“A wonderful B & B experience” 5 of 5 stars

Azalea Inn Throwback Rate
Ranked #8 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
“A wonderful B & B experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This B & B was an enjoyable experience. It is located about one block from Forsyth Park within walking distance of all the squares and the downtown area. The staff is friendly and hospitable. Our room was clean, nicely decorated, and had a small balcony just a few steps from the pool. The breakfasts were delicious, and it was fun to eat at a communal table and chat with your fellow guests from around the world. The wine and appetizers (and desserts) were also appreciated in the evening. I would return here happily.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My Husband and I celebrated our 10 year Anniversary at this Inn and we LOVED IT!!! It was our first trip to Savannah and I did a lot a research before picking the Azalea Inn. Everything from the location, rooms, breakfast, and the wonderful staff was top notch! (And I'm very picky!) We found the location to be perfect. We loved the fact that it is a bit tucked away but at the same time so accessible. We walked everywhere! You can start right at Forsyth Park and walk through the beautiful Squares all the way to the river. So much to see!! So many wonderful sites and restaurants. As we walked past a number of the other locations that we had considered we both agreed that our location was far superior. It was kind of a running joke with us. Saying oh we could have stayed there or there and then being happy we were not. When we walked home in the evening away from the hustle and bustle of downtown we truly felt like we were coming home! And we did use the towers as our guide a few times after some fun evenings out:)!
The other guests and staff were so much fun to talk to during the evening wine and cheese and at breakfast.The food by the way is beyond AMAZING! Everybody was having a great time! Teresa is so funny and personable and is a perfect hostess! Want to shout out to Kimberly, Shannon, Haley, Miss Betty and the new addition Madi! You guys made everything great for us!
We stayed in the Cottage Room and enjoyed the Jacuzzi tub and our private patio! The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in! I'm serious. When I got home I woke up one morning and before I opened my eyes I said to myself please let me still be Savannah. That's how much I loved it there.
I could go on and on about all the great places to eat and cool things to see but I suggest you go yourself. The girls will offer great suggestions and make reservations. They even arranged a private carriage tour of the city and had them drop us off at our restaurant! Perfect night!
We did rent a car and used it to got to Tybee and see the surroundings around Savannah. I would recommend the beach near the Tybee Lighthouse. Less hectic and a beach bar right there. Free parking at the Inn. Bonus! (And I don't usually address another person's issues but I did not feel unsafe at all. Shame on them for leaving their stuff in the car. I would not do that anywhere! But I would be even more nervous about downtown! That being said you have to use common sense no matter where you stay.) Enough of that...
We stayed for a whole week and I could have stayed longer. it was that lovely and welcoming and FUN!
BONUS!! A pool at a B & B! I'm sold!
Again I could go on and on but will sum it up that if you are going to Savannah, Azalea Inn & Gardens is the place to stay!!
In my husband's words Teresa is a "hot ticket!" And he is NOT a fan of B & B's. (Except for one other on Cape Cod, but that's another story:).
I would like to note that my husband had ankle surgery prior to the trip and we were concerned about the distance to downtown and it was not and issue at all. And we are not spring chickens:).
Pack your bags, give Teresa a call and GO! Maybe we will see you there!

Room Tip: I like the privacy of The Cottage but all the rooms look beautiful!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We spent 5/15-5/18/2013 at this amazing bed and breakfast. Inside this lovely home you will find Old World luxury with modern amenities. Upon arrival we found a charming ambience complimented by accommodating professional staff. Teresa, Haley and Miss Betty rolled out the red carpet for us. We felt like royalty and were given a complete orientation and tour of the property. We stayed in the Forsyth room that had a private balcony with a lovely blooming magnolia tree that we used for our late night complimentary dessert and sherry. Teresa also noted my birthday with a card and a plate of special chocolate candies. The breakfast was a culinary delight and varied each morning. We enjoyed the lively conversation at breakfast with the other guests. Teresa is a wonderful storyteller and shares the interesting history of the Azalea Inn. Great and safe location. It is a block and a half from the famous Forsyth Park. We will be back again soon! Tim and Mary St. Paul, Minnesota

Courtland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed this very charming Inn. Our room couldn't have been more perfect with a great balcony overlooking the pool and gardens. Only a couple of blocks from the historic district, it was a pleasent walk through the beautiful squares to the river front. The staff were all very knowledgeable of the area and friendly. The breakfasts were delicious and we enjoyed conversing with the other guests. We have recommended the Inn to friends who are planning a trip to Savannah.

Vero Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

You need to read this before you choose the Azalea Inn as I had read most of the recent reviews here and none of them mentioned some important facts. This inn is located on the fringe of the nice historical district. I noticed this right away on our arrival, as I compared it to other inns we had considered and was disappointed. I asked if our car was safe in the lot and we were assured that it was and there had been no problems. However, during our first night, our car was broken into, window smashed, computer stolen...the police had to come. DO NOT walk in the area at night regardless of what the hotel staff tells you--we encountered at least two individuals that made us feel uncomfortable(and we are from NYC area). Since the Savannah car dealer could not fix our car we had to leave after staying only one of our two nights...and I felt unsafe anyway...the inn CHARGED our cc regardless!!! Insult on injury. We are of course enlisting the help of our credit card co.
On top of all this, there is a huge cell tower "towering" over the inn across the street (not in the photos obviously) and there is jackhammer work going on all day about 1 block away.
I am writing this to protect those of you who have not made your hotel choice yet--as I cannot believe no one else mentioned these details!!
I gave one star vs none, only because Lise, one staff member was empathetic to our situation. The owner did not respond to our 2 emails asking for understanding about why we felt we had to leave. Pls choose somewhere more centrally located in the main historical district or one of the bigger hotels on the river that have a monitored parking lot.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Azalea_Inn, Owner at Azalea Inn & Gardens, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
I am so sorry that this guest failed to follow common sense for travelers anywhere: Do not under any circumstances leave your valuables in plain sight in your car - period. With that said, let me outline the facts as reported to me (I was on vacation from 4 May thru 15 May) by staff. This guest made her reservation on Sunday, March 24, 2013 and approximately 15 minutes after receiving her confirmation letter (which requests that guests read our policies and respond with their agreement to same), she responded with “I agree to your cancellation policy…but I have one question: do you provide safes?? Either in room or somewhere in the inn? I see that your policy says you are not responsible for personal property loss…” We replied that we do not have room safes but we do have one in the office for our guest use.

Upon arrival on May 7, 2013, the guest was asked to sign our registration form which again states our policies. We know that most people are accustomed to signing whatever is placed in front of them during registration and so we go one step further which a verbal summary of the policies which include the check-out time, the smoking policy, the fact that we have a swimming pool but no life guard so swim at your own risk, and "we have a parking lot but no security guard so please do not leave valuables in the car."

At some point her vehicle was broken into but the other 18 cars in the lot, including my own, were NOT broken into. The clear implication is that no other car had items in plain sight. We assisted the guest as best we could by contacting our local Lexus dealer, helping to clean the mess up, and when she told us she could not get the car fixed on that day and wanted to go home, we expressed our understanding and stated we would be happy to give her a Gift Certificate for future use. We do empathize with the situation SHE put herself in, but it is not the fault of the inn that she chose to ignore common sense and left her laptop (and reportedly her work cellphone and in her complaint to AmEx she added her wallet) in plain sight on the seat of her car!

The guest was not satisfied with this solution and told the morning innkeeper that she would challenge the charges with AmEx and that she would write a review on TripAdvisor. We are a small business and we entered into a contract with the guest: We would guarantee that upon her arrival she would have the exact room she requested at the agreed upon price, and in exchange, she would abide by the policies agreed to. She agreed to pay the fee no matter her arrival and departure date. We held that room for over a month and a half and had no expectation that her act of carelessness would cause us to lose money.

The cell phone tower has been seen by at least 500 other people who have written reviews of our inn on TripAdvisor and obviously the cell phone tower and the boost it gives to all cell phone plans out there is not a detriment to most people. We have actually embraced the tower – if you get yourself turned around anywhere in the historic district the tower is your “Trail of Breadcrumbs” leading you back to our inn! As a matter of fact, one young couple here to celebrate a wedding, imbibed a bit to much and were so grateful we told them to follow the tower - they walked home without a hitch!

The jackhammer work (during business hours only) is a sign of progress at the Savannah Law School and the renovation of the 190-year-old Candler Hospital complex which is at the end of our street. Part of this rehabilitation includes the removal of a 60-year-old building that has blocked our direct access to the world famous Forsyth Park! We are so excited to have this avenue opened once again. We will continue to celebrate the restoration of any portion of Savannah’s history.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in mid May. As with virtually all of the properties that we have stayed at that we have found through The Select Registry, this one did not disappoint in service, quality of breakfast, and overall charm and location of the inn. At only a couple of blocks from the historicdistrict of Savannah, we were able to park the car for three days, and not move it again until our departure.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Azalea Inn and Gardens from May 9 through the 12th, 2013 and it was terrific. We had a room at the rear of the first floor overlooking the pool and patio area. This was our first visit to Savannah and we totally intend to return and when we do we will stay here again. The staff were attentive and informative and very willing to help in any way they could. We totally recommend staying here!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Azalea Inn & Gardens? Share your experiences!