“Some good, some bad.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“Some good, some bad.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western Gateway for 3 nights during a layover on a long drive from Maine to Florida. I'd been driving for days and was pretty tired when I got there. Best Western had gotten my reservation wrong (through the 800 number) but the lovely front desk person (Bea) quickly remedied that and had me in a clean, quiet room with an oversoft bed (old mattress). During the night I got up to adjust the privacy shades and found the floor damp near the A/C unit. In the morning the carpet was completely soaked.

Bea very quickly and nicely changed my room where the bed was even older and softer (technically a pillow top mattress but not functionally). I stayed here without complaint for the next two, quiet days. Even in this room, the carpet near the A/C unit was dampish, but the room didn't have a feel of mold. It was clean and well care for, if a bit tired.

The continental breakfast was completely uninspiring, which actually drives a lot of travelers to the Denny's restaurant in the main lobby. I actually appreciated a change from the items they had in the hotel breakfast nook and frequented Denny's 2 of my 3 mornings there. Hard to judge whether they deliberately keep their own breakfast unappealing.

This wasn't my worst BW experience, but also not the best.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Alisha P, Manager at BEST WESTERN Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Meredith J,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I will be sure to share your feedback with my team so that we can make the necessary changes to better serve our guests in the future. I hope you choose to stay with us on your next visit to Savannah.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
st pauls nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

nice and clean,front desk clerk was nice and helpful suggested place to eat in savannah,she was right on her call.rooms and pool area was clean,no problem,ice machine didn;t work on the first floor,resturants were close by,enjoyed my stay,will stay again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alisha P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Abcman33,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. It is always nice to hear positive comments from guests. Glad you enjoyed cooling off in our recently renovated pool area. I hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Savannah, GA.
Warrenton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

i just got home from a three day ,two night stay in savannah.i will start with saying it was my second trip to the city ,with my wife the two of us loved Bee at the front desk, she was very imformative,attentive and friendly customer service was very great the room was ok i hope Alisha Patel keep bee around for a long time this hotel need to do something nice for bee

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Goodtime613,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I will be sure to pass along the kind words to my team. I hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Savannah, GA.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I just got home from a three day, two night stay in Savannah. I will start with saying it was my second trip to the city, and the first for my mom and son. The three of us loved Bee at the front desk, she was very informative, attentive and friendly! Customer service was great!

Our thoughts about the room? Well...let's just say. We didn't sleep as well as I know we would have at a more expensive hotel. I agree with previous comments regarding the moldy smell. Our room could have and should have been inspected a lil more in the corners of the ceilings, there were spider webs with live spiders in EVERY corner! We didn't feel that the room was horrible it just could have used a lil more attention.

I would not stay here for an extended amount of time, it was ok for what we needed, a few hours of sleep and a shower each day.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear VMR15,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We greatly appreciate your kind words about our customer service. While I am happy to hear about that positive experience, I am very sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We set high standards at our hotel so that we can offer guests comfortable accommodations down to the very last detail and I want to thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I will be sharing this with our team so that we can make necessary changes and better serve our guests in the future. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again so that we can ensure you have a positive experience here at the Best Western Savannah Gateway.

Alisha Patel

Bowmanville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We didn't like this hotel, the first room we got smelled like milldew and had stains from water on the carpets with no working air conditioner. The second room was better but not great! stains on the carpets, mildew in the shower! cracked walls, felt yucky. They ding you $10.00 for your teenagers so we just put them in as 17 or under. There is so many hotels on this street and I wouldn't stay in this one again. Pick another one they are all about the same price! Breakfast was aweful and tucked into a back corner while the Dennys was in the front. Towel holder came crashing down in the mens room when someone tried to dry their hands. Pool was the nicest thing, it is outdoor and well maintained. However Good luck trying to find pool towels or getting any from the front desk. We were told that she had put some on the pic nik table but didn't have anymore and would come out and check or get some more. That Never Happened!!! She never did bring towels and in the end we walked back to our rooms wet!When I told them about the mold in the tub they just looked down and basically ignored me. No "I'm terribly sorry mame, or let me take care of that right away. Nothing, I thought it was rude and unprofessional! Beds folded in the middle so your head and feet were both in the air at the same time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mena G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. We strive to offer each and every one of our guests a positive experience at the Best Western Savannah Gateway and I am sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your stay at our hotel. I appreciate your feedback and want to thank you for your kind words about the pool. I will share your concerns mentioned above with our team so that we can make necessary changes and improve the overall guest experience. Again, thank you for your time. It is your feedback that allows us to better serve future guests. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future so that we can ensure you have a positive experience here at the Best Western Savannah Gateway hotel.

Alisha Patel
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

We pulled in at 11pm on Sunday night. We were just looking for a cheap, clean place. The hotels across the street had a better rating but they wanted to charge us for the kids. Outside looked old and a bit sketchy so my husband went in to make sure it was clean. It was very humid since the air wasn't on, but that was the only issue. Most fixtures were updated. It's an older building but it seems to have been kept up. The front desk was very nice. Beds were comfortable. We stayed opposite the highway side. We found a good rate on the Priceline App, but we didn't book it there. My husband told them the Priceline rate and they matched it. For a short overnight stop, it was fine.

• Stayed August 2012
Alisha P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking time to do this- It is always nice to hear from satisfied guests. Please let us be of service to you again should you have a hotel need in Savannah.
Stuart, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This room was definitely not a good value for the money we spent. We were given a room on the freeway side of the motel and quickly realized the incredible noise level inside the room. The front desk staffer made us wait an inordinate amount of time when we returned to request a quieter room on the other side of the motel. Our room had inadequate lighting, a FILTHY bathroom (dirt and mold), a mattress that was so old it was permanently sunken in and extremely uncomfortable. There were no conveniences such as a refrigerator or microwave; only the bare essentials. The complimentary breakfast was mostly refined flour (white bread) items (muffins, waffles).

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel/motel.