“Great location for walking, nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Save up to 25% Book Early
Ranked #31 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Narragansett, Rhode Island
“Great location for walking, nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Spent 3 nights here in early July and had a very pleasant stay. The staff was friendly and efficient and helpful. The room was good and well cared for as far as upkeep goes. Was what we expected in an HGI.

The hotel location is near River Street and right behind City Market which stayed lively into the night. We hardly used the car at all , either walking or taking the scenic trolleys. We signed up for a multi-day ticket for the trolleys and used them to get on and off in various spots in the city. We took the complete route first to orient ourselves and then used it to bop around afterwards.

Its on the commercial end of the historic district so it isn't as romantic a setting as some of the other hotels , its not the kind of place to spend time outside on the balcony checking out things because of the nature of this end of the district , but it worked for what we wanted to do.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We only stayed for one night. There were some positive observations, including great location, friendly front desk staff, and tasty breakfast options. The room was fine; I have nothing particularly notable to say about our king room other than to mention that we were comfortable.

I had to bump down the rating a bit due to an unpleasant interaction on Sunday morning (7/28) with the staff member who seated us for breakfast and took our drink orders. It is a shame this person is so far apart from the rest of the staff in her customer service skills, as it only takes one bad apple to hurt the guest experience for a short stay. I would recommend additional training, or else she just simply doesn't fit the hotel's culture. Our server was great, though.

So overall our visit was pretty good, but I personally would not stay here again only because I'm sure there are plenty of options in the same area where rude staff can be completely avoided. I hope that's not asking for too much.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jackie S, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback regarding our breakfast staff. We have forwarded your comments to our Food & Beverage Director so that they can look into the situation and address it for future guests.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband & I recently spent a week in this hotel and enjoyed our time there. The staff was great & the breakfast was wonderful. While not in the center of town it was a great location only a block away from City Market. We wanted to be close to everything but return to a quiet spot. This hotel was perfect.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Kennesaw, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was expecting a lot from this hotel and for me it fell short (especially considering the price and the extra things you have to pay for).

First, the location is great. It's near River Street and near a lot of things, so it's perfect for walking around and not having to go too far. But I mainly had issues with the hotel itself. I stayed one night with my boyfriend and I booked a "city view" suite. We were on the second level so our view was extremely limited. We got a view of a random side street. Nothing exciting on it. This was my first time in Savannah so I was pretty disappointed by that.

Also, the floor we were on had the gym and a door outside to the pool. Once we got off the elevator to get to our room it was extremely muggy, hot, and humid in the hallway and it also had a really bad sweaty smell (probably due to the gym).

Another negative (and I don't know if this is how all the rooms were set up or just ours) was that the light switch for the bathroom was outside of the bathroom and in an odd place. It's placed to the left of the door. The door opens up into the room and swings to the left. So when you get into the bathroom and look for the light and realize it's not in there, you're instinct is to look outside and to your left (from inside the bathroom). Nope it's not there. It's on the other side of the door that's open. So you have to walk out of the bathroom and around the door, shut it a little bit to get behind it and turn the light on. Whoever designed that really screwed up. It was annoying to say the least.

The extra fees I wasn't too thrilled about included the mandatory $18/night valet parking. I did know about this ahead of time when I booked the hotel, but I still wasn't thrilled about it. Also, they don't offer a free breakfast in the morning. You have to pay $10 for a breakfast buffet that was nothing special. It's the standard breakfast foods I've gotten at many other hotels (for free) and the food wasn't cooked very well at all (example: the pancakes were crunchy on the outside).

The staff was very friendly and our room was ok, but overall I would not go back to this hotel again and I wouldn't recommend it either.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor if possible.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. We are sorry you are disappointed in the hotel. Our goal is to ensure each and every guest is fully satisfied with all aspects of the stay and we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. We hope you will choose to stay with us one more time as we would love to have the opportunity to make your next visit flawless.
Greenville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel over 100 times in the past 2 years and while the staff has changed periodically the front desk staff, particularly Debra and Savannah have always gone out to accommodate me when plans change or I need addiional rooms for clients. They do truly treat me like family

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was the best location. City Market is just steps from the door. River Street is across the street. The concierge was extremely helpful. The staff was very nice and accommodating. Will stay there again!

Room Tip: Parking is expensive, but there is not much need for a car once you get there.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel was very nice. It had valet parking and a very friendly staff. It is located right in historic downtown and is accessible to shops, restaurants, and night life. We had the whirl pool room and it was fabulous. The only downfall is we got there at 2 and I room was not ready until 530. We did get the opportunity to explore the river walk and scope out a plan for the night. The room was very big and had a great view. We were incredibly impressed by the hotel and surroundings,

Room Tip: A regular room would probably be ready faster.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District? Share your experiences!