“Yum!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Leopold's Ice Cream

Leopold's Ice Cream
212 E Broughton St, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)
+1 912-234-4442
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 786 Restaurants in Savannah
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Diner, Dessert, Ice Cream, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Coffee & Tea, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night Food, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: No trip to Savannah is complete without a visit to Leopold's Ice Cream! Named the #5 Ice Cream in the World, Leopold's is a "Must-Do." You'll enjoy visiting our retro ice cream parlor, complete with old fashioned soda fountain and friendly soda jerks. You'll also experience a little piece of Hollywood in Savannah as you peruse Stratton Leopold's collection of film posters and props from films he has worked on over his 45 plus years in the movie industry! Leopold's Ice Cream was founded in 1919 by three immigrant brothers from Greece. They learned the art of candy and dessert from an uncle who had already settled in America. The brothers perfected the secret formulas and created the world famous Leopold's VeriBest™ ice cream.Our ice cream is made in house, one batch at a time, using family recipes handed down from the Leopold brothers. With our soda fountain creations and more than 20 flavors available at any given time, we've got something just for you!
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Get the huckleberry ice cream! Great service. Funny movie posters.

Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“Ohhhh, Leopold's...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Leopold's makes my heart sing. The motif is of an ice cream parlor from another era..Leopold's opened in a slightly different part of Savannah in the heyday of ice cream parlors, then moved to this location on Broughton St. Marble prep areas and tables, workers in crisp white shirts and hats, friendly greetings to everyone who enters.

I know there are many articles from the original Leopold's, but can't remember exactly what. I think parts of the prep area and maybe the old-fashioned telephone booth are originals. On each table, there is the history of the ice cream parlor and its owners (Stratton Leopold is a big Hollywood producer and some of his movies are featured on the walls) and it tells a little more about the parlor.

I LOVED the chocolate malts that I got on all 3 of my Savannah visits...thick, incredible tasting, and so much that they need to give a little extra cup along with the serving. I also had the BLT and it was much better than I would expect from an ice cream parlor...very, very tasty and worthy enough to be sold in a good restaurant. On one of my 3 journeys, it was a chilly December evening and I just wanted something light, yet warm. I walked over to Leopold's not knowing if it would still be open. It was open and I had really, quite incredible chicken soup...delicious, thick, and hot enough to warm me up so I could walk back to my hotel without a chill.

One of the servers that night was so adorable. I don't even know why I'm mentioning this. She LOVES Audrey Hepburn. Loves her movies. Loves her style. The passion she had when she talked about her was just so much fun.

Ok, my favorite thing...the juke box! I never saw a juke box with real 45's in it. Each song cost a dime and it was 3 for a quarter. It was fun to punch in the numbers and watch the 45 slip into place. I, of course, played Moon River for all of us Savannah visitors. Really magical.

• Visited March 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
“The best ice cream I've ever had!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We went to Leopold's ont he recommendation of a few restaurant and hotel employees that we had visited in Savannah! Boy did they know what they were talking about! The ice cream was the most amazing and the decor reminded me of a place that my grandparents might have visited 40 years ago! It was nostalgic! We loved it! GO GO GO to this place!

• Visited July 2011
Sugar Hill, Georgia
“OMG...the best ice cream ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My best friend and I had this our first night in Savannah. They let us taste all kinds of ice cream before we picked - and we both landed on the Honey Vanilla Almond. It was excellent! If you want ice cream, this is the place to go!

• Visited August 2011
Melbourne, Florida
“Great tasting ice cream!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Sampled many delicious flavors and decided on the peanut butter chippy and mint chocolate chip! I love peanut butter ice cream and try it every where I go. This was the best peanut butter ice cream I have ever eaten! If you like peanut butter, give it a try! The mint chocolate chip was amazing too! There were so many delicious flavors, I had a hard time picking two. So, I went back the next day with the intention of trying two new flavors, but ended up getting the same two. This place is great for all ages and I think there is a flavor here for everyone to enjoy! Well worth the visit--twice!

• Visited August 2011