“Good fun tour of historic Savannah” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Tours, Cultural
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take a ride in a real Hearse and see the beautiful historic homes. We tell you stories about Savannah's Ghost's while showing you Our remarkable Historic District. Tours are 75 minutes long and their are only eight people per tour! This tour is only $15.00, call or email us for reservations. We tour every day of the year!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Melbourne, Australia
20 attraction reviews
“Good fun tour of historic Savannah”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Hearse tour was a great value, good fun way to see historic Savannah. We had 'Scary Sherri' as our guide, and she was really good fun and knowledgeable. The tour is a bit cheesy, and not at all scary (unless you're staying in one of the hotels we learnt about on the tour), but we had a great time. An interesting way to learn a bit more about the history of Savannah, i'd recommend it to visitors.

“What fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Like most of the other reviews, My husband and I had a great time and felt it was a terrific value. $15.00 per person for an ninety minute tour of Historic Savannah! No question as to whether or not we would recommend it, absolutely we would! We were only in Savannah for two days and this was a fabulous and very entertaining way to get the lowdown on much of the city's unsavory but interesting past. We were lucky enough to have "Dawn of the Dead" as our guide. She was very informative, professional and funny! I think she missed her calling to be in the theater!
On the other side of the coin, it is a pretty cramped area. There are eight elevated contour type seats neatly and creatively arranged (The top of the hearse has been removed) in a space meant to carry one passenger inside their forever bed. I wear a size 14 and if I had not been sitting in the back, I think I would have been squishing the other passengers, also it may be a problem for those with claustrophobia and as others have stated, it is a bit precarious getting in and out using the little step that is provided. One other somewhat negative comment, we sat in the back and were in the converted 30+ year old Lincoln and there was a lot of exhaust fumes emanating into our space. My husband and I both had a whopper of a headache when we were done.

Philadelphia
4 attraction reviews
“Not worth your time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We felt like this tour was a waste of time and money. The hearse seating was uncomfortable (I guess that's no surprise!). The guide was friendly but there were no interesting anecdotes; just comments like, "Someone died and there is a ghost living here now" over and over." We learned nothing and couldn't wait for it to end.

“Awesome adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I are on our one year anniversary, and decided to come to Savannah (something she has been wanting to do for quite some time) Being new to Savannah - We asked many people of what to do. Everyone told us we NEEDED to take the Hearse Tour and we are sooo glad we listened! Our driver "Dawn of the Dead" was hilarious, fun and very informative. Don't know if that was her "real voice" or not, BUT the grauvelly rasp of it added to the excitement. Many of the places she pointed out will be investigated further in person and by reading. Dawn, hats off to you

Johnson City, Tennessee
10 attraction reviews
“Would have been fun with a different driver!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were so excited for this tour. Our cab driver one night suggested it. She was born and raised in Savannah and had us all believing in the unsavory past of the city.

A very neat idea; Ghost tour in an old hearse. It still had the rollers to move the casket in on the floor, however not very suitable for older tourist or anyone with disabilities for that matter. A tiny semi stable step ladder loads you up into the hearse.

Take a camera if you get a driver that stops or goes slow enough for you to snap some pictures. We were told that this tour would last about an hour and a half and we arrived back to our hotel a little shy of an hour and fifteen minutes. We felt rushed in our tour but at the same time we were all looking at our watches to see if it were over yet.

The hearse was right on time and so were about 5 others at our hotel to pick up passengers. It seems like some people knew what drivers to request because they were jumping for joy when they got the tour guide they had requested. On the other hand, we had the luck of the draw, and I don't want to get anyone fired from their job or in trouble. With that being said I won't mention his name. He was horrible. Beyond belief bad. We passed other hearse tours and saw them parked along the old cemetery and our driver would just go on and actually tell us that we should drive ourselves by the locations he was taking us to so we could spend more time there to "see the ghosts".

We passed by people at the Pirate House we saw other tours stopped and taking pictures, but our driver went on. I think he was more interested in seeing his wife get off work at some theater. He actually drove by when her "gig" was over and said to us, "there's my wife in the lobby". (I was married to a control freak once. Not fun, and there was nothing pertinent about the theater.)

He talked so fast that you couldn't understand a word he said and he kept asking us questions about Savannah. We had a school teacher from Wisconsin on the tour with us and she actually taught him a few things about the history of Savannah.

Enough of the hating. It is affordable. They picked us up in front of our hotel. Maybe some of the other reviews will give their driver's name so you can request them because I think this could be fun if you have the right driver!!!!

Sadly we were extremely disappointed!!