“What a Treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Thunderbird Inn

You added The Thunderbird Inn to your Saves list
The Thunderbird Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   611 West Oglethorpe Ave, Savannah, GA 31401 (Yamacraw Village)   |
Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
“What a Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

We came across the Thunderbird Inn while searching through hotels online and knew it was the place for us-- and we were not disappointed! The rooms were clean, cool, and comfortable, with brand new air conditioning and a great atmosphere, we loved getting our moon pies (in different flavors, even!) and RC colas, but most notably, the service was OUTSTANDING. Tracy, who both checked us in and out and helped along the way, was so accommodating and friendly that he blew my Ritz Carlton's standards away. We has an absolutely wonderful time and we will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Positives
1) Great location
2) The girls at the front desk were friendly and helpful.
3) Great coffee in the AM and lemonade in the afternoon.
4) Relaxed, easy and casual environment.

Negatives
1) Terrible housekeeping.
2) In desperate need of renovations.
3) Parking not free as advertised.
4) Everything was small and cramped ( the room, parking, and lobby.)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed at the Thunderbird Inn when I was in Savannah on vacation in April 2013 (you can read my original review). When my travels were bringing me through town again in August, I decided to stay again since I had such a great experience in April. Sadly, in just a few short months everything seemed to go downhill. I was surprised about them charging for parking as that was not advertised and I was not charged in April. I had an issue with my room and I was moved. Unfortunately, I had an issue with the room I was moved too. They did do right by me and really tried their best to correct things. However, I lost an entire morning waiting for them to have the new room ready. When you only have a few days in town, you really don't want to sit in the office for hours. I will say that the staff, especially Leslie in the office and Andrea in housekeeping really were fantastic. It's just a shame that was such a different experience in just four months. I highly doubt that I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
I hate that you had two difference experiences. That is very uncool. When do you head through town again? mark@thethunderbirdinn.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

If you are traveling to Savannah on a budget this is not a bad place to stay. A good walk, wear tennis shoes, to the historic district. Loved the moon pies a RC colas!! The bathroom was extremely small, but we were not in our room much to even care about the bathroom.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
boca raton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is meant to memorize the past so obviously somethings will be that way but they could use a paint job and new ironing boards. If you need the cheapest place semi close to downtown it will work. If there's a special anywhere else that brings the prices closer, personally I'd go to the other option.

• Stayed July 2013
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

As this was my second stay at The Thunderbird, I couldn't wait to experience the retro charm of this motel again. Overall, every staff member was very friendly and accommodating - from the check-in desk to housekeeping, I could tell they were committed to a positive guest experience. The room was very clean and the new air conditioning systems do an incredible job at keeping the place cool despite the infamous Savannah summer heat. Despite having requested a second floor room, staying on the ground level was a non-event - if not more convenient. The complimentary coffee and Krispy Kremes provided were a delightful touch, but shouldn't be relied on as a substantial breakfast. The only disappointments during this stay were the newly implemented $5 per night parking fee (certainly not a deal breaker since every other hotel charges $12+ a night to park in the historic district... nonetheless a disappointment) and the broken WiFi that remained broken throughout the stay - oh well. All in all, I look forward to returning again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor rooms proved more convenient than 2nd floor rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I was planned a surprise trip for my other half for his welcome home from deployment! They offered a great military discount!! It was in walking distance from all the excitement... A little more of a walk than I really wanted but at least I got some exercise! The room smelled funky but the front desk did warned us about that when checking in. I was saddened by the fact that we didn't get any moonpies on our pillows. All in all it was a great place to sleep after a long day of sight seeing!!!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Thunderbird Inn? Share your experiences!