“Very cute, the best pillows/bed i've ever slept on” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Thunderbird Inn

You added The Thunderbird Inn to your Saves list
The Thunderbird Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   611 West Oglethorpe Ave, Savannah, GA 31401 (Yamacraw Village)   |
Ranked #46 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charleston, SC
“Very cute, the best pillows/bed i've ever slept on”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2006

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend. We loved this hotel. It was so cute with the 1960's style furnishings. It was not a place i would reccomend to stay if you're looking for luxury, but for a college student on a budget, it was awesome. It was very clean and the bed and pillows were absolutly the most comfortable i've ever used. The owner was actually nice enough to contact me after i left to let me know when he would be ordering more so I could have some of my own. They were that comfy. The hotel has a great location too. It's right downtown and for $80 a night, what more can you ask for but clean, safe, and quiet? I loved it hear, and if i go back to Savannah I won't go anywhere else. I've stayed at the Hilton in downtown Savannah and don't remember much of anything about my stay (besides their huge lobby), I had way more fun at the little Thunderbird Inn.

Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

I was relatively surprised at how clean and decent this place was. The hotel had been renovated recently, so everything was fairly new and updated. The non-smoking room we got actually was a non-smoking room (which isn't always the case). The staff was very nice. For the money, we got what we paid for and a little more.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Location of hotel
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2006

The Thunderbird is a gem for budget travellers. Its exterior appearance gives no indication of the clean, comfortable rooms that await. The staff were friendly and helpful and gave an extra discount, which we hadn't asked for, because we stayed for more than 3 nights.
The location was handy to the Historic areas and there was a fabulous Japanese restaurant less than 5 mins walk away. We didn't feel unsafe walking home at night, although I probably wouldn't have done it alone. Also within 5 minutes was the visitors centre.
We were aware of morning peak hour traffic but it wasn't too noisy.
Robyn and Glen, Brisbane Australia

• Liked — Value and cleanliness
  • Disliked — busy road
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
erlanger
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

I highly recommend this place. The room was very clean. The bed was wonderful. Mattress and pillows were far above the average hotel kind. The staff at the front desk was very helpful. Easy to get to the shuttles and visitors center. I would definetly stay here again.

Columbia, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

I agree with the other reviews on this site--Thunderbird is a good value for the money, considering how pricey Savannah lodging is. That said, we were a little underwhelmed with the T-bird on our recent one-night stay. I didn't think the beds were all that great-- the mattress was nice, but I hated the huge oversized, firm pillows. Stomach sleepers of the world unite! We need pillows w/ "give," not these overstuffed things that leave one with a crick in the neck. The AC was noisy, and the constant on/off of the fan was a distraction-- once the fan stopped, moreover, we could hear traffic noise from the street. Also, there was so much light seeping under our closed curtains from the parking lot and road, that when I awoke at 3am I thought it was morning already! The bathroom door had a nasty grating squeak, which also wasn't conducive to a quiet sleep.

Overall, once we oohed and aahed over the retro look of the place (and I admit, that neon "Thunderbird" sign is awfully cool lit up at night), it didn't feel that different from a typical evening in a budget roadside motel. I repeat, however, that for $99 on the edge of historic Savannah, we probably got what we paid for. Still a good choice, as long as you're willing to put up with a few inconveniences.

• Stayed July 2006
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2006

We stayed one night in Savannah on our way to a vacation in Myrtle Beach. The Thunderbird was just what we were hoping for.

The beds and pillows were amazing. Probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. The outside of the hotel offered a retro feel, yet the interior was completely remodeled and very stylish and clean. The hotel is walking distance to Bay and RIver St, yet not priced as high as those right in the mix, as the TBird is slightly off the beaten path. Our pet was even allowed to stay. Would recommend to anyone.

Would also recommend Tubby's Restaurant on RIver Street. The service was exceptional and the mahi mahi was wonderful. Sit out on the patio and enjoy the Savannah River at dusk.

We loved Savannah, and would not hesitate to return to the Thunderbird Inn.

• Stayed April 2006
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

We just got back from a long weekend in Savannah (June 8-11) and we could not have been happier with our accomodations at the Thunderbird Inn! The rooms have been newly remodeled and everything was very clean. The exterior has a 1950's retro look to go along with their marquee that looks original. The interior, however, is contemporary with awesome pillowtop mattresses, tall padded headboards in primary colors, modern light fixtures, and sleek wood in a chocolate finish. The bath tubs featured a curved shower rod which gave a lot more elbow room. The lobby had a small breafast area with small cafe tables and modern chairs (Philippe Starck-ish). The continental breakfast was basic, but FREE. The walk into the historic district was about 3 blocks away and this is definitely a walking town. We will definitely be staying at the Thunderbird the next time we come to Savannah!

• Stayed June 2006

Been to The Thunderbird Inn? Share your experiences!