“Please Provide Complimentary Gas Masks to Non Smokers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Thunderbird Inn

You added The Thunderbird Inn to your Saves list
The Thunderbird Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   611 West Oglethorpe Ave, Savannah, GA 31401 (Yamacraw Village)   |
Ranked #48 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakland, MI
“Please Provide Complimentary Gas Masks to Non Smokers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My only major complaint about the Thunderbird Inn is the fact that they not only have ash trays outside each room but they also allow smoking there. The Thunderbird Inn is an old style motel with outside corridor's. If you are fortunate enough to acquire a first floor room, it is easy to avoid the people smoking outside their rooms, BUT if you are given a second level room that is not adjacent to one of the stairwells, you could be stuck holding your breath as you pass a chimney of cigarette smoke billowing from a passing guest on your way to the stairwell. They do allow pets which is a plus, the rooms are clean, the linens and towels changed daily, and in most instances well kept. We stayed there three nights and come to figure out that we must have had two different cleaning ladies, since the first and third night the fitted sheet was so poorly installed that I woke up to a bare mattress, while on the second night the fitted sheet stayed in place as it should have. The office staff is quite friendly and informative. It is a five minute walk to the free bus service and about a 15 minute walk to the heart of River Street.
If it weren't for smoking issue, I would have given the place an excellent rating. I would consider staying at The Thunderbird Inn should I ever visit Savannah with pets again.

Room Tip: If your a non smoker, Ask For The First Floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your favorable rating even though the smoking outside the rooms was an issue for you. We try to balance the comfort of all of our guests. We do have a total of 8 outdoor ash trays spaced around the sidewalks. I am sorry this bothered you and I understand.

I hope you pass through Savannah again and will lay your head with us for a night!

Regards,

Mark Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was my first trip to Savannah and first real vacation in years! The staff at the Thunderbird Inn were fantastic. Everyone was so pleasant and helpful. The whole property was clean. The doors are painted in really fun colors and they have music playing. The room was great. Super comfy beds ...moon pies on the pillows! I walked everywhere the whole week and it was just fine! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone travelling to Savannah, especially if you are on a budget!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a little note about us! It seems as if you captured the essence of the Tbird! I hope you will come back again! I am glad you enjoyed your stay!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

This place was so much more interesting for my family. I chose it over the more conventional motels to entertain my husband and 11 year old on our vacation. We loved this place. The staff were courteous and helpful, the rooms were clean, the price was great. We only stayed one night but I would recommend this place to anyone going to Savannah.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I am also pleased that you are teaching your children appreciate unique experiences! I am delighted that you all enjoyed it!

By the way, if you liked the retro, look up Travel Retro; they have tons of cool inns like ours.

regards,

Greenwood, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just visited Savannah for the first time. Thunderbird Inn was clean and neat. Comfy beds. Not real quiet as it is close to a main road and building construction was going on next door. Bring ear plugs. Close to the Historic District so that was a plus. Moon pies on the pillow was a nice touch. The Staff was very helpful in recommending places to eat and things to see and do. Shana and Spencer were the best go to people. The air conditioning was out in the lobby so you really couldn't eat breakfast comfortably there, I felt sorry for the staff having to work there all shift.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to type a review for us. I am sorry about the air in the lobby. We now have a fantastic new, much more energy efficient, AC unit. The staff says it was worth the wait!

I am also sorry that the construction around us drowned out the Rock-N-Roll and Moonpies... I understand that makes it a little loud during the day. We are looking at it as a small price for all of the fantastic investment in our neighborhood. Glass is half full, right?

I hope you will return soon and see all of the fantastic buildings completed and the Rock-N-Roll setting the vibe for a fantastic Savannah experience!

Stay Hip!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My mom and I went to Savannah for a girls' getaway, and I made reservations at the Thunderbird. The room was sufficient, but the beds......oh my!!! I think they are the MOST COMFORTABLE beds I have slept in, besides my own at home! The location was terrific, literally blocks away from Historic Districts, two blocks from a trolley service, and parking wasn't a problem otherwise. The staff at Thunderbird were AMAZING!! So incredibly helpful with anything and everything! I have to give a shout-out to Spencer, we came back to the hotel around 9-ish and there wasn't any parking, Spencer moved his car twice so we could have his spot. They also accomodated us when we decided to stay an extra night by switching some rooms around so we could stay in the same room. We will definitely stay at The Thunderbird again!

Room Tip: We stayed right after St. Patrick's Day, and they said they had a lot of party goers, which is w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to say kind words about Spencer! He is fantastic! His can-do attitude exemplifies who we are at the Tbird!

I also love that you love our beds! They are so comfy you almost want to skip the city... well, almost!

Come back again soon!

Bavaria, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Very pleasent location, everything within walking distance. The rooms are a bit in need of renovation. The breakfast is nothing special, but serves the needs. Very friendly and helpful staff. I would recommend this hotel to people, which are on a budget.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for the note! I am pleased that you stayed with us. I am sorry the the Krispy Kreme and coffee wasn't what you were looking for in a breakfast! Our staff has fantastic suggestions around town to get a full breakfast. We figure with so many great options around town, we just want to offer a fun, slightly sinful way to start your day!

Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Great place to meet our Son and Daughter in Law for family fun. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly and very helpful, enjoyed the music and the locations was great for walking. Would totally stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Lisa G,

Thanks for the kind words! I hope you come back when you're this way!

Mark Thomas

Been to The Thunderbird Inn? Share your experiences!