“Great Room, and views from Roof.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
San Jose, California
“Great Room, and views from Roof.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The hotel was great from the moment we checked in. Being an IHG rewards member, they offered us free snacks for the night. Who can deny free food? The elevators where fairly quick and satisfactory. Our room was a little tight, but the bathroom made up for the limited space in the room, as it was a very decent size for a room in a historical area where room is hard to achieve. The room was very clean, and there was little to no noise that could be heard throughout the night. The pool is on a roof-deck, we did not use it, but it looked quite nice. The deck itself is a great area to hang out on a nice day, as it has a great view overlooking the Mississippi and across it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hope G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write us such an amazing review, please come again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

So many other reviewers have cited the hotel's high qualities in all areas, I can't really add too much except agree it is a top place to stay. Location in a prime spot, well appointed suites and superb staff attention are factors always on my list. I reserved my room 10 months ago to guarantee getting a room in a sought after establishment, to celebrate a milestone anniversary. It did not let us down, and we left with happy memories of Savannah and the HIExpress on Bay St.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hope G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Wow, what a huge compliment, thanks for your wonderful review of our facility. Please come again!
Americus, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed here on a family weekend trip to Savannah. Our room was a king on the 8th floor. The room was great. Just a view of the parking garage but we had not requested a view so that was fine. We loved the fact that there is a soft & firm pillow on the bed for each person. Room was clean and bed was comfortable.It had a mini fridge, mircowave and one cup coffee pot. There was a really nice stone tile shower in the bathroom. No tub though(we only take showers so no problem there) My sister's family was in a double room and they did have a tub so i guess it just depends on the type of room you have. All the staff that we encountered were friendly and spoke when they saw us. We were there on a really busy weekend so there was a lot of waiting at the elevators.One was not working when we arrived due to a thunderstorm knocking out power & that was a mess with everyone trying to check in & get to their rooms and housekeeping was trying to get from floor to floor to get the rooms all ready. All in all, a great place to stay. Everything was within walking distance & we didn't move our cars all weekend.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hope G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay with us, please come again!
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We booked this hotel on the recommendation of friends who had recently stayed here. They said we should book a corner king room on a high floor, which we did. The room was very large with 4 windows on two sides. There were views of the river and the ship traffic. The room was very spacious and worth the slightly more expense. This hotel was the best Holiday Inn Express we have ever stayed in.

Asia at the front desk made every effort to ensure our check in went well. We arrived shortly after 3 and our room was not ready. She checked our luggage and gave us a phone call when the room was finished. The time allowed us our first chance to begin to explore this enchanting city.

The breakfast room is very large and tastefully decorated. The ladies who managed the room were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Choose a corner king room on a high floor. If you stay on a lower floor street noise may be an issue...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hope G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us such an amazing review, I will let Asia know to keep up the good work! Please some back and see us.
Northern New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

When I made this reservation, the woman I spoke with promised a room on the top floor if I reserved a balcony room. At check-in I was told my room would be on the third floor, which I already knew didn't have much of a view other than tree tops. The lady at the front desk changed my reservation to floor five, but it's still not the view promised when I made the reservation. The balcony isn't much - no chair to sit on. The whole point was to watch the river, which I couldn't see except for a small space between trees. I was disappointed and I would have reserved a room without a balcony for a lower rate if I had known in advance. I cannot give this place an "excellent" review because of this.

About that balcony - mine had a huge puddle of water in it the entire time. Not fun to step around and inevitably step in anyway.

The hot tub on the roof had greenish water in it and looked disgusting. A maintenance person was called but he didn't do any work on it.

The room I had faced a very busy street and traffic noise was loud throughout the night. This didn't bother me, but another traveler might not appreciate it. Otherwise the hotel was very quiet.

The room was clean enough but could use a deep-cleaning. Water in the shower was instantly hot, but I agree with other reviewers who said there is an odd slimy feeling, almost like it's hard water and soap doesn't wash off very well.

Breakfast was the usual fair. My kids loved the pancake machine. The women running the show were super friendly.

We did not encounter any issues with the elevators as previous reviewers had mentioned.

This hotel is in a great location for exploring. I love that a trolley stop was right outside. I highly recommend the Old Town Trolley Company (the orange and green trolley).

Room Tip: Make sure you are guaranteed a higher floor if that's what you want - I was promised a higher fl...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your valuable feedback, I will make sure the front desk is better informed on the room types and the floors going forward so future guest are not inconvenienced. All recommendations are taken into consideration for the improvement of our facility, so thanks for giving us your feedback and we apologize if your stay was not to your liking. Have a wonderful day.
Punta Gorda, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I agree that the location of this hotel is convenient to the riverfront and historic district, but it was basically an average, old hotel. When we were there, only one of the two elevators was working. It was very slow and there was always a wait. The ice machine on our floor was also out of order. The room was small, but clean. Personnel was pleasant. Our view was the parking garage, but we didn't spend much time in the room, so that didn't detract from our visit. The rate was a little less than the hotel across the street where we usually stay on our once-a-year stop in Savannah, but they were booked. I might stay here again, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Room Tip: We weren't given a choice of rooms and only saw "our" room, so I can't make a reco...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
I want to apologize about the elevators and nay inconvenience it may have caused you. Thank you for your valuable feedback, and have a great day!
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Our family of four (two adults, two teenagers) stayed here for one night on the drive from Ontario, Canada to Florida. It was a little off the I-95, but worth it for a restful stop in very beautiful Savannah after a day on the road. It was a bit more expensive than hotels near the I-95, but worth it for the location and surroundings.

The rooms were very nice and our top floor room had great views of the river. The kids enjoyed the rooftop pool. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area and walking around town with its historic buildings and park squares was nice after spending hours in the car.

The internet connection was spotty on our floor (frequently dropping out altogether), but was fine on the first floor.

The hotel appeared quite busy when we were there (July 24, 2014) and it was hard to find seating at the breakfast buffet, but we eventually did.

The exercise room was a bit small and stifling with no air circulation. They should put a fan in their and air condition it a bit better. They could also use a floor exercise mat. I made these comments on checkout. I said I went up there as I thought running there would be less stifling than the outside humidity. I think I may have been wrong there.

All in all, this was a very nice place. I would return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your valuable feedback, please come again.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District? Share your experiences!