“Okay stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District

You added Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   520 West Bryan Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Yamacraw Village)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #64 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Okay stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Average hotel stay, rooms were on the small side. Although the staff was friendly, they weren't overly helpful. We had to wait 30 minutes for pool towels and even though they said they would bring them right to us poolside, we had to go back inside and get them. We also had to wait until 3:00 PM one day for our sheets and towels to be changed, from past experience at other hotels they are usually knocking down the door at 10 AM.

We were very disappointed in the fitness center, it was 80 degrees in the very small room (it had A/C but the control was either broken or disabled) and there was only one treadmill, a bike, a stability ball and several yoga mats. Not what I would consider a fitness center.

Overall the hotel was clean and very close to the market area but also very close to the part of town we were advised by locals to stay away from.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Starting this review with a back-story. After a medical emergency with our son forced us at the last minute to cancel a trip to Hawaii because he was not allowed to fly we were then told we had to use our Starwood account before the end of Oct. in order to keep our Star points active. (The cancelled stay was booked with our Starwood points.) We then decided to drive to FL since flying was out and that we would stop in Savannah for 1 night to break up the long drive down the east coast. Rather than book a 3 star along the interstate for the night we booked at the Sheraton in Savannah in order to use the account. So basically I did no research first. This was a completely last minute change of plans a week out and I was just glad there was an opening.

We were a little disoriented at check-in. Couldn't quite find the right entrance as it's really sort of on the side of the property. There is literally nowhere to park and at 3:00 pm it was jammed up. We were told the only "safe" parking is in the hotel garage via a valet. Since I had to book at the last minute I felt the rates were a little high but I went ahead & booked a rate to include breakfast and parking (which was like an additional $20 / night). I do not normally like to use a valet so was a little put out that if I wanted to have safe indoor parking and utilize the fee I'd already paid (the neighborhood goes downhill rather fast once you pass the hotel) we had no other choice but to use the valet. Did I mention that I am not a fan of valets?

The line to check-in was long when we arrived and the desk small, with only 2 people with computers working the front desk. The staff seemed a little stressed out - probably over the long line or something. While they were working as fast as they could they really needed more than 2 computers for this time period. My spouse was outside babysitting the car as there was no place to really leave it while we checked in. The lobby was full and loud and the line was long. I was not thrilled with this beginning. Finally got checked in then went outside to drag what we needed for the night out of the car before handing it over to the valet. Did I already mention I don't like valets?

We got to the room, dropped our stuff & got our bearings then realized they'd only given us 2 meal tickets for breakfast (we are a family of 3) so I had to call down to ask about that and was told to just stop by to pick up another ticket. OK. I was dreading the line but thankfully it had died down when we went by. I guess it's just that 3:00 check-in hour that is a nightmare maybe?

We took one of their city maps that they provided and walked along River Street for awhile just checking out the city. We had made reservations to eat dinner at Paula Deen's restaurant so we went back to the room to shower & freshen up for dinner. The restaurant is only a 5 or 10 min. walk from the hotel which was nice (glad I didn't have to deal with the valet to get the car out - did I mention I don't like valets?!) (Dinner was yummy BTW.)

We found the room adequate but nothing fancy for $200 / night. Double beds, not queens but the room appeared clean. We were on the front of the hotel on the 2nd floor and found it odd that the drapes didn't close all the way. There was a sheer underneath but the heavy drapes didn't move. We wanted to block out the lights etc. Luckily, I often pack a small bag with a lot of oddities in it so I had a wooden clothes-pin which I used to pinch the drapes closed for the night.

We got the breakfast package and since we were on a road trip & still had a long drive ahead of us we went down just a few minutes after 7:00 when the buffet opened. There was nobody manning the omlet station yet so we just did the self-serve items which included coffee, juice, grits, scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, fruits and I think I remember biscuits & gravy. Everything was good and because we went early, fresh & hot. The attendant was very friendly and welcoming. There were some "to-go" cups available so we took our coffee to go so we could hit the road.

If we were to make this trip and stop here again I would definitely try to book earlier to see if I could possibly get a better rate and I would try to time our arrival a little later or something so I could maybe avoid that 3:00 check-in mess. Overall, the stay was OK and I think it was just the parking & check-in process that put me off a bit. (Did I mention I don't really like valets?)

Room Tip: If you want your room dark bring a clothes-pin, large binder clip or a "chip clip" or some...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had the opportunity to re-visit Savannah the weekend of August 16th-18th. Although the weather wasn't cooperative the experience was great. As for the hotel it's located in the historic area of Savannah and is within a few minutes walk to River street and around the corner from Bay Street. All the great restaurants, bars and shopping are all right there. Savannah is not a big city in general so getting around is very easy. I stayed 2 nights here and thought the overall stay was good. The room rate was around 175 per night. The rooms were clean and updated but for the price didn't offer a complimentary breakfast of any
sort. They have a bar downstairs including a restaurant I was advised but didn't see it. There is valet parking for 18 per day or you can try your luck on the street. They have a pool/ workout facility which is accommodating if you want to relax or get a quick workout in. If you happen to be driving Tybee island is a must for a beach day and from the hotel is very easy to get to. The staff was very friendly and helpful especially with recommendations for restaurants. Overall it was a good hotel and right in a great spot to explore historic
Savannah!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Everyone at this hotel was extremely polite, cheerful, and more then willing to help. The hotel was very close distance to Bay Street and the cobblestone street, also within walking distance to the market area. When I saw it was on MLK I was a little weary because typically all MLK roads in most cities are notorious for crime but MLK in savannah is actually pretty nice. The breakfast here costs $12 and the breakfast buffet is very impressive, you will not find a better or cheaper breakfast for that price. Savannah has good food but they aren't by any means famous for their breakfast food so I highly recccomend the buffet there. Parking is 18 bucks a day but it is valet parking which is very convienient. My only complaint was that they were scrambling to clean the whole hotel and shampoo all the carpets because "corporate was coming" according to the staff anyway. I heard a lot of carpet cleaners moving around the hotel which was annoying. Also, the walls are paper thin so you can hear everything going on in the corridors, all modern hotels seem to be like this now though.

• Stayed August 2013
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Npstewart,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was so enjoyable, especially the breakfast. We hope you will remember us the next time that you are in Savannah.
Turin, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is suitable to reach the city center by feet, because is next to the riverfront and the city market.
The room was not very clean. It seemed that someone recently has fixed up the bathroom without cleaning the grime.
Breakfast and car park are not included.
The staff was not very gentle.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Carla J,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you found our location so well suited for your stay, but we are sorry to hear that your room was not clean. Thank you for letting us know about the issues that you experience during your stay as we can use them as an opportunity to improve our guests' experiences moving forward.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is what you expect from a Four Points. Clean, nice and spacious rooms, friendly staff. It's located just in the historic district about 2-3 blocks from where all the bars and restaurants are. It is very quiet as it's not quite in the center. Valet parking is about $22 but I would recommend it as the area behind the hotel is a bit sketchy so not sure if you want to self-park on the street. We haven't used the restaurant or bar, so can't rate that. Overall its a good and affordable place to stay and we would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear ralf_Stephanie,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our hotel to be clean and our staff to be friendly. We hope you do come back and stay again.
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I traveled solo for the first time. Checked into the hotel and was greeted warmly by the bellmen and then the front desk. The room was small but perfect for me. It's clean with pleasing decor. There is a pool on the second floor which I took advantage of after walking the city all day. The bartender is a wealth of information on restaurants, he definatly steered me well with some great recommendations. The location was perfect and easy walking distance. I felt perfectly safe walking alone at night. It's a great deal if you purchase ahead of time! Thank you for the wonderful stay!!

Dear wannabejetsetter_11,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so thrilled to hear that your experience was a great one. We hope that you will come back and visit us in Savannah soon.

Been to Holiday Inn Savannah Historic District? Share your experiences!