“Loved this Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Loved this Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

My friend and I booked this hotel because it was the best priced for the location. We walked all over the place from here. The Hotel staff was so good to us, gave us a beautiful view of the river on the 8th floor. Always there to help us with directions and questions. The breakfast area was neat and clean and well stocked, the food was good the staff was there to please always smiling. We even went down on Labor Day weekend.
The only draw back we had was the hot tub was out of service, and the pool was half the size it depicted in the pictures, couldn't swim laps as it was only 4 ft deep. Nice view from the top of the building.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
kelliepickhardt, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out this review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel!! I am so sorry for the time that the hot tub was out of service. Maintenance issues are never a welcome problem, just one we are forced to deal with. I apologize if this disrupted your trip in any way. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon!! Amanda Pouyat AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Smithville, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

This hotel was beautiful and clean. But you really pay for it! The location was as safe as possible considering some dark allys further down on the way to the hot spots, But I never felt uncomfortable there at night. The River walk is just across the street; full of art, music, locals, bbq, acrobats, all kinds of fun stuff. We will take our kid next time. The Parks are absolutely gorgeous and just a short walk away. Everything was in walking distance!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
We hope that you spend every honeymoon with us!!
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

I am a hotel snob and had my doubts. It's just a Holiday Inn Express, after all. But the reviews were great so I took a chance, and am so glad I did! This was the best experience we have ever had at a hotel, and we have stayed at some pretty ritzy places. The staff was incredible: efficient, friendly, helpful, professional, attentive. The decor was impressive, the rooms lovely and comfortable, and the buffet breakfast far exceeded our expectations. Hands down the best we have ever had. Don't skip the hot cinnamon rolls - yum! The whole place was great, but the staff is what really sets it apart. Every one of them worked to make our stay special. It felt like we were staying at a 5-star hotel, but with a warm, bed-and-breakfast type staff that was personally invested in making the experience wonderful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
We agree!! Our goal is to be the hotel of choice in downtown Savannah. I am so happy that your stay was a success!! Please tell all your friends to come and visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights from August 16th through the 21st. I was delightfully surprised to see that they had upgraded our room (at no cost) to a king bed after only paying for a Queen. The continental breakfast was quite large and was actually really good. When we decided we wanted to stay an extra night, the manager allowed us to stay at the same rate even though it was a weekend night and should have cost considerably more per the rates online. The fitness center was small, but could have easily served the purpose. However, there was only two treadmills, one elliptical, and a large machine for weights, etc. The elliptical moved when you were on it and did not feel at all secure. The rooftop pool was nice and the view was awesome. Honestly, I really only have one complaint/concern about this hotel. On our last day there, we were getting ready to go to Tybee Island. However, it had started storming really bad. The electric had actually flickered a couple of times. Apparently this caused the elevators to stop working. We stood at the elevators (on the ground floor) for 2-3 minutes before I finally had to ask the desk clerk if they were working. Since they weren't, we decided to wait it out since we didn't feel like walking up 8 flights of stairs. The storm got worse and the thunder and lightening became quite scary. I watched several other guests walk up to the elevators and stand while the desk clerks failed to saying notify them that the elevator was down. I decided to tell them myself since no one else was apparently going to. Within a few minutes a siren started to go off outside of the hotel. I approached the hotel clerk to ask him what it was to which he replied that he "thought" it was a tornado warning. I asked to clarify if it was a "warning" or a "watch" and he didn't seem to be sure. Long story short, the siren eventually stopped going off and there apparently was no tornado. If anything, I would say that the hotel could use some training on customer handling during severe weather etc. Aside from that, the location is perfect and you can't beat the value for the price! I'm not sure how much the valet parking actually is, but I would recommend parking in the garage beside the hotel.

Leesville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

My wife and I visited historic Savannah and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on East Bay St. with a group of approximately 20 couples. To my knowledge everyone was as delighted as we were with the way we were treated from check in until check out. It is in an ideal location, the rooms clean and comfortable and the staff very professional and friendly. A great value.

• Stayed August 2010
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

This hotel was awesome. Booked this hotel well in advance approx 2 months with a no refund but saved 20 dollars. Everyone was friendly and accomodating. Rooms were sweet and beds very comfortable. Walking distance to everything we wanted to do. Riverwalk across the street . I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The pool on the roof was also nice. Breakfast in the am was good too. Very clean! I would stay there again anytime. Not one bad thing to say about this hotel......

Prince George, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

My family stayed here August 27-29 on the way back from a cruise. We've always wanted to see Savannah and with this was right in the middle of the historic district. The hotel was beautifully appointed downstairs in the lobby. When we asked the history of the building we were shocked to find it was only a couple of years old. There were a couple of employees to direct us where to go when we pulled up to the hotel (the area is busy with traffic) and immediately they brought us a luggage cart to unload. They even offered to take them to the room! We were checked in by Randolph who seemed genuinely pleased to see us (at this point in time I thought we had stepped through the rabbit hole with all of the courtesy and what appeared to be genuine happiness to help us). Our room was clean with all of the modern touches, it was a little noisy but what do you expect in the city with a balcony? The view from the sixth floor was nice, you could see the river and the clock tower well. The breakfast was good for a continental, everything was hot and the attendants were again, very friendly. Just when I thought we could not have stumbled onto a nicer bunch of people I was again surprised by the genuine warmth and helpfulness of the staff.

My daughter had an allergic reaction to something (still don't know what) while we were in a toy store on River Street (less than 5 minutes walking from the hotel). Her eye had started swelling badly and the area around that got very blotchy with little bumps. Of course it had just started pouring rain outside but I knew we had to get some Benadryl in her fast! We were directed to the Hyatt down the street from the store because they had a convenience store but they didn't have any. We had to run back to the HIE to get our car keys because we had been given directions to the Kroger (there is a CVS two blocks from the hotel but they close at 8!) When we got in (soaking wet) we were offered towels and when the night manager Richard found out about what was going on he volunteered to go get the meds himself! The bartender made my daughter a cold compress and offered to order us a pizza. I was so stunned by how above and beyond the staff went. The hotel itself was nice but the staff made this a 5 star for sure. If every Holiday Inn had staff like this they would be the number one chain in the land. My sincerest gratitude to the entire staff who helped a panicked Mom a little more assured.

PS Park in the parking deck next door to the hotel.My husband was able to go to the office of the parking deck and get a 48 hour pass for $12 - much cheaper than the hotel and it allowed you to park in several decks around the city!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Let me thank you for your wonderful comments. I am thrilled that the staff was there for you in your time of need and I am so happy that they were able to bring some comfort to you. I have applauded all of the team for going above and beyond and challenged them to continue to carry this forward to all of our guests. I hope that your family is all well and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Amanda Pouyat, AGM

Been to Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District? Share your experiences!