“Lovely and in a Great Location. Almost perfect.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hamilton-Turner Inn to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 Abercorn Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #1 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Chicago
“Lovely and in a Great Location. Almost perfect.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my very first visit to Savannah and I decided to make it the best possible. Some experiences just cannot be short-changed and I'm happy I chose the Hamilton-Turner Inn for my stay. In spite of traveling solo, I chose the large and incredibly beautiful James Oglethorpe Suite overlooking Lafayette Square's beautiful magnolias and live oaks dripping with Spanish moss. It was absolutely the perfect choice. I had already been driving for a few days visiting family in NYC and Raleigh Durham and I was ready to relax. The staff greeted me warmly and got me situated in my room and the first night I just stayed in and put my feet up with a good book as I nibbled on the excellent toffee - a gift from the inn - and caught up on my e-mail with the free wi-fi. I've stayed in a lot of bed and breakfasts and the Hamilton-Turner is right up there with the best on the comfort level. My room was well appointed with a comfy bed, sofa, chairs, writing desk, chest and more. If it had been cooler I would've loved to have a fire in the fire place. The bathroom was generously sized with a whirlpool tub and double sink vanity. The provided toiletries are by Gilchrist and Soames and were heavenly. The towels super thick and soft. A bathrobe was also provided. One small problem - the water, though I had it turned on for an eternity, never was quite warm enough to enjoy a soak in the evenings. And showering was a hasty affair due to the tepidness of the water. I meant to mention that to the desk and completely forgot so obviously it wasn't a horrible issue for me. Having lived in Africa, I am used to tepid showers but Savannah is not Africa. When my bed was turned down for the night, a cello bag of cookies was left on the pillow. I love those special touches. Breakfast was good but limited to one dish - no choices. I've stayed at B&Bs that have more variety but I enjoyed the offerings just the same. Fresh fruit including berries would have made a huge difference in my overall impression. I was a bit surprised by the canned fruit cocktail. And I had just the vaguest feeling that my English muffin the first morning and my croissant on the second morning had been warmed in a microwave or kept in an oven to warm since they had a somewhat chewy texture. Still, it was a good breakfast and it was nice not to have to go in search of a diner. Tea and lemonade with a cookie or pastry are offered in the afternoons and I enjoyed mine in the inn garden the first afternoon. In the evenings wine is served with an appetizer of some sort like warmed brie. The inn is in a great location and as I'm a walker it was centrally located enough for me to walk just about everywhere. I chose to take a trolley tour first just to get oriented to Savannah and the Hamilton-Turner staff printed out a ticket for me for Old Savannah Tours and called a free shuttle to transport me to the trolley terminal so I could experience the trip from Stop 1 to 16. But if you prefer, you can get the hop-on and hop-off ticket and start your journey right around the corner from the inn. The inn was so centrally located that I stopped in two or three times during the day as I explored the city to change to lighter clothes or freshen up or grab a snack. Each time I was greeted by the staff and asked if there was anything they could get for me. I found them quite attentive and friendly. I want to note that the Hamilton-Turner keeps the entry locked at all times and the guests are given a key for access. This meant a great deal to me as it kept the inn from being a tourist attraction as well as comfortably private. I noted a great number of people trying the front door so I'm sure if it was left unlocked they would all be wandering about and that would detract a great deal from the ambience. However, I was slightly embarrassed when I arrived to check-in and wrangled with the door handle for several seconds. By the time I discovered the buzzer, one of the staff came to let me in. Chagrin. If you are planning a stay please note that there are steep steps going up to the front entry and once you are in, there are even steeper stairs going up to the rooms. I don't mind stairs in the least but was thinking if I'd had my parents with me, they would have had to sleep in the parlour. The cancellation policy is incredibly strict and right up until my stay I kept worrying that something would prevent me from getting to Savannah like snowy weather and that I would lose my money. Very glad that didn't happen but be aware of their policies prior to booking. Parking is only available on the street and some spaces are metered. I was fortunate to find a free spot a couple of blocks away and then was able to move my car much closer the next morning which made me feel a bit more secure as it was loaded with things for my home in Florida. Overall it was a very nice experience and would have garnered five stars had the water been toasty and the fruit fresh. I'm a bit spoiled and expect absolute perfection and the Hamilton-Turner came very close. I would happily return.

Room Tip: Just FYI - If you stay on the second or third floor in the main house you will have to climb two sto...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Inn and our experience was excellent! The location is more than prime, the Inn itself bespeaks another era that charmed even us died in the wool Northerners, the staff was very helpful with directions, dinner reservations etc. and they served a very generous breakfast and so many snacks and libations we hardly needed lunch or dinner.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Beautiful historical home in lovely Lafayette Square! The cozy Juliette Gordon Low room on the 3rd floor was a perfect getaway for girls weekend for me and my daughter! Arrived, unpacked, and were treated to freshly baked brownies and lemonade. Did a bit of exploring, and came back to freshen up for dinner, and nibble on baked brie and wine. Wonderful clawed foot bath tub was perfect for a hot soak! The Inn made dinner reservations for us, carried our bags to our room, supplied band aids when my daughter tripped on the cobblestones and skinned her knee - the service here is wonderful! Full breakfasts include yogurt, granola, fruit, freshly baked scones and a hot entree such as croissants with scrambled eggs and gruyere. Our carriage ride tour guide said the house was the inspiration for The Haunted Mansion at Disney World. Loved our stay and hope to return one day soon!

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are a bit of a hike...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at the Mary Telfair room. Located on 2nd floor so only 1 flight of stairs - no elevators here. Room was a bit small, but has high ceilings, good natural lighting, and comfortable bed. The room rate comes with breakfast, afternoon tea, evening wine and hor d'oeuvres, and late night port wine. For breakfast, I found the fruit, yogurt, and bisquit buffet to be very nice, but if you don't like the hot plate for the day, there's no other option. When checking-in, let front desk know your breakfast time as the 9am and 9:30am slots book quickly. The parking is street only. We came on a weekend so no problem and no charge. The location is very good and within walking distance to nice local restaurants, museums, bars, and theatres. Service is excellent, everyone is willing to help, and the owner serves you breakfast. Tipping is not accepted until you check out where there is an envelope for entire staff to share. Overall, a very pleasant stay, but a bit on the expensive side per night depending on room selection.

Room Tip: Call ahead and get a description of the rooms as each one is different. Since there's no elevat...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The location was perfect. They anticipated our every need. The southern gourmet breakfasts were delightful. We enjoyed tea and sweets, wine and hors d'oeuvre and port wine.A complimentary gift awaited our arrival. The rooms were beautiful. People were so friendly, including the guests.

Thank you for your hospitality. Highly recommended.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Looking out of the floor to ceiling Victorian windows one sees an enormous southern magnolia tree dripping with Spanish moss -- an every day experience at this amazing little hotel. Every where you look there is something unusual and lovely, the chandelier, the art, the over size moldings on the 12 ft. ceilings and arch doorways.

The hotel is carefully run, the service is very thoughtful. Every detail of our two night stay had been considered. We can't wait to return to this romantic reincarnation of the 1880's.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JeremyWatson, General Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for your review.

It was such a pleasure to have you as our guests and I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your review and do hope for you will choosing our Inn should you return to our beautiful City of Savannah.

Kindest Regards,

Jeremy Watson
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just returned from our stay at the Hamilton-Turner Inn and wish it didn't have to end. Beautiful and historic home in a perfect location with exceptional and friendly service. The rooms are gorgeous - never slept so well in a "hotel" bed. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We greatly appreciate your kind words and review. It is our wish to provide you with the best service possible so that you can have the best experience possible. We will be sure to share your sentiments with our team members.

Again, thank you for sharing your sentiments with us. We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Kindest Regards,

Jeremy Watson
Hamilton-Turner Inn

Been to Hamilton-Turner Inn? Share your experiences!