“Savannah” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Foley House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Savannah
Foley House Inn
14 West Hull Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Offers & Announcements
2-Night Stay for $299
Ranked #15 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Chardon, Ohio, United States
“Savannah”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Very nice Inn. Rooms were large and clean! Breakfast was awesome! The location was perfect. Walked every where, close to River Street, shopping and restaurants. They say the Inn is haunted but never experienced any ghosts.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

647 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Much to our dismay we were put in the back house & had to walk up 3 outside flights of stairs. We had no hot water in the morning for showers & front desk lady said bc I didn't get up until 7 that I should expect them to be out of water! She finally said she,d let go into another in main building to take a shower but that would have required getting dressed & going outside in 40 degree weather. Our room is shabby & terrible decor with barely usable bathroom. The breakfast was probably worse one I've ever had in a B&B plus they have no dining room so you're sitting separately on couches & little tables. Like others said breakfast was late. We left it & found a restaurant. The staff (other than morning lady) was very friendly & easy to talk to. We would never come back here

• Stayed October 2013
foleyinnowner, Owner at Foley House Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. It sounds like we did not meet your expectations and I am sorry for that. The room you booked was in our carriage house that is directly behind our main house. It is a 2 story building so I can not explain why you had to walk up 3 flights of stairs. I talked to Christine (The morning front desk lady) and I did check the room about your hot water issue. I know that can be very frustrating to not have hot water. We never run out of hot water at our inn (we have 5 water heaters) and we did not get any other complaints about hot water so I am not sure why it did not work for you. Telling someone they need to shower before 7 does not make any sense so perhaps there was a misunderstanding. Christine has a beautiful french accent so maybe you misunderstood her meaning. Our guests can shower at anytime and will always have hot water. I have not been able to find out why it did not work in your case. I know when Christine offered you another room to shower in she was just trying to be helpful and make you happy.

I am sorry you did not enjoy our breakfast. We are a historic home built in 1860 so there is not a dedicated dining room. We serve breakfast in one of our parlors that is furnished with bistro tables that are meant for 2 people. We also have 2 larger tables that can accommodate 4 people. I think it's a nice arrangement as you can have a private breakfast or chat with another table nearby but are never forced to sit with people you do not know. No one ever has to sit on a sofa to eat. You can see a video of the parlors on our website as well as photos and videos of every room. We also serve breakfast outside in our courtyard when the weather is nice. It is very unusual that there would be a 40 degree morning in October. That sounds like a January morning. It's nice to have a fireplace on those mornings as 15 of our 19 rooms do.

I am sorry that our breakfast was not to your liking. We have a variety of things we serve such as Grits with Goat Cheese and Chives, Coconut Streusel Coffee Cake, Banana Pecan Muffins, Pineapple Upside Down French Toast, Banana Muffins with Streusel Topping, Buttermilk Peach Pecan Pancakes, Fruit-Filled French Toast Wraps, Corned Beef Hash Cakes with Poached Eggs. It is different every morning. We always offer eggs any style or omlettes and are happy to accommodate special requests. We know not everyone has the same tastes but we do our best to make folks happy.

Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I got married this past weekend 10/19/13 at the Foley House. I don't know where to start with our experience. Every single thing was perfect. The beauty of the Foley House, the staff, the coordination of everything. I didn't have to do one thing except tell Chiquita (the manager at the Foley House) what color roses I wanted. She does everything. During our stay the staff was so wonderful and pleasant, helping with reservations and suggestions. And the food........... The breakfasts were outstanding, then there is afternoon sweets which were decadent, then happy hour with wine and delicious appetizers. We didn't want to leave. We actually went to a couple of B&Bs when we were out site seeing one day and they didn't even compare to the Foley Houses' decor and location. If you want to have a memorable wedding or just vacation you must stay at the Foley House!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed in one of the less expensive rooms as I had asked for a quiet location. It was in the back in a separate building, up three flights of stairs. The room itself was comfortable, but the bathroom was tiny with a very low sink and broken tiles. The room was anything but quiet. We heard traffic all night long. The staff at the inn were very nice. The best part of the inn was the afternoon and evening snacks. There was a chocolate cake that I couldn't get enough of. The location of the hotel is fine. It was a bit of a walk to the river.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daytona Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

A+ on location
A+ for friendly staff
D on cleanliness. Dirty floors under bedroom bureaus. And dirt ( not just dust) has accumulated on all floor moldings (8" moldings). Looked down while eating breakfast and saw all the dirt on the molding and same in bedroom. Place just needs good cleaning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
foleyinnowner, Owner at Foley House Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for your review and thank you for letting us know where we needed to pay a little more attention. You are correct about the baseboard moldings in the parlor being dirty. They have been cleaned. We also went through all the rooms and checked under the furniture and made sure all of those areas are spotless.

I am glad you liked the staff and our location. They just can't be beat.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days in Savannah. It received excellent reviews in Conde' Nast Traveler, and they have very fine taste. Loved the Doddington room we chose, old English style. The service was wonderful, Chuck in particular was amiable , informative. Couldn't ask for a more centrally located place it seems Chippewa Square which it is across from , branches off in to all the other streets you would want to see of the historic district. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Savannah is quaint and beautiful. Wonderful walking city.

• Stayed October 2013
Lexington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was our second stay at the Foley House Inn so knew from our 2006 stay that the staff was not warm and friendly but still a great, convenient location in the historic district and beautiful inn and furnishings. That much has not changed but service has further declined. Chuck, the afternoon/evening manager onsite was very friendly and accomodating and Caleb was effeceint. However that's where the friendly, competant service ended. First of all, whoever was responsible for preparing our bill got mine mixed up with the family member who was traveling with us and gave her our room. This was easily remedied but they never changed the way the rooms were charged to our respective credit cards. In the end, our traveling companions were charged for their room as well as the balance due on ours. In fairness, Chuck had offered to put the correct names on the correct credit cards but since our rooms both cost the same we didn't want to put him to the trouble, but somehow they messed it up even further.
Being early risers, we opted for the first breakfast seating of 7:30am. Coffee was to be available in the parlor for guests at 7:15 every morning. Not only was there no coffee but there was no staff to make it. The daytime manager (a tall young woman with red hair) walked through the front door at 7:23 followed several mins later by a member of the cook staff, who was follwed a few mins afterwards by the chief cook. None of them were apologetic and we were offered the ridiculous excuse that the coffee maker was new and had to reach 200 degrees before it started making coffee. We finally got coffee (awful I might add) at 7:40 and breakfast close to 8:30 with most of the other guests. I reported this to Chuck that afternoon. He was very apologetic and said he would take care of it. The next morning the awful coffee was ready on time but no cook. We spotted her at 7:25 walking in (even later than she had arrived the day before)as we were on our way across the street to get some decent coffee and food at a nearby cafe.
The afternoon tea and sweets as well as the evening wine and hors d'oeurvres were nice and tasty and actually set out a little ahead of time (different set of staff in the afternoon).
Overall, I gave this inn 4 stars rather than 3 just because of the other amenities despite the poor service and inattentive staff. They need to step up their game with all the competition that is available in the Savannah historic area. The Hamilton-Turner Inn is nicer and we received much better service there several years ago but is also pricier. If you can afford to pay a bit more I would recommend trying them rather than the Foley House.

Room Tip: if you ar3 looking for a quiet room the upper level carriage house rooms are very quiet. I stayed in...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am sorry there was any confusion with the room check-in. Sometimes when family members traveling together have the same last name that can happen. I know Chuck did get you into the correct room and offered to change the names on the bills but since the rooms were the same price it all worked out.

On your first morning here the two people that come in first were both late and thus your coffee and breakfast were both served late. There is no excuse for this and I am very sorry that happened. I did hear about them being late later that day and I talked to both of them about it. They were here on-time the next morning. The person you saw at 7:25 was the breakfast server, not our chef. Her shift starts at 7:30. We always have our coffee and tea out by 7:15 and breakfast service starts at 7:30. I explained to them the importance of sticking to our schedule for our guests. This is not a normal occurrence here and it will not happen again.

I am glad you enjoyed our afternoon tea and sweets as well as the evening wine and hors d'oeurvres.

800-647-3708

Been to Foley House Inn? Share your experiences!