“Would stay here again!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 112 hotels in Savannah
North Augusta, South Carolina
“Would stay here again!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed during the Rock & Roll Marathon. The hotel was beautiful and clean. The staff were all very nice and professional. The location was perfect for eating out and walking along river street. The breakfast was wonderful. I found the room very quiet especially considering it was during the Rock and Roll Marathon!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

1,440 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Ulsan, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a really nice location if you want to park your car and walk everywhere! Easy walk to the River Walk and the City Market. Friendly, helpful front desk staff, nice bar, very nice King room facing the river. Bed linens and towels are nice...and a good shower! Standard Holiday Inn breakfast is served in the morning. Free USA Today and WSJ. Altho' we didn't see it there is a pool and Jacuzzi upstairs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
West Sand Lake, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Ideal location relative to the historic district and riverfront - easy walk to everything. Comfortable beds, clean and quiet rooms, nice free breakfast, reasonable cost and helpful and friendly staff. We'll be back here again next time in Savannah..

• Stayed October 2012
Sylva, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We knew from other post's to park in the parking garrage next door for $8 versus the hotel's valet for $20. If you are ok w/ paying the fee no problem but if you are willing to walk a few steps (literally) you can save a few $'s. Walked right up to the desk, gave my name and cc/id and we had to keys in hand, very quickly. However, I will say the girl wasnt rude or mean but she wasnt really friendly, she just seemed closed off. No worries, I keep it moving as I always do. Everything is in walking distance and you can feel comfortable doing so, as a matter of fact we were so happy to find out that the resturant we wanted to eat at, was literally right behind the hotel, The Old Pink House, you can NOT miss this resturant unbelievable, I will post that review for them. They have free breakfast which we didnt use, approached the desk to check out handed her my keys and the morning girl said, ok thats it!!!! I was kind of fumbled but only had one cup of room coffee and not thinking, said OK then, she asked if everything was satisfactory, I said Oh yes it was. After returning home, I realized she never gave me or offered up my paper bill? I do like to look at the charges so if there was a problem I can say so right then and there. Checked my CC for the total when I got home and then it really bugged me. So live and learn I will go back to this hotel and next time... I will ask for my paper bill if it isnt offered. Minor issue, but I always like to see the taxes and fees that hotels charge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Alfonce M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
We are happy to see that your stay with us was satisfactory. We would have loved for it to have been perfect and we apologize for that. We believe in great customer service and being honest. I will make sure that my team offers a finally bill with every check out and a little more personality at check in. Please come back to visit us and thank you for the review.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel goes out of its way to roll out the welcome mat for runners. They even have Powerade and snack bars in the room. Staff is very friendly and helpful. I plan to be back next year for my third year in a row. Don't forget to make dinner reservation at Garibaldi's too. Everything is within walking distance but if you don't feel like it after the race pedicabs are fun and easy to find.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Alfonce M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you so much for leaving a review. Rock N Roll Marathon was a success again and it was all because of people like you. We really enjoyed making your staff wonderful. We understand that you could have picked from any other hotel and you decided on us. That really means a lot, so thank you again and see you next year.
Gainesville, Florida (home of the Gators!)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really enjoy this hotel. The rooms are nice. Location is great. Breakfast was good. And, above all, outstanding customer service. Jackie in the restaurant area was quite helpful. Justin, who handled Valet, really helped us out. But, by far, Jimmy, the front desk manager, went way beyond the call of duty to handle a perturbed customer (me). With calm professionalism, he made things right.

I cannot express enough how this hotel, and these three hotel personnel highlights, helped shed a positive light on the Holiday Inn chain for me.

I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Alfonce M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Wow!! We appreciate such a great review and thank you for acknowledging our team members for their service. I'm sorry to hear that you had an issue, but I'm also happy to hear that my team was able to handle it with grace. The time taken to complete such a review lets the staff know that their hard work is not overlooked and to keep up with the great customer service.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We booked three King rooms for my wife and I and our mothers for a couple of nights in Savannah. Check-in was pleasant and helpful. They had taken note of our request on the reservation for rooms on a higher floor to avoid the worst of the traffic noise on Bay St. They had also upgraded one room to a corner room. The rooms were all a good size with good facilities. We went for river view on Bay St side and did not find the traffic noise interfered with sleep (we were on floor 6 out of 8).

[Side note for HI management - the email address given on the web-site doesn't work. When I called HI reservations, they checked it and said it was OK - but it wasn't. An alternative address we found on the hotel's web-site also didn't work. Need to attend to these basics - we rely a lot on email given that we were booking from a different timezone and would probably have given up and gone elsewhere had we not had a friends and family rate for this chain.]

Housekeeping was OK during our stay although there were minor issues like teabags not being replenished. Cleaning of the rooms was fine, but the hotel is overdue for a deep clean IMO. Our light coloured socks became filthy from the carpets.

Beds seemed a little lumpy at first, but actually we all slept well so no issues there. Overall we enjoyed our stay and as has been stated in other reviews the location of the hotel is worth a great deal (we ate at the Pink House on our last night and that was a 1 minute walk).

The only negatives with the stay relate I think to the Holiday Inn Express format rather than this individual hotel. These comments are just for people (like us) who were not familiar with the format and what to expect. We found the in-room amenities a bit odd. There was a small kitchen type sink, a fridge, coffee machine and microwave, but just some styrofoam cups. Whilst there was some coffee and a few teabags, there was no creamer etc. Reception were quick to provide some cartons of milk, but after a long drive, it would be nice to be able to make a cup of coffee or tea quickly and easily in a proper cup (perhaps with a cookie). I guess it's all part of how they achieve the price point, but was a surprise even after scouring the web-site and lots of reviews here so just be aware. We never got the fridge to work and although we didn't try our coffee machine, my Mum couldn't get heres to produce coffee - there were no instructions in the room which might have helped.

Same goes for the breakfast. I knew there was a buffet, but I guess we haven't been to similar places in the US (despite travelling here a lot) and were surprised by what was on offer. There's a decent choice including pancakes (from a machine), hot items (in a heated cabinet with powdered scrambled eggs or omelet, bacon and sausage or ham. Also biscuits and a country gravy (actually the gravy was pretty good :-)). Lots of pastries, muffins, bagels and the opportunity to make toast. Coffee in flasks and juices from a machine. There were also some cereals and yogurts. So, a good selection and we certainly started our day full. The only complaints relate to the marginal quality of some items and the horrible styrofoam plates and flimsy plastic cutlery - just nasty. But as long as you know what you're getting there was nothing else to complain about. The breakfast room is clean and all the public areas were nicely decorated. The buffet was all kept well-replenished too.

Others have commented on the staff at this hotel, and we'd certainly echo those thoughts. Almost all are excellent and make the place. Mehmet at the door is a great guy who we had chatted with and who pointed us in the direction of a few good places. We came back one evening after our meal and just sat for a while in the bar area by the fire not really in the mood for drinking. The lady from the bar made the effort to come and tell us that they had hot chocolate set up and we could help ourselves. Little things, but they make a big difference.

Overall - I'd recomend this for stay in Savannah balancing great location, good comfort whilst being moderately priced given the location.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor to avoid noise (like any city hotel). Non view rooms look at the car park. R...