“It was just okay.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 112 hotels in Savannah
New Jersey
“It was just okay.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

My husband, daughter, mother, and I stayed at this hotel from July 3 to July 7th. Check in was fast. However, I am a Priority Club member, and usually, they give me coupons to use in the store, but I didn't receive anything this time. We had a two-bedroom, two bathroom suite. It was okay. The room was clean on the surface, but the refrigerator had some stains in it, and the lid on the garbage container under the kitchen sink was dirty. The sheets very very clean and the beds were comfortable. However, the light touch cleaning service left a lot to be desired. I got towels only on one day. I called and requested the service for the weekend, but no one ever came. As we were in and out a lot, we just emptied our own garbage and made our own beds. I requested bags for the garbage container under the sink, but they were never brought to the room. I ended up having to get them myself. We also had a problem with our refrigerator, which eventually had to be replaced. There was ice in the freezer and the refrigerator was not cold. The man who came to repair it initially wanted us to turn the refrigerator off, let it thaw out (I guess we were supposed to let the ice melt and drip into the refrigerator and on the floor?) and then turn it back on. My husband told him to give us another refrigerator, which he did, somewhat reluctantly, it seemed. The people working at the front desk were friendly. The breakfast buffet was adequate for us. We ate there two days. There was coffee, tea, juice, bagels, waffles, bacon, biscuits, toast, eggs, fruit, yogurt, cereal, the usual. We get up very early, so it wasn't crowded when we got there, and there was a good selection. There was one girl working there (she was new) and she was very nice, even prepared to go bags for us on the day before we checked out. The hotel was very quiet. Overall, it was an okay stay, and I would possibly stay there again, as we have family in the area, and we like to stay in suites, but there are so many other hotels in the area, I would probably try another one next time.

• Liked — I like the two bedrooms/two bathrooms, as well as the kitchen
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fishers, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

My parents and I stayed one night here on the way down to Cocoa Beach, FL. It was very easy to find (I'd say it's less than a half-mile off the interstate). We had reserved a 2-bedroom suite (one bedroom had one king, other bedroom had two doubles, and a private bathroom for each bedroom [each bathroom was set up so that the toilet and bathtub were inside the room with the closing door but the sink was outside]). Check-in was very efficient. We brought our luggage up the elevator (there's only one rather small elevator in this large, 3-story hotel) to our room, 235, and got settled in. We noticed that there were no luggage racks in the room; I put my suitcase on the ironing board, and my parents used their desk and their chair. (The room with two double beds had a desk, but the room with one king didn't.)

Before we arrived, I called the hotel directly and asked if the 2-bedroom suites had ethernet connections in each individual bedroom. I was put on hold for a little bit (less than a minute) and then told yes. Unfortunately, that was not the case; there are NO ethernet connections in the room at all, only WiFi access. So I was able to get online with my WiFi-equipped laptop, but not with my Xbox 360, as I did not bring the Wireless Network Adapter for it (didn't think I would need it). That ended up being okay, though; I was quite content playing single-player on the hotel's HDTV. There is one HDTV in each bedroom, plus one in the living room. They are the old-style CRT TVs, but they have flat screens and 16:9 aspect ratios. I'm not sure what resolution they are (720p, 1080i, etc.), but the picture was certainly better than that of a standard-definition TV. Also, the TVs rotate so you can easily access the HD inputs on the back.

There is a nearby Mexican restaurant, Cancun, which I would highly recommend. It seemed very new and clean, but the best part was the amazing food. Many Mexican restaurants where we live serve really greasy chips and salsa that's either flavorless or way too hot (or both); Cancun's chips were grease-free (and great-tasting) and their salsa had the perfect blend of heat and fresh tomato flavor. I ordered the chicken-and-steak combo fajitas, which were cooked and seasoned perfectly and came with rice, beans, and three huge tortillas. My parents each got the Plato de Pollo ("plate of chicken," for those of you who don't know Spanish), each of which had enough chicken for two or three people (if only we'd known that before we ordered), rice, and an avocado salad. The prices were great, too; $8 for each of those heaping plates of chicken, and around $10.35 for my fajitas. Drinks were only $1.25, too, with free refills. If you like Mexican food at all, go there; you won't regret it.

Anyway, back to the room. It seemed clean when we first walked in, but upon closer inspection we found that that wasn't quite the case. There was a greasy smudge on the stove, a brown hard-water stain in my bathtub, and hair in my parents' bathtub. My dad also found a sticky spot in the carpet of his room that appeared to be spit-out candy or chewing gum. The carpet looked clean, but the hotel uses dark gray carpet, which hides stains and dirt quite well, so who knows if it was really clean. Also, there were spots of dried liquid all over the headboard of my bed (only visible when the light was on). The cleaning staff should definitely take a closer look at the rooms before deciding that they're clean and moving on.

The bedsheets and pillows were perfectly clean, however, and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. I almost didn't want to get out of bed the next morning, but I didn't want to miss the free breakfast (it was a Saturday, so the hours were 7:30 to 10:30; on weekdays they're 6:30 to 9:30). Unfortunately, the breakfast buffet was a zoo; there was no organization at all and a relatively little amount of seating for the rather large size of this place. As soon as a batch of scrambled eggs was brought out, there was a huge frenzy and they were gone in 60 seconds; anyone who didn't get there fast enough would have to wait a while for the next batch to come out and hope to beat the frenzy. Normally I take advantage of the make-your-own waffles and the English muffins that you can toast, but the area with the waffle maker and toaster was so small and crowded that I decided to just grab some hard-boiled eggs and muffins and go find a seat (another daunting task, but one I managed to accomplish).

After breakfast, we went back up to our room and got everything packed up. My dad got us checked out and brought up the luggage cart, and we loaded everything up and took it down to the van and left.

The reason we chose this hotel in the first place was because it had reasonable prices and 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suites - rather hard to find on either potential route from Indianapolis to Cocoa Beach. If no other reasonably-priced hotel with 2-bed/2-bath suites opens up on one of those routes sometime soon, we might have to stay here again if we ever go back down to the east coast of Florida, but if one does, then we'll probably be staying there. (I know there's another Staybridge in Savannah's historic district; we might have to try them next time if their prices are okay.) If you're going to stay here, my advice is to bring your own cleaning supplies and be prepared to beat the rush at breakfast; besides that, you should be able to enjoy a quiet, comfortable, pleasant stay.

• Liked — Availability of reasonably-priced 2-bedroom 2-bathroom suites; convenient location
  • Disliked — Dirty stove, carpet, bathtubs, headboard, etc.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

Best we've ever stayed in.Large rooms with very comfortable beds. Very clean. Great variety complimentary breakfast (hot and cold). First we've stayed in that served a complimentary evening meal (grilled chicken and salad bar then beer and wine served in the lobby around fireplace). Would highly recommend. All employees very helpful and friendly. Though near the airport, could not hear planes while in the building.

• Liked — cleanliness, amenities, availability of separate bedrooms with baths within the suite
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights with our 3 kids. Had a 1 bedroom suite which was great. Found the extra pillows (as mentioned previously) in the closet for the sofa bed but not the extra bedding. Asked at the desk and it arrived in 5 minutes. Also someone mentioned they had a stove we only had a 2 burner hob so maybe if you want a stove you need to request at time of booking. We have stayed at Staybridge suites in Canada and had a full stove. Staff were extremely friendly, kids loved the pool and we used the outside grill one night. Easy drive to Savannah. would stay there again without hesitation. Complimentary dinners Tuesday-Thursday including beer and wine. Eat downstairs or take it back to your room. Also the kids loved the complimentary microwave popcorn left in the room each day.

• Liked — complimentary dinner with drinks
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
boynton beach, florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2008

This property is new & very nice. The front desk clerk was pleasant. And, most important .......they take pets ( with a fee. )
The surrounding area has lots of restaurants.
The problem I encountered was after I had unpacked and started to unwind from the days journey ( I drove 10 hrs. ) I noticed the stove had not been cleaned. It still had grease all over the top from the previous guests. Then I found out there was a full bag of garbage underneath the sink.
Since this was a suite with a full kitchen I was expecting more than one fork, but that was all they had.
I was also surprised to find that one of the towels they had left in the bathroom for the guest had holes in it.
When I went to the front desk to ask about someone coming in to clean up I was told the only thing they could do was to send someone to pick up the garbage. There was no manager on site.
The cont. breakfast was nice.

• Liked — That the place was new and they accepted pets
  • Disliked — The maids did a horrible job.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

Check in and check out were a breeze, the staff was friendly, efficient, and when we needed extra bedding it was retrieved immediately. The apples and the cookies awaiting us in the lobby were a nice touch.

Hotel was very clean and had updated / new amenities. The business center had what looked like new computers. The swimming pool was fabulous and clean with new outdoor furniture. Not to mention a putting green and an outdoor grill.

The room accommodated us three women with ease, which is hard! Every thing was clean, the beds were comfortable and it felt like being at home. The complimentary breakfast was good with plenty of warm food and fruits.

It is about a 15-20 min drive to the historic district of Savannah, and the cabs in Savannah are not cheap, but the price was excellent and the hotel was top notch. We will definitely stay there again!!!

• Liked — Friendlyness of staff, cleanliness of room, price
  • Disliked — distance from downtown historic district
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Richardson, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

Very clean spacious rooms. Very near airport. Good value.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Staybridge Suites Savannah Airport? Share your experiences!