“Sanctuary in the City” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Bonita
“Sanctuary in the City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We had a lovely room overlooking the courtyard. This hotel is across from beautiful Forsyth Park and away from the hustle bustle of the riverfront. We really enjoyed the sanctuary after a busy day sightseeing.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

My daughter and I decided to explore Savannah for a few days. This hotel was perfect. I booked the concierge level and the morning breakfast offered on this level (coffee, juice & fruit for us because we're vegans) was enough to tide us over until we stopped our walking exploration for lunch. Because it rained for most of our stay, we spent our evenings with a couple of cocktails in the Casmir Lounge listening to musical performances. The free hotel shuttle to the partner hotel, The Bohemian on the Riverfront, was a nice opportunity to have dinner in a different part of town, but we also quickly realized that we had made the right choice with the Forsyth Mansion because of its setting (right across from the beautiful park) and quietness.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Stayed here overnight on business and dined at their 700 restaurant. The hotel's luxurious style and charm was captivating and not like any place I have been and the price is also unlike anything I have seen even close to the same caliber (1/4 the cost). Art is displayed on the walls and rooms are sexy and glamorous and yet manage to still feel comfortable and warm. The dining experience at 700 was wonderfully warm and delicious. Shane the chef's creative take on the scallops dish I ordered hit the mark perfectly unlike many fusion dishes that usually are either over or under done. I would highly recommend this hotel and restaurant and above all, Shane, you rock!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and child have stayed here a total of 10 nights. We travel a lot and this is among our favorite couple of hotels in the US. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. Huge bathrooms. And lots of luxury features such as the gym, bar, art gallery, restaurant and cooking classes. The staff is amazing -- valet, front desk, housekeeping -- all professionals. Great neighborhood too.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

All areas of this hotel are exceptionally clean. There is no better location if you wish to participate in events at Forsyth Park. I felt very safe at this hotel and enjoyed morning walks around the park. There is a shuttle to the Riverfront, although I did not take advantage of this. For all of these reasons I would certainly return. However, it should be noted that this property missed the mark in several areas. I did not see the consistent level of top quality service that Marriott is famous for and this was a disappointment. This is my first stay at an Autograph Collection property, but I expected, since it is in the Marriott family, the same level of service. There were small things that surprised me (styro cups for coffee instead of china cups, no coffee available during the the 5-8 concierge lounge hours, concierge breakfast items appeared to be appetizers, causing me to wonder if they were from the evening before. My king size bed was too short (I am 5'8") as if it had been turned horizontally to the wall. The rooms above the entrance are noisy as smokers congregated outside in the evening. The decor is somewhat over the top and not always tasteful.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Elisa D, Restaurant Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Greetings Mr/Ms Nasizzy-

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Mansion on Forsyth Park. I am glad that you enjoyed the location and the park. However, I am terribly sorry to hear about your experience in the concierge lounge as well as the noise from the courtyard. Our morning standard is to provide eggs and bacon with fresh pastries at our concierge lounge buffet. In addition, I apologize for the confusion and although we do not have a coffee station from 6-9pm, we do offer coffee service upon request. Thank you for sharing your experience with us as it is our most important tool as we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests.

Tim Hehman
700 Drayton Restaurant
Livonia, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We had a reward certificate from my wives employer. Marriott reservations were extremely helpful in finding us this room and the property was able to get us a room. This place was elegant, had flowers on the walls of the elevator and paintings on the hall corridors. The onle snag we had was getting the room cards programed correctly. The reservation associate, Kyle was very helpful and apologized on the two times I had to return to the desk. Ultimately the manager got it corrected. She indicated this was a computer glitch they had been dealing with that she thought was fixed. The room was beautiful. The certificate we had also included breakfast which was excellent. a very stylish and comfortable stay with helpful front desk employees.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlantic Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed here Fri-Sun. Understandably, its's wedding season, but NOT understandably, the lobby area, eating/bar areas are pretty overrun with (well-dressed) wedding attendees. The pool has also been closed to the paying guests in the afternoons/evenings/night due to "private events." Pretty unsatisfying given the price. Also, the noise from bands and private party guests (courtyard/pool/interior room, not park) is a bit much, but this actually doesn't bother us terribly, as we don't usually retire before midnight anyway. Just a note for others who may not.
Savannah, of course, is a magical city. Walking, tasting, shopping, movies in the park, catching up on some long lost history.....it is genuinely striking. This simply isn't the place for us given the surrounding unrest and limited access to hotel amenities. Dare I call it even a but generic, despite its noteworthy history.
I am usually happy to spend money on a unique hotel for a nice weekend...don't get me wrong....but only when the hotel makes every guest feel welcome and accommodated. While the staff has all been quite kind, clearly the supplemental income the Kessler brand pulls in with such parties seems to supersede the need to satisfy "regular" guests.
We recommend finding another hotel (or any of a number of gorgeous B&B's) in the Forsythe park area. They will be more personalized, and undoubtedly a better value.
(Of note, valet guys are really great, as well if that's any consolation!)

• Stayed April 2014
Elisa D, Front Office Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to speak with Mr. Kelley, our GM, regarding your recent experience. We are working diligently to resolve the issues you shared with him and are glad he was able to resolve this matter to your satisfaction. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to make your next experience with us above and beyond your expectations.

Elisa Dickerson

Been to Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!