“Charm and Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azalea Inn & Gardens

You added Azalea Inn & Gardens to your Saves list
Azalea Inn & Gardens
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   217 East Huntingdon Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #8 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saddle Brook, New Jersey
“Charm and Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed 5 wonderful nights at the Azalea Inn. Our room with it's porch provided us with a comfort and relaxation each day. It was like having our own escape!
Shannon, Haley and all the girls were wonderful! They were graciously there to make our visit the best possible. One day we had a minor issue with being picked up late for a tour and their response was to take charge and make the right thing happen, after all we were their guests! I would look no further than the Azalea Inn if we were return to Savannah.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

From start to finish the Azalea is the perfect spot in Savannah. The house is wonderfully restored, the staff is welcoming, friendly, and has great advice on where to go and eat - making calls and reservations. They are also very accommodating - supplying towels and beach chairs for a daytrip to Tybee island, and sharing the recipe of one of their delicious breakfasts. Their evening wine + appetizers are a great way to meet the other guests, and to enjoy the peace and quiet of the backyard pool. They easily accommodated our group of three (no uncomfortable cots!). We experienced a minor A/C issue one night and it was fixed by the next afternoon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hackensack, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just stayed here with my wife for eight days. A VERY comfortable room with modern amenities. Great breakfasts, happy hour wine and snacks, and desert and sherry at bedtime. Located just off of Forsyth Park at the edge of the historic distance, and walking distance to all of historic downtown Savannah. The staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful in every way.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I booked a few days for my mother in this beautiful inn. She traveled from Venezuela and only had a few days to stay in Savannah. She absolutely loved Azalea Inn & Gardens. She had a very restful and relaxing stay; she enjoyed the beautiful view from her room and truly enjoyed their abundant and delicious breakfasts. The inn is located at walking distance from the downtown area and it is in a very quiet location. Even though I didn't stay at the inn I enjoyed the views from her room (The Magnolia), the helpful and pleasant service, and on one occasion we had breakfast at her room.The people working at the inn were really accommodating and fun. I also looked forward to petting Joey every time I came to visit or pick up my mom at the inn. They have a very interesting and curious mural at their living room area; should you stay, look closely at the scenes depicting in the mural and ask about the story of the mural. I will certainly have my mom or any other guests stay at Azalea Inn & Gardens in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Metuchen, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I do enjoy a bed and breakfast occasionally and thought Savannah to be an excellent choice given its history and charm to experience another one. Our few days visit started with a ride down on Amtrak. It was about $12 for a cab ride to this darling location from the station.

The location is excellent if you're comfortable walking no more than a mile radius to reach virtually any location downtown. It was wonderful no having to have a car, we strolled everywhere. There is a lovely park about 2 blocks away which also contains a cafe with outdoor seating.

Before I stray too far into extra information, let me first rave about the bed and breakfast itslef. The ladies have this place running like a well oiled machine. They could not be any friendlier and going above and beyond. I recently lost my mother and this was to be a relaxing getaway from all the craziness we were dealing with so this explains why we were completely blindsided that Valentines day fell on our 3rd night. So it was was going to be difficult to say the least finding a restaurant for dinner. We asked Kimberly if she knew of a decent place that may have a chance at not being booked. After asking what type of food we were seeking, she named a few places and said she would call them to check. Well, when we returned from exploring, not only did she call, but she set up our dinner reservations for the rest of our stay! That was excellent since many are popular and it was towards weekend AND Valentine's weekend to boot so the sooner they're reserved the better. They also recommended particular trolley tours that sends a shuttle to pick up at the door AND brought us back to the door. We were also given the option of paying for the trolley on our room bill making it a smoother transition for actual ride not having to brandish payment on trolley. They called cabs for us without even having to ask.Sweet Joey the house yorkie helped keep us occupied from our three pups at home. There are two seatings for breakfast so whether an early riser or late, you dont miss out, and you dont want to either.Kimberley's breakfasts are stupendous, original and making my mouth water as I recall them. One morning while we were eating, Teresa (owner) joined us and explained the murals on the walls as well as shared their story of how they came to run this place.. We were also blessed with the angelic voice of Miss Betty who came and and sang a song she made up on the spot!

The rooms we stayed in were very nice. The first night was the Cotton exchange which had french doors that led out to a small deck with bistro table and chairs and the courtyard with the pool and garden house. The rest of the time was in the Garden house first floor. It has it's own entrance and a limited kitchen. Take note that the bed wall backs to an alley type area where the street lights glow fairly brightly. However after a night where it was too bright for my husband to sleep well, (i like a baby :) ) we discovered there is a shade that pulls down BEHIND the blinds, makes a HUGE difference. There's a large 2 person jacuzzi and a rainshower above it. Both WONDERFUL, ideal for long days spent strolling.

MUSTS- Mrs Wilkes boarding house, it's family style eating at its ultimate best! Thats all I can say, you HAVE to GO there but be there at 1030am, opens at 11 but line forms, so try to be part of first wave for there's 4 tables that sit about 10 each(and take TBSP sampling of everything because there's SO much you must try it ALL) Trolley tour with local company they recommend, an informative and interesting ride. I recommend taking shuttle on FULL loop first (it has hop on/off option) and take notes of which 16 stops you want to explore more, after full loop THEN do on/off so you get full experience and know where you feel it's worth getting off. Vic's on the River- restaurant, Alligator soul(restaurant), awesome hibiscus martini! both little pricey but delicious. Leopold's ice cream,yum
FYI Paula Deen has a restaurant in town if you go, go there then Mrs wilkes. If you do, you'll understand why. I didnt like it but the reviews are so mixed its best to try yourself so you know and can have a true opinion . It gets very busy too, so we found lunch around 2 during the week wasn't too bad. But if you only have time for one, Definitely Mrs. Wilkes, hands down for a truly unique experience.

The only negative on our stay was the next to last night , a family stayed in the garden house second floor and thought their toddlers running windsprints with bricks strapped to their shoes (so it seemed) was acceptable from their 8 pm arrival until past midnight, which the quartfinals were scheduled for 6 am. lucky us. I actually resorted to banging on the walls, tacky i know. But they were only there for one night and we learned the father was being deployed to afghanistan that very morning, so we let it slide figuring it explained ALOT. BEsides, that's no fault of the establishment, I just might do the 2nd floor next time.

We will definitely return here. Of all the b&bs we've stayed in (at least 10) its one of the best. Location, Staff (& Joey), rooms, charm, it won't be a disappointment if you're looking to relax. I can't wait til we're able to return!

Room Tip: Cotton exchange last room in back of house, door to outside in hallway, so maybe issue if others in...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Surf City, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Lovely inn, gracious innkeepers, delicious food -- absolutely wonderful. Our visit was relaxing and refreshing, thanks to the attentive staff, all of whom were exceptionally welcoming. We look forward to return visit.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tullahoma, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Azalea Inn & Gardens for our 1st anniversary. This was our first bed & breakfast experience and we have to say they've set the bar very high! From the moment we arrived, we were treated like family. All of our needs were met and exceeded. The location is perfect - near Forsyth Park - quieter than staying near the river. The food was exquisite - a fabulous breakfast every morning, plus wine and appetizers every afternoon, AND dessert at bedtime! We stayed in the Live Oak Room. Very quiet, comfortable room with all the amenities! We highly recommend the Azalea Inn & Gardens!!!
Dian R

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Azalea Inn & Gardens? Share your experiences!