“Great 60's style roadside motel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Thunderbird Inn

You added The Thunderbird Inn to your Saves list
The Thunderbird Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   611 West Oglethorpe Ave, Savannah, GA 31401 (Yamacraw Village)   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Virginia
“Great 60's style roadside motel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

We arrived at the Thunderbird Inn around noon, not really expecting our room would be available. The young lady at the front desk went to check and we were given a room. She was very helpful and provided directions to several Savannah sites. Later that evening we received a call that my companion's mother had been taken to the hospital. I informed the young man at the front desk that we had to leave. He was very understanding and said there would not be any charge for the room, even though we had used some of the towels. I was, of course, very pleased, and hope to stay at the Thunderbird Inn if I have the opportunity to visit Savannah again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
charleston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

Hotel is in what I would consider to be a bad section of town. Parking is very limited and overflow parking is about block from hotel. Room needs an update- walls a little beat up, burn hole in curtain, etc. No safe in the room and no security latch/ lock on the room door. Lots of cars coming in and out of parking lot and people hanging out in the parking lot...seemed kind of sketchy. Just not at all what we expected or hoped for.

The front desk staff was absolutely awesome though!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed here May 3 through 6 and couldn't have been happier with it. The location is great - close enough to walk to the Historic District/River/Tour Trolleys, yet at least half the price for what you get. The rooms are clean, with just about everything you need. The beds are incredibly comfortable. Our room was on the ground floor right by the street, and if you don't have your AC/Heat unit on, you will hear the street noise - wasn't a problem for us. The 60's music was not loud at all, and the employees will turn it down if it is disturbing. NO, it doesn't offer a FULL continental breakfast, but you have coffee, juice and donuts to tide you over. If you want a full breakfast, you can stay at a place that does and drive farther or pay more. Great breakfasts are close enough. The neighborhood is safe, the staff very accomodating and helpful, and I don't think you can find a better spot in Savannah that gives you the value. It's NOT a resort, but a comfy, easy to access, friendly place. Of course stuff goes on at any hotel, and I'm sorry if others had a bad experience with lots of noise, or rowdy students, but that is the exception. There was a group of SCAD prospective students from France when we were there and were loud when in the parking lot - otherwise, I never heard them. It's not for everyone, but it was perfect for us. Glad to see this old throwback was rehabbed, and isn't that what Savannah is all about - preserving the past? Go there and have a blast!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

I had read the prior reviews of this hotel so that is why I chose it, the hotel was easy to find, very conveniet to the historic district and was very charming from the outside. Both people I dealt with when checking in were very nice and professional.

However, there were a couple of things that didn't go so smooth. First of all, they were doing overnight road construction in front of the hotel so it was hard to sleep but that isn't the hotels fault and I am sure they are done by now. Also they do play 50's/60's music on the speakers in the parking lot and at times I could hear it over the TV.

Second, I had a 24 hour drive back to Minnesota so I wanted to get an early start, I woke up at 4:30 and left about 5:15. About an hour and a half out of Savannah I realized I had left my cell phone on the bed. I pulled over at the first rest stop, and emailed the hotel to inform them of this because and asked if they could express mail it to me and that I would pay for the shipping charges. My thougt was because it was still before 8 am someone could get the phone out of the room before housekeeping had a chance to clean the room and because they might not see it . I checked my email the next morning from my overnight stop in St. Louis, I saw no reply so I resent the email asking for an update. I received and reply on this email telling me he would check with housekeeping and mail it to me. I checked the cell phone records and the only call that had been made was to the last number I had dialed, and it was later in the afternoon, so my thinking was they must have called the number to verify owner and address.

After a few days I still hadn't heard back from them and I hadn't received the phone so I called the hotel, the girl who answered said she would check and give me a call back. In the meantime, I rechecked the phone records and the phone had been used that day and the day before and the call log showed Savannah numbers. She called me back and said she checked and housekeeping had not found the phone. I informed her that the phone had been used and gave her the numbers that had been called. I called back the hotel later that day and was informed the number was the housekeepers home number. She informed me the manager would call me back and he did later on that afternoon. He said the housekeeper in question would be let go when she returned from her day off the next day, but before they let her go they would try to get my phone back for me. He said if they didn't they would pay for the insurance deductible on the phone and when informed him that I didn't have insurance on the phone he said he would pay to replace it. That was a week ago, and I haven't heard from the hotel since. In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered a replacement for the phone and emailed them a copy of the invoice, we will see if I hear back or get reimbursed.

So in the recommend section, I will say yes with hesitation because it is a nice hotel, the location is good, its kitchy, clean and the price was reasonable. But I am disappointed in the interaction or lack of from the hotel in resolving this matter. I dont know if its southern thing, but here in the North we get back to people and resolve problems quickly.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
thunderbird611, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
I am sorry we didn't get this resolved as quickly as you wanted. There is something true that it takes longer in the south to get things done. That doesn't excuse our slow response time. We did terminate the housekeeper in question and did retrieve your phone. It is unfortunate when something like this happens and I understand your frustration. We have used this event to put new policies in place. Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
New Bern, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

Pros: This hotel is a renovated retro themed 50's style roadside motel in downtown Savannah. The amenities are updated and modern and the inside of the rooms are quite nice. in the lobby you can enjoy a glass-bottled coke and a fresh Krispy Kreme donut. Service was excellent and the desk staff was friendly. This is easily the most affordable hotel in downtown. Has its own parking lot with free parking.

Cons: The advertised "continental breakfast" is actually only donuts. It is worth noting that the hotel sits on the road that divides the historic district and the more run-down areas (and yet it is only one block from the Westin). i had no problems at all and felt quite safe, although a family with children may be more comfortable spending the extra money to stay closer to the center of town.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

The Thunderbird Inn is a great place to stay while visiting charming Savannah. The inn is located within walking distance of downtown and the waterfront. The rooms were good, fairly quiet for their location and the inn was small enough to feel cozy. The staff was very helpful. All in all, a fun place to stay reminiscent of a classic american motel in the best ways.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
FAIRFAX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

First of all the price for the location can't be beat. Everything is within walking distance of the historical sights and shopping. Though it is across from the bus station, we didn't feel nervous walking around late at night.

The problem lies in the fact that there were a lot of young (and young at heart) groups crammed into each room who were determined to have as good a time as possible on a pretty spring night- some of whom seemed to resent the fact that there were small kids around. The whole atmosphere- down to the urine soaked corners in the stairwells, screaming at 3 am, and the empty beer cans - gave it a sort of frat party atmosphere that made for an uncomfortable night.

I'll still recommend this hotel if only for the location and price, but I'd urge future guests to go in with their eyes wide open- its near SCAD, its cheap, and they managemnt doesn't seem to mind much of anything. Next time I'll avoid all that is hip.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Thunderbird Inn? Share your experiences!