“Nice hotel, great staff, decent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District

You added Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   520 West Bryan Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Yamacraw Village)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #64 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Birmingham, Alabama
“Nice hotel, great staff, decent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I spent one night at the Sheraton Four Points while I was in Savannah for a continuing education class. I got a good deal through Delta Vacations.

I was very pleased with my stay. My flight got in early and I arrived at the hotel around 11:30. I fully expected to stow my bags with the front desk staff while I toured around Savannah before check in. I was pleasantly surprised when Jackie at the front desk said that there was a room available and I could go on up! She was also very helpful in giving me directions and advice about tours and rush hour traffic for the next day. The valet staff was also extremely friendly and had me my car within 5 minutes when I was leaving the next morning. I wasn't the only person there either, which further impressed me. I think it was either underground or covered parking because there wasn't any condensation or frost on the car. Totally worth the $18 to not have to get in a freezer cold car!

My room was pretty standard and a bit small, but it was comfortable and I appreciated that the furnishings (desk, dresser) weren't quite so "hotel-looking". I had a great view of the pool as well. The bathroom was very small too and there isn't much of a vanity to speak of. However, this is a hotel in the historic district so I didn't have an issue with the size. My room was very clean and smelled fresh.

I had a problem with my TV so I called down to the front desk and someone from maintenance was there in less than 5 minutes. No joke. I've stayed in hotels all over the country and in Europe and have never had someone at my door so quickly. The first staffer couldn't fix the problem as it was a hotel-wide issue so her supervisor came up and replaced my remote and adjusted the TV. It all took less than 10 minutes and they were very apologetic and sincere.

I had a drink in the hotel bar, which had a nice selection of daily specials, and took advantage of the breakfast buffet before I checked out. There are two options, continental breakfast for $5 or full breakfast with made-to-order eggs and omelets for $12. I felt like that was a fairly reasonable price for the hotel and location. My waitress was very friendly and took the time to show me the buffet and brought me tea despite the coffee station being self-service. The food was decent - pretty standard hotel buffet; I went with the continental breakfast but from what I saw of the eggs coming out of the kitchen, the full breakfast looked good too.

My only (minor) complaint was the location. I had never been to Savannah before, and despite checking the location of the hotel on a map, I assumed it would be more in the heart of the historic district. It's definitely on the edge, but City Market, a good amount of shops, and the trolley tours are only a 5-10 minute walk away. The hotel is nearby several large SCAD buildings so there were a lot of students roaming around. It wasn't exactly what I expected from a hotel labeled "historic district" but there was lots close by so I don't think it's a huge issue.

Overall, I was very satisfied with my stay and the level of service I received. I would definitely stay in a Four Points hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool. It doesn't face the street (which is very busy) so it'...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Turkish first
Pgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I am not one to complain much about hotels. I have traveled much for work and in some pretty remote locations and in some pretty low tier hotels, and I can honestly say I have never encountered a less competent and less friendly staff as I have at the Four Points Sheraton Savannah. We had multiple issues with our reservation, despite the fact that we had booked rooms 6 months+ in advance and had confirmation numbers on hand. In the end, they "lost" one of our rooms entirely and blamed it first on the "system" and then on Starwood. Instead of helping us, one front desk attendee simply ignored us and answered the phone. They claimed no manager was on duty that we could speak to. Please. This was the Rock and Roll Marathon. The hotel was sold out. And no manager was on duty??? The other front desk clerk shouted to my companion that he was being "very rude" while she was serving another customer. If you know the first thing about business, you NEVER speak to a customer that way. I was appalled. Someone needs to teach these women how to talk to customers and how to resolve a problem and take some accountability. General Manager, you have an issue with your front desk staff. Despite the relatively pleasant rooms and kind staff otherwise, these folks ruined my experience at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Lynn M,
I am so sorry to hear about the negative experience you had while staying at our hotel. I completely agree about customer service, and I am so sorry that you and your guests were treated that way. It certainly isn’t a standard that we want to portray at Starwood or the Four Points Savannah. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that we can address the issue and use it as a learning opportunity moving forward. I have passed your review along to our management team so that they are aware, and if you would like, I encourage you to reach out to the general manager, Graham Asher (graham.asher@fourpointshistoricsavannah.com) who would be more than happy to discuss the matter with you further. Again, I am so sorry that your time at our hotel was not pleasant, but I do hope that the rest of your time in Savannah was much better.
Cookeville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband, friends and I ran the Savannah Rock n' Roll Half Marathon November 2013. I booked our rooms about six months ahead of time. This hotel was about five or six down the list due to location, mainly because it isn't on the Savannah Riverfront. We paid about $250 per night and were able to walk to the marathon start. I was concerned when I booked it that something may be wrong with the hotel. I think it was priced lower only because of location. The staff was super friendly, the lobby was charming and seemed recently renovated with contemporary and fashionable interiors. The same was the story with the rooms. Everything was neat as a pin, beds were enticingly comfortable and the views up on the 4th and 5th floors were appealing. The price was more than reasonable, especially for a peek marathon weekend. We would stay here again, no doubt.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
North, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Walking distance to river, historic district, and market place. Super nice front desk staff. We were there on a wednesday so in the bar around 5:30 to 6:30 they have a complimentary micro brew tasting and food sampling. The room was clean and comfortable. King size bed forth floor pool side. If you can find street parking, it is free. If not, valet for $18 a night. (Underground or over flow lot next door) breakfast options, buffet for 12.00 or continental $5. Good coffee in lobby. Also a Starbucks a few blocks over.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here for College Day in Sav'h and we got a great room on the top floor.....the beds were so comfortable it just hugged you while you slept....I've never stayed at a Sheraton property, I'm a Marriott Girl, but this hotel has me thinking about switching....hmmmm......The parking was different were as it was onstreet parking for free or pay $18, I think, to do valet...Breakfast bar was good too and oh the hotel is with in walking distance of Broughton Street and they have some very nice stores for shopping....

Room Tip: Choose top floor in the corner
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room looked out on the river. The rooms are tasteful and spacious. The bathroom had a large granite counter area. Enough for my husband and I to have a counter for each of us. As usual, the bathroom was showing a little wear, but not enough to put me off. Nice flat panel on the wall, a bar sized refrigerator, which was great for cokes etc. The hotel also supplies you with complimentary bottled water every day and a cup sized coffee maker. There is coffee in the lobby every morning and a free local paper. On Wed evening we had a complimentary snack, which was pulled pork sliders, mustard potato salad and a green salad with Italian dressing. It also included a local beer. The concierge was very knowledgeable and pleasant. All of the staff were very helpful and courteous. Even though we had a car, we walked to all of the historic sights. We were able to find free parking on the street beside the hotel. I booked this on Hotwire and got a fantastic price. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: North side 3rd floor had a view of the river boats.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Southington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I would recommend this hotel for a visit to Savannah. The location is excellent-very close to City Market and easy access to the Historic District.
The staff is wonderful! Very friendly, polite and most accomodating. The Concierge was most helpful. He answered any any questions and had recommendations for things to do and see..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District? Share your experiences!