“Its exactly what I expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District

You added Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   520 West Bryan Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Yamacraw Village)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #64 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
ZP83
“Its exactly what I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

Four points are not horrible hotels. They usually do try to accommodate their guests the best they can and in this case they did. The front desk manage upgraded me and my two other friends to a suite so that everyone was comfortable. I really appreciated them doing that for us rather than shoving us into one standard room. The hotel it self I would recommend for families and sight seers. Savannah really does have a lot to offer its visitors and this hotel can help you with all of your questions and tell you what's worth doing and what is not. It was a great help to us. The breakfast in the morning was pretty basic just enough to get me going and to lunch. So it did its job. Overall I give this hotel very good marks for excellent service. They truly tried hard to make my stay in savannah memorable which it was. Good Job!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

This property was a perfect place to stay during our 2 day trip to Savannah. We got a fantastic rate of $80 on the Starwood website. It is exactly on the borderline street of the Historic District. At first I thought I'd want to be located closer to the center of the District, but being on the edge allowed us to see the district from end to end during the 2 days -- otherwise I probably would have stayed in the center the whole time, and missed a lot. The property itself is exactly what I expected in a Four Points: basic room with no frills. I didn't expect any luxury, so I didn't miss it! Yes, the wallcoverings were scuffed and the light fixtures were dusty, but everything smelled fresh. They had holiday-scented candles burning in the lobby and the decorations were festive.

There were a few minuses that didn't really bother me since I only paid $80 a night. After checking in, we went to our room and found that it was only partially ready; the bed still was unmade. We were given a new set of keys to another room, and it was completely ready. After sightseeing for a few hours, we returned to the hotel and found the keys did not work in the room door. So, back to the front desk for new keys.

This minus DID bother me: The hotel charged us $15/day for use of the parking lot, even though we had no car! They just assumed we had driven to the hotel, but we had taken a taxi. I'm glad I checked the statement they slipped under the door before I left.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

I stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton Historic Savannah the weekend of December 4-5. I have been a faithful Sheraton (Starwood Hotel group) fan for years. I typically stay in a Starwood property (for points) whenever I travel. I was excited to see a Four Points in Savannah back in the Spring of '09, and I knew I would stay here I returned in December.

First off, I will NEVER stay here again. This was the smallest room I have ever encountered staying in a Sheraton related property. Room size is not why I have problems with the property. My room smelled very musty as though it had been sealed for quite some time. I turned on the air and propped the door open to air the room.

Shortly thereafter, I noticed the noise level. My room (on the 3rd floor ) faced W. Bay st. Whatever you do, avoid this side of the hotel. Vehicles (multiple large trucks) roar through the intersection throughout the night. It was the next morning that I realized my car was parked in the unsecured lot 3 floors below, and I was charged $15/night for the privilege.

The bathtub was frightening to say the least. There were obvious stains in the bottom of the bathtub. It also appeared that someone attempted to cover mold/mildew with bathroom caulking - there was an apparent darkness where the caulking had been smoothed out unevenly.

That said, if you don't mind mold, mildew, odors, noise, and outrageous valet parking, then the location is pretty good for the edge of the tourist historic district.

Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed one Saturday night. We took advantage of a special that Starwood Hotels was running and booked the hotel for $75 a night before tax. If you pay full price you are being RIPPED OFF. They have the nerve to ask for $15 to valet park. The valet barely looked awake...should he be trusted with someone's vehicle?

The room APPEARED nice but it was very small. Great flat screen TV but with no HD what is the point! The view was lacking at best. The bathroom was not clean. The shower was deplorable at best. The glass shower doors were caked with soap scum. All in all it looked like they changed the sheets and vacuumed the room prior to our arrival...nothing more than that.

The best part of the experience was leaving and the 2 free bottles of water. All in all I wouldn't even recommend this place to my worst enemy!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

The extended family met in Savannah for Thanksgiving. Stayed two nights, three days.Even on a short staff they were great. Rooms were very clean. Staff was very polite and always helpful. They helped make Thanksgiving great. I would recommend the Four Points in the Historic District to anyone.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

My husband stayed at the Sheraton on a Sunday and Monday night. We took advantage of a special that Starwood Hotels was running and booked the hotel for $82/night (without tax). The hotel was new and boasted some of the best looking hotel rooms (outside of the Bohemian or the Avia) of any of the ones that I looked into booking. The price was comparable with other hotels in the historic district of the same star rating.

The room was nice with extremely tall ceilings, but my husband complained that it was small. I thought it was medium sized. The frigid air conditioner (as my husband insisted on cranking up) worked well, there were marble top surfaces and a flat screen TV. Our view was pretty dismal...a concret parking lot looking towards a gas station. There was a VERY bright light outside in said parking lot, but fortunately the black out shade worked well. The hotel might want to look into acquring this lot in order to maintain its ambience.

Our checkout was slow; there was only one clerk and she insisted on answering the phone before checking us in. It was kind of annoying, but oh well.

The hotel boasts that it gives out bottled water for free, but we never saw any. The parking is $15/night, which I thought was entirely too much. That is an Atlanta rate for parking at a hotel! We ended up parking our car in a city owned parking garage for $10.

Otherwise our stay was pleasant. If you want a newer hotel with top notch finishes for a 3 star price, then this place is a good bet.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Potomac Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

My husband and I went to Savannah with our 12 year old daughter. We are loyal Sheraton people so booked the Four Points historic district using cash and points. When we arrived at the hotel they were having a reuinon event so the lobby was packed. We checked in and they only option for parking is a $15 a day valet service. When we got to our room, we immediately realized that the window shade wasn't working. We called downstairs and they said someone would check it. The room was very dark and since we couldn't raise the shade, it was very dreary. They never sent anyone and during our two day stay, made 3 more unanswered requests. I then ran the bath for my daughter, however, when I saw the hair floating on top..I made her take a shower! It was obvious the tub had not been cleaned. We went down to the bar and my husband ordered a draft beer. The bartenter said the CO2 didn't work and spent the next 30 minutes complaining about hotel management to us. The next morning we down to the restaurant (if you could call it that) for breakfast. The sign said "Buffet Breakfast $10". I asked how much for children (our daughter was standing with us)...they said half for children. We ate the breakfast and our daughter had milk and a muffin. When the bill came, they charged full price for our 12 year old. I asked why we had been told 1/2 price for children...they said children under 5. I pointed out that she was standing with us and obviously wasn't five! Most four points kids eat free!!!!
We spent the day in Savannah (a great city) and came back to let our daughter take a quick swim...we could not see the drain in the cloudy pool so could not let her swim. We again went to the front desk to let them know and they again said...someone would look at it and our window shade. Neither were followed up on. There is no real gift shop in the hotel....just a 3 x 7 space behind the desk with a cooler. There are no drink machines. The cooler had 3 Beers and a Dr. Pepper in it. It was completely empty and not restocked for two days. You couldn't even get a bottled water. The next day it was pooring rain so we were waiting in the lobby bar. I ordered a glass of wine but the bartender could not find a cork screw and the draft beer wasn't working. We had met a very nice group and they had had nothing but problems. We were walking out of the hotel...which is right on the border of the city and noticed our rental car parked alone in an empty unsecured lot. THAT was the valet parking we paid for. They said the gargage had been full because of the banquet and that was there overflow. I asked why they hadn't moved our car back in the garage and they could not explain. I could go on and on. I immediately contacted Sheraton upon my return. I received an email from the hotel manager apologizing and offering me a free weekend. We live 11 hours away and would ot buy another airline ticket for a free weekend. He said he had already contacted Sheraton to return my points. It has been 3 months now and he has not followed thru. I have contacted Sheraton who said that the hotel just keeps not following thru. I don't like to write negative reviews and had hoped that they would follow thru with THEIR offer and hopefully provide better service for future guests.
I think the hotel is very poorly managed and it is one of the very few Sheraton Four Points that I would not recommend.
Hopefully if the management changes...the hotel will too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District? Share your experiences!