“check reviews on line” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Confederate House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Savannah
The Confederate House
808 Drayton St, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #23 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Fort Way
“check reviews on line”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

do not give the owner your credit card until you have seen the room. I will not go into to detail. You can see for yourself the attack mode Miss Williams slips into. i am disputing the fee on my card. she has called my home and left threeatening voice mails. Never give up your card till you see the room. If you have any odd feelings about the Inn. TRUST yourself. we did not stay at alll. We grabbed our bags and left. I had to track her down, and she offered us no apologies or alternatives. $508.00? for what?

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lumberton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

My husband and I celebrated our 30th anniversary in January but we decided to wait until spring to treat ourselves to a trip to Historic Savannah. I stumbled across The Confederate House while looking online for a Bed and Breakfast. I also signed up to newsletters from travelservices@bedandbreakfast.com they offer specials on B&B's in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. I happened to see they were having a special the end of March. We looked at online at the pictures that were posted and decided we liked what we saw in the pictures so we agreed to check it out.
My husband is a Civil War nut and requested the General Robert E Lee Room but unfortunately it was not available so we booked the President Davis room. The room was large as well as the bathroom. The room was very cozy and had beautiful antique furniture. The bedding and linens were very pretty and comfortable. I usually do not sleep well when away from home but the bed was firm and comfortable. No restless nights on our visit. The bathroom had double pedestal lavatories and a large walk in shower as well as a bathtub. The lighting was very good in both rooms. The walk in closet was large.
We arrived and Lady Williams greeted us and made us feel like family. We sat with her in the parlor and provided us information about parking which we had already discovered, she also mentioned the time fresh coffee would be ready in the mornings and the time breakfast would be served, She invited us to help ourselves to fresh baked cookies and cake which was displayed on a beautiful antique table in the parlor. We checked in she gave us our room key and a key to the front door. She asked us to lock the door when we would come and go. I fully understand her asking this from us as she could be in the back of her living area and not hear if someone walked in. It was everything that we thought it would be.
As many other visitors have mentioned it was directly across the street from Forsyth Park which was breath taking the weekend we were there because the azaleas. and dogwoods were blooming as well as the other spring flowers. Everything was in walking distance as a matter of fact we did not move our car from the time we arrived until the time we departed. The weather was great and the walk to the river front was between 1 - 1 1/2 miles. It was a perfect weekend. Thank you Lady Williams for your kind and gentle hospitality. Also thanks for the delicious breakfasts and the great conversations during breakfast. We were both amazed at your stories and the experiences you had encountered during the last 40 years. I was totally blown away. You have a beautiful home and again thank you for making our visit so memorable. We have already suggested The Confederate House to several of our friends who are planning a trip to Savannah in August.

Room Tip: Davis Room overlooks Forsyth Park
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Merritt Island, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

New Innkeeper Needed! 4/2/2011
I have never, in all my travels, been accused of “being drunk and disorderly and just trying to get out of paying the bill” for complaining. What a shame! Ms Williams has lost her southern charm. I took my family to her Inn (Confederate House) for a wonderful Savannah weekend getaway! Her home is sparse with decorations and smells like Lysol, but it ‘seemed’ clean and spacious. Check in is 2:00 yet she did not answer the phone or door until 3pm. After a fun day enjoying Savannah hospitality in town, dinner at Six Pence, Ghost Carriage Ride, and ice cream from Leopolds, we headed back to the Inn ready to play a game of scrabble. When the kids (32, 31, & 22) got ready for bed they were shocked to find PUBIC HAIRS on the sheets. YUK! We called Ms. Williams who said she put those sheets on herself that afternoon and there were no hairs. I said we’d like clean sheets please (willing to put them on ourselves). Ms. Williams said there were no hairs and she would take care of it in the morning! WHAT????? Does she think I was lying??? Making it up?? I paid $336.00 for two rooms and this is the treatment we get. I picked several hairs off MY bed also and placed them on the white plate in the room to show Ms. Williams in the morning. We all slept in our clothes, two kids on top of the comforter and myself laying on towels over the sheets, with my clothes on. Far from the cozy ideal of a B&B. If I could have found an available hotel, we would have left, but the Music Festival was in town, so we were stuck. By 7am we were packed and out of there… leaving a note and the hairs on the plate. I called at 9am to talk to Ms. Williams to ask for compensation for our inconvenience, how disappointing to have pubic hairs on our sheets and the INNKEEPER not CARE, could not even bother to bring us clean sheets. WOW! Then on top of being incredibly rude, she accuses me and my children of being drunk, disorderly and just trying to get out of paying the bill! How incredibly sad! All she had to do was bring us clean sheets. I realize it was too hard for Ms. Williams to look past the idea that perhaps she was WRONG and apologize for our ‘uncomfortable night’. We didn’t eat her food, stay all night, THEN complain. WE called her at 10pm and asked for ‘hair free sheets’ for goodness sake. I realize for every poor review there are 6 good ones and that is a blessings, but when you are the one that can’t even get clean sheets to sleep in…that is a SHAME!!!! Here is the clincher…she called me back about 9:30am, I figured she was going to apologize and give me $100 off the room rate (seemed fair), instead Ms. Williams said she received my threatening message and she was going to call all my neighbors and place of business and tell them how my family was drunk and disorderly!!! WHAT???? Are you kidding me??? Sadly, a new Innkeeper is needed at the Confederate INN!

Room Tip: Find a different B&B in Savannah
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3699, Owner at The Confederate House, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
This review is untruthful fist she complains of hairs on the bed implying we are dirty then she complains about the smell of lysol lysol is used to clean you can't have it both ways. In my opion this review is just the untruthful ramblings of a female wanting a $100.00 .
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

The Confederate House is truly a Savannah landmark and offers the best of what Savannah represents. Beyond the awesome location overlooking the square and the great off-season rates, the Confederate House offers what no other B&B can: the charming elegance of Lady Williams and Dixie. Somewhere between the hours of stories about the idiosyncracies of old Savanah and the awe inspiring breakfast, my wife and I fell in love with this little gem on Forsyth Square.

• Stayed February 2011
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

This B&B does have a great location. We were able to walk to restaurants and shops in the downtown area and, as others have said, this is directly across the street from the very large Forsyth Park. As this was my first trip to Savannah, we arrived with no travel information, and we had only one night and morning, we could have used maps or other information. However, the only thing available was the 2010 Georgia AAA book. I didn't want to take it with me in case I might lose it or spill something on it. It's been our experience that most B&Bs provide a supply of single-page maps, tourist office brochures, restaurant menus, and brochures from a variety of attractions. The cooked breakfast was very good.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

We stayed here and got an excellent rate for the room. The location is wonderful, right across from beautiful Forsyth Park. The house is actually quite well restored as is the room. Be prepared that when you stay here you will not be viewed as customers but as visitors, just as in the old days in the South when people would travel to have visits with friends or relatives. Just as in those olden days when you check in or have breakfast the owner of the home Colleen Williams will visit with you and exchange stories. Imagine that you have travelled back in time to those days and enjoy your visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

Poor quality decor, way too many steps, no attention to detail. Is definately in a historical neighborhood, beautiful Forsyth Park across street, main floor is huge but sparsely furnished. Our upper level floor was not tolerable when we arrived, because the A/C was not on-thermometer read 90

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Confederate House? Share your experiences!