“A wonderful, elegant place.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Confederate House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Savannah
The Confederate House
You added The Confederate House to your Saves list
808 Drayton St, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #25 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Columbus
“A wonderful, elegant place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

We were accomodated in everything we needed, even to the point of switching our breakfast on the first morning to lunch! Colleen Williams was a gracious hostess and catered to our every need. The rooms and baths were huge and luxurious and very private. Biggest showers we ever saw (with tubs, too), with tons of hot water. It was the perfect spot to stay for exploring beautiful, historic Savannah. We couldn't have asked for more!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I stayed in the Confederate House during my first trip to Savannah, and indeed to the south. It is everything that I imagined the large southern houses and southern hospitality, to be. The rooms are huge. The breakfast in the morning was delicious and it was lovely to sit down with the other guests and our host, get to know them and hear what they recomended in Savannah. The location is a little out of the centre of town, especially as we were two young women walking home at night, however it was safe and a perfect location for visiting the park during the day. We were fortunate enough to be there during the Shakespeare festival and got to see some fantastic free theatre in Forsyth Park.
The Confederate House is a great choice in Savannah with the opportunity to meet local people who are passionate about their city and get a taste of real Southern hospitality

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband has always heard wonderful things from PEOPLE about the Confederate House. While in Savannah for a wedding at Forsyth Park about 6 years ago he walked past it and thought, "OH YES, I have to stay here one day!" I thought planning a trip for the two of us for Valentine's Day would be nice!
I looked up The Confederate House online. They have photos of the rooms and the room rates, etc. However, there isnt an online booking option so I called the Inn directly. I left a voicemail and my call was returned promptly. Though I wanted the Davis room it was booked. So, we booked the Robert E. Lee room. Because my husband had wanted to stay in the Inn for SO LONG I didnt do any other research!
The Friday we were leaving for our Valentine's weekend I was on Trip Advisor for something else and I decided to check on the Confederate House "just for fun." As you can see there are several "good" posts, but there are some "bad" ones too! I wasnt sure what to expect as we left for our trip, but I told myself.....IF the inn keeper is NICE TO YOU, then you be NICE TO HER.......I didnt want to be biased and treat her badly or have a bad experience based on the reviews of strangers!
We live about 4 hours from Savannah. We got off to a late start and we passing through Jacksonville, FL at 9pm so I knew we wouldn’t be at the Inn between 9p and 10p as stated when I booked the room. We called the Inn keeper (Colleen) and let her know we would be a little later than originally expected. She said NO PROBLEM and got a new estimate from us. We actually arrived at the Inn around 11pm!
We called her from the parking lot as she requested and she instructed us where to park. IT IS TRUE (as I have read in other posts) that the parking lot for the Inn is a dirt and gravel lot behind the house. It is true that it is shared with the other buildings. If you have never been to Savannah before this may seem dirty or low class or unacceptable to you, but if you have been to the historic district before then you know and comprehend that they are RUNNING OUT OF SPACE. The fact that they HAVE A LOT for their guests and you are not parking your car on the street is a BIG bonus! For us, the parking lot they have is just fine.
While on the phone, Colleen told us to come through the gate, through the garden, and up the front steps. We did as she asked and she was right there at the front door with a smile welcoming us in! Remember, in my mind my relationship with her was going to be based on how she treated us when we first arrived. SHE would have the power to set the tone for our stay. Her FIRST WORDS to me in person at 11pm were, “Welcome. Please come in and have a seat. I have fresh coffee, cupcakes and brownies for you. If you don’t mind, let’s complete your paperwork.” I thought this was VERY nice of her considering she was up at 11pm waiting on US!
My husband and I love history and love architecture. The Confederate House and COLLEEN didn’t disappoint on either subject. I had so many questions about the house, the restoration, the prior owners, the civil war importance, etc….we began talking as soon as we sat down. Colleen was welcoming, pleasant, patient, forthcoming, etc. She was SO NICE. There were a couple times I said to her, “I am so sorry to keep you up we will go on to bed.” She wouldn’t have it. She was willing to stay as long as I needed. In my opinion this is southern hospitality. The woman was #1 UP when we got there #2 had water, coffee, brownies and valentine’s cupcakes fresh for us and #3 warm and welcoming and willing the answer my questions about the Inn at 11pm! I am not sure what the other reviews were anticipating or needed, but in my opinion Colleen did everything just fine to welcome us to the Inn.
Before I forget to mention, during our conversation with Colleen she did give us instructions about breakfast and the doors. These weren’t hard for us to understand and we were more than willing to treat her home with the respect she was asking for!
After our pleasant conversation we headed upstairs. The room was large with a large bathroom and large walk-in closet. It looked like it did on the website to be honest with you. Now, I have read some reviews about lipstick on a pig and how the restoration was a disaster. I have to say, I disagree. Again, you must understand that you are staying in A VERY OLD HOUSE!!!!! If you want modern, if you want airtight, if you want perfect you need not bother with the old, restored, historic houses in Savannah. It is not like a Holiday Inn or a Hilton. It will never be that and it should not ever TRY to be that. It is an old restored house and NOT a chain hotel. Growing up in an OLD southern house the things I see and read people complaining about are typical for an old (settled) house and weren’t a surprise or disappointment to me! OLD HOMES settle, they sink, and they aren’t cookie-cutter perfect. Especially in moist soil like you find in FLORIDA and GEORGIA! That means often times the fireplaces sink too! You will see many homes with original fireplaces boarded over (or dry walled over). You will have un-even creaky floors. You will have older plumbing and flooring, etc. I don’t think the restoration on the Confederate house was BAD, but I think people who choose to stay in a RESTORED, HSITORIC home in the south need to anticipate what that means and then not complain when that is what they get. YES, there were things about the room that weren’t PEFRECT FOR ME, but isn’t that part of the charm really? And, in the end DO I CARE if the flowers over the bed weren’t centered, or if 1-2 light bulbs in a 25 light bulb chandelier are out, or if the doorknob is loose…..NO, not really. The fact is most people come to Savannah for the gardens and the history. It is all part of the experience. We slept through the night without any issue. The bed was comfy. It was a little cold, but that made the cuddling better! I surely didn’t blame the Inn or Colleen for the fact that the temperature dropped at night. I also didn’t expect her to wake herself out of her sleep, realize it was cold, and come turn up the upstairs heater for me! She is just a human after all. She is NOT a staff of 30-50 like you find in major hotel chains!
Breakfast was at 9am! It consisted of eggs, fresh ham, biscuits, and fresh jam. It was very nice. Colleen came out and asked if she could join us. Now again, I have read some people consider that rude and inappropriate. WHY?? She owns the home! She is a person, not a servant! She has stories to tell about the Inn, her family in Savannah, her trials and tribulations and experiences in Savannah. I cant understand why a VISITOR to Savannah wouldn’t want to hear this information! TO ME, it was again charming. I thought it was NICE that she wanted to share and connect with us. I did not see it as an intrusion or inconvenience. Again, I think people visiting need to understand what to expect before booking. If you want a COLD, LONELY, VACANT experience I think you should stay in a large hotel chain. IF you want a PERSON, ONE PERSON that you can connect with and have an experience with stay in a small B&B! But, don’t expect one to perform like the other. They simply cannot.
After breakfast all 6 of the guests were off to tour Savannah! We were welcome to come and go as we please. In fact, we came back to our room about 20 minutes after breakfast because we forgot something and the bed was made and the room was already straightened. There were already fresh towels in the bath! (Again, I read a review that there were no towels, no soap, no shampoo, no hair dryer, etc…we DID NOT experience that AT ALL. ALL OF THOSE THINGS were in our room! However, I have to say that when you goto a hotel or B&B you aren’t guaranteed that the TYPE, SCENT, VOLUME, etc of those items THAT YOU PREFER will be there, so if you are picky about that then you should ALWAYS BRING YOUR OWN! That way you are GUARANTEED it wont be an issue and you wont be disappoint and you wont blame the inn keeper for NOT being a mind reader!)
We got home pretty late after our day of sightseeing and went to our room. Everything was peaceful again that night! At 905am there was a knock at the door that woke us. It was the housekeeper letting us know breakfast was served. TO ME, this was a nice gesture. It didn’t bother me at all. In fact, my husband shot out of bed and down the stairs like a little boy. He wasn’t going to miss that ham! I preferred to stay in bed and snuggle in and watch TV.
When my husband got back we got our stuff packed and down to the car. Colleen was there to wish us farewell. She asked me if she could PLEASE cook me something to eat. I told her no thank you, but thanks for the offer. Again, NOT SOMETHING SHE HAD TO DO, she was just nice!
My husband and I decided to sit and chat with her more. I had been dying to see the kitchen so she showed it to me. We sat in the parlor and talked more about her experiences in Savannah. My husband offered to change a light bulb or two for her and she said, “No thank you. You are here to relax and be fed, not change the light bulbs!” My husband is very handy and from old southern roots himself and it would have been NO TROUBLE and take about 5 minutes to help Colleen who had been so sweet and caring towards us, but in the end she just didn’t want to see him working on his weekend.
We hugged her goodbye and told her to keep our number if she should need anything. She welcomed us back ANYTIME. I am sure that is an offer we will take her up on, though I don’t know when! She told us to remind her who we were because she has so many visitors. W e understood.
In the end, I think the Confederate House was EXACTLY what we expected and Colleen was MORE than we could ask for. If anything, I think she is misunderstood by others or perhaps judged too soon by her clients based on their expectations of the house/Inn. In both cases, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, that is unfair. I would hope that anyone visiting THIS or any other SOUTHERN B&B would treat the owners, Innkeepers, staff AND THE HOUSE the respect they deserve. Savannah and it’s people are a historic town with very old people and places. It is rich in history and those who live there love to share it. We should treat them and their homes like WE ARE GUESTS and not like they are our servants just because we pay to sleep there!
Everything you have read above is my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt, take it to heart, or don’t take it at all. I just wanted to share my experience and my opinion of the Confederate House and Colleen.

• Liked — Colleen
  • Disliked — It is a little bit of a walk to the River
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

My wife and I spent a week in this beautiful home. The owner, Colleen, was warm and gracious. Breakfasts were delicious. Beautifully restored home and Southern hospitality. Located across from Forsyth Park in historic district. Easy walking access.

• Liked — personal attention from the owner and great breakfast!
  • Disliked — ------
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

We were fortunate enough to stay at the Confederate House in Mid-May 2008, and had a wonderful time. The Inn is right on Forsyth Park on Drayton Street, which runs right into the River Walk area. Just a few houses down from ritzy "Mansion on Forsyth," this inn was a great bargain that gave us the combination of an antebellum home, Southern hospitality, and easy transportation into the heart of the historic district (shuttle stop is 1 block away, and the tour buses run by every few minutes). We felt very much like we were staying with relatives - the kind who make sure we're taken care of without being clingy. The bathroom in the Robert E. Lee room is the sunniest place I've ever been while still being indoors, and the bed gave us some of the best sleep we've ever had while traveling. Breakfast on family china and silver was a Savannah way to start the day, and the beautiful antiques in the bedroom and common areas served as a nice mini-museum when we weren't out and about. We hope to return to the Confederate House on our next trip!

• Liked — The great location for the reasonable price
  • Disliked — No options for breakfast - one meal combination was prepared and served to everyone
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Eastern NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

This B&B was not friendly at all. We only saw the owner once when we checked in. Knocked on the door , no answer. Had to figure out where to go to find anyone, turned out to be around the side on the ground level. Was not told where to park before we got there. Had to find that ourselves too. She gave us no useful info about the historic district, no brochures or map. We started out walking, met some other tourists who kindly gave us their street map. The bed was uncomfortable, pillows were awful, headboard was broken, there were no towel bars in the bathroom. As for the breakfast part of B&B, it was probably the worst we ever had. It is on the fringe of the historic district at the opposite end from the river. Not a convenient location for walking around. Think twice before you book this b&b. We would never stay there again.

• Liked — the park acros the street
  • Disliked — location & breakfasts
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Palm Coast, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

The confederate house is a beautiful place to stay. The breakfasts were delicious and the mansion is beautifully decorated and very clean. Best of all, the beds are extremely comfortable and the price is right.

Stayed May 2008

Been to The Confederate House? Share your experiences!