“A Goodnights Sleep” 4 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #37 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
“A Goodnights Sleep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Springhill Suites was a simple and clean hotel. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Hotel staff was friendly and attentive.

My only gripe is with the included breakfast. The quality was average at best. Could not get the DIY waffles to crisp up, the pastry was dry and tasteless. At least the coffee was hot.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We needed a room for one night near highway because we were passing through on our way to Florida. We chose this one based on pics posted. The room was as depicted, but not very clean. The carpet and walls had food spills visible and the bathtub was dirty. In addition, the room has an odd set up because of the sitting area with the tv cabinet places in the walkway between the two rooms. We will probably find another hotel next time we drive to Florida.

• Stayed August 2012
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were travelling to Orlando from Charlotte. This looked like a good mid point to stop. It was clean, quiet and had comfortable beds. We got in around 10 p.m. on 8/9/12 and left at 8:30 a.m. the next morning after breakfast. The breakfast was decent. About what you'd expect. No made to order omelets or anything, but we just grabbed some bagels, fruit and yogurt which was fine for us.

For what I could see there were many hotels right off the highway in this area as well as restaurants, so it isn't like you're in the middle of nowhere. I would defnitely recommend to anyone want a nice, clean and quiet place to stay that won't break the bank.

Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed on a busy weekend night in early August. I had two rooms and was able to check into one of them an hour before check-in and got the second an hour after check-in so it balanced out. The front desk staff were friendly and attentive. The lobby was welcoming and roomy. When I first arrived at 1:00 p.m. a room was not available but the gent at the counter offered to refrigerate the birthday cake I had with me (we were celebrating my daughter's birthday). That was a nice touch. They also offered to call me when one of the rooms became available. I was at a Hampton Inn in Charleston SC two days before where they asked me to keep calling them to check about room availability. I like the SHS approach much better.

The rooms were normal SHS but were the older style (newer SHSs are very contemporary). The TV was 42" and swiveled so that it could be viewed from the sitting area or the bed. The internet was snappier than most I encounter at Marriott branded hotels - impressive. There was plenty of space to move around in the bedroom area and the layout was well planned as the AC DOES NOT blow on your head while you are sleeping. I have noticed tight bedroom spaces and AC blowing on my head in other, older SHSs so this place obviously used a different plan.

Bathroom - The shower head could be better. I adjusted it as much as possible and was never able to get a good, steady stream of water. It seemed to create more of a water circle so you had to work hard to rinse your hair. The sink area was darker than normal. I asked at the front desk and was told the lights were Marriott spec. I stay in lots of Marriott's and these lights are not standard. I'd guess you get a total of about 60 watts which is not sufficient for a bathroom sink.

I used their workout room. It was small but had the recumbent bike I needed. The AC was set at 74 and could not be adjusted. I am accustomed to exercise rooms being kept cooler. It appears the hotel is trying to reduce their electric bill but some of the steps impact guest comfort.

Breakfast was a challenge because it was so busy. The chairs in the eating area were large and upholstered that made moving between the tables difficult. When nobody is sitting in the chairs all is great but, as soon as they are pulled out, things get tight. The two ladies attending breakfast hustled to keep everything supplied. Breakfast was sub-par for SHS (I have seen much better) as they didn't have sour cream or salsa for the eggs. Also, instead of normal scrambled eggs, they served the egg hockey pucks. Sausage was available and the links were so over cooked that they literally crumbled when bit into. I found this surprising given how busy and crowded breakfast was. The OJ was good and a bolder coffee was available that helped make up for some of the breakfast shortcomings. They did have cooked oatmeal that was glop when I got to it. Oatmeal is cheap and I always wonder why hotels don't replace the stuff when it can no longer be scooped out? I tried to use hot water to thin the oatmeal but it was luke warm.

Ice machine on my floor was out of order. I got ice from the ground floor machine and, inadvertently, flipped the tray that you sit the bucket on out of the machine. When I bent to pick it up I noticed lots of mold on the bottom of the tray. Very, very yucky. Two of the people who make up the rooms were nearby and I handed the tray to them with a suggestion that they run it through the dishwasher. They got the tray to a maintenance person right away.

Bottom line - Room size/layout, internet and friendly staff outweigh the other smaller issues to make this hotel a decent place for an overnight.

Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed two nights and we were pleased with every aspect of the stay. The weekend was very busy and the hotel was full. The room was as expected and the morning breakfast was good. We only had and coffee but they were very good. We used the pull out sofa and it was sufficient for our needs. We were most pleased with the staff and their willingness to help. We asked for an extra quilt and pillows the first night and it was no problem. Needed extra towels the next night and also no problem. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bathroom was clean. We had a accessible room and the shower was easy to get into and out. All handicap items were included.

Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The good: No one died

The bad: the shower didn't work, the bed had huge bow in the middle.

I got two adjoining rooms @ 90 dollars a night. It was my last and only choice.

On the whole, it worked. 2 very small suites, but hey it was 90 bucks eat.

Shower didn't work. Water pressure was the lowest since when I was in Iraq. The dirt on my body mocked it.

The bed was held up by cinderblock (sheets cover it, you had to look to find it). I was beat, it worked.

Breakfast was every man for himself. Crowded, no space, but I've trained my teens to fend for themselves since age 4, so it worked.

On the whole, better to be had in Savannah. But if this is it for you, you'll get a good night's sleep if you get yourself really tired first.

Boynton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Each summer we drive from Florida to North Carolina. Springhill Suites off I-95 in Savannah is where we've stayed for the last five years. I was a little concerned after reading recents posts about it. We found it to be clean and well maintained. Everything we requested was honored. The staff was friendly and efficient. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to SpringHill Suites Savannah I-95 South? Share your experiences!