regret to hear that your tours were not to your satisfaction. The tours that we recommend are based upon our staff's experiences as well as our guest's experiences. Therefore, if a tour is recommended, it is because our guests have enjoyed the tour and recommend it.

As mentioned, I'm pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit and regret that the tours placed a damper on your vacation.

Kindest Regards,

Jeremy Watson

Hamilton-Turner Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I planned a trip to Savannah for a relaxing weekend, we were not disappointed. We stayed on River Street for a night and then off to the Hamilton-Turner Inn for the remainder of our stay. What can I say other than, great location, beautiful inn, impeccable service and best breakfast in Savannah!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you sharing your experience.

I am so delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. As our valued guests, your gracious comments are appreciated and will be shared with our staff. It was a pleasure to have you visit with us and do hope you will choose our Inn when you return.

Kindest Regards,

Jeremy Watson
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

First, let me say that the Hamilton Turner is every bit as beautiful and elegant as any of the homes you will pay to visit and tour in Savannah. The staff is uniformly delightful and and helpful, and very much enhance the genteel atmosphere of the house. It is located in a lovely tree-lined area in the historic district and is easy walking distance to pretty much anyplace you will want to go. We found a parking place on the street next to the house and never it moved the car again until we left. That said, there were a few things that were rather disconcerting.

My husband and I stayed in the Thomas Charlton Room on the first floor. It is a large room with perhaps 15 foot ceilings which act to make it appear even larger. The room and ensuite bathroom are elegantly decorated in Victorian or turn of the century style. The big king sized bed was quite comfortable. However, when I tried to take a shower our first night there, the shower mechanism appeared to be broken and I had to call in the desk attendant (unlike most B & B's, the Hamilton Turner has someone available until quite late). I found out that the mechanism was, in fact, not working properly although with great effort it could be made to operate. Once I got it going, the water pressure was little more than a trickle and I was led to understand this also was a known problem but for some reason it was not being repaired. Just getting the soap out of my hair was an undertaking.

Like the 1801 in Sonoma, where we stayed a couple of years ago, the Hamilton Turner requires you to reserve your breakfast time the day before. Unlike the 1801, where they had more than one option and asked if you needed anything special, this place has a set menu for that day and mostly it's some kind of egg dish. I can't eat eggs and they had nothing else hot to offer me. I ended up having granola and fruit (they have this set up on a sideboard) both days we ate there. My husband doesn't eat bread and the first day they had a bananas Foster French toast dish. When he asked if they could make him an omelet, he was told they couldn't. They finally agreed to make him scrambled eggs. On the positive side, one day they had scones on the sideboard. They were definitely the best scones I had every tried, but only have them if they're fresh. When I had nothing but granola available the next day, they brought me a reheated scone and it was nuked and leaden.

I would certainly recommend the Hamilton-Turner for all its good points. I would not recommend the Thomas Charlton room until the plumbing is repaired. And, just know in advance that, if you have dietary issues, you may run into problems.

Room Tip: Ask in advance if the shower is working properly and whether they can handle any dietary restriction...
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel is in a beautiful location and the room was lovely.

We arrived prior to check in time and asked if we might leave our luggage while we toured the city, planning to return after the time to check in. We were told by the innkeeper that there was not space to leave our bags and she instructed us to leave them in our car. Parking facilities are not available at the hotel and we were told, if one is lucky, one could find parking on the street. I asked if she had a map of the area, which she provided. Although she was not overtly rude, our first impression after this reception was instead of feeling welcome, we felt like a annoyance or inconvenience to her. We realized we arrived early but we wanted no more than to store our bags, as we had been told prior to our arrival would be no problem.

The room was exceptional and was appropriately priced. The furnishings were beautiful and the bed was very comfortable.

The breakfast was a buffet including a bowl of cut fruit including fresh grapes and fresh cantaloupe, and other canned fruit. There was a bowl of granola, milk, yogurt and a bundt cake. There was one hot entree, a biscuit with sausage gravy and scrambled egg. The breakfast was adequate, but in my opinion did not compare to the usual breakfast fare served at a similarly priced bed and breakfast.

Torrance, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is the finest B & B of the dozen or so that we have stayed in over the years. It is exquisitely restored and decorated down to the smallest detail. You feel like you're staying in someone's home, not a hotel. Our room had every amenity you could ask for including a CD player with music softly playing when we arrived. The bathroom had a charming claw foot tub and shower combo. The only negative for us was the iron board was a table top model and the only spot to set it up was on the shelf in the chifforobe. We stayed in the Johnny Mercer room which is located on the main floor across from the reception desk. Our mistake when booking online was assuming that second floor meant second story of the house. There are rooms below the main floor and those are considered first floor. The staff was so helpful and friendly, they made our stay all the more pleasant. We enjoyed the relaxing afternoon wine and cheese reception in the front parlor which also affords the opportunity to chat with other guests. The breakfast table is elegantly set and service impeccable. There is a buffet with fresh fruit, muesli, yogurt, and rolls. The single entree changes daily and is served at your table. Breakfast was delicious! We had eggs one day and stuffed french toast the next. There is no on site parking but the adjacent street has free parking which worked out well for us. The Hamilton Turner is in a great location for exploring Savannah on foot or catching the trolley nearby. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: There are two rooms on the main floor adjacent to the reception desk. They are listed on the website...
Randolph, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We wanted to take my sister and brother-in-law to Savannah to see for themselves how lovely it is and we chose to stay at the Hamilton Turner Inn - we could not have picked a better place to stay ! You really get to fabulous feel the charm of the City by staying here.
The location, amenities and attention to details are all first class. The facilities in the lounge each day brought the guests together and created a really nice atmosphere and the staff were all extremely helpful.
We had a fabulous time and would recommend this Inn to any adults wanting to stay somewhere that feels a bit special.

Riverview, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I chose the Hamilton-Turner Inn for our anniversary stay in Savannah. We were so pleased that we did! The owners and staff made us feel like loyalty. We loved our perfectly adorned room, along with delightful breakfasts. Savannah was so beautiful, but nothing was quite as fantastic as our stay at the bed and breakfast. Each time we returned, it felt as though we were returning home. Thanks so much, Jim and Gay!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Nathaniel Green suite. It was extremely comfortable and beautiful!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hamilton-Turner Inn? Share your experiences!