“Loved the hotel. Hated paying for WiFi” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #34 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Hamden, Connecticut
“Loved the hotel. Hated paying for WiFi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend. The hotel is beautiful. Loved the art work. The bathrooms were gorgeous. More lighting is needed in the room. The dark paint is beautiful during the day but makes for a very dark room at night. The light fixtures were nice but not very effective. The bed was extremely comfortable. The pool is small but very nice. The food at 700 Drayton was delish. Jessica at the front desk and Dawn at the bar were fantastic!! Great employees! Friendly and accommodating.
We were a little disappointed in the size of the gym. If more than four people were working out, it was crowded.
Paying for WiFi...Really????? They really need to re-think that one. Huge turn off. Not giving an excellent rating because of that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

A lovely hotel with very nice service.
It has a great lobby bar and delicious drinks and cuisine.
There is a small pool to enjoy and interesting Art all over the hotel.
The room was good size and a spacious bathroom.
Service was friendly , fast and welcoming.
Skip concierge access. Not really worth the cost. Average breakfast and bites at night.
There is a shuttle to the river.
Overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Select a nice view instead of the pool because of noise.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last month for my birthday and it was a pleasant experience. The rooms are decorated very nice and the bed is extremely comfortable. Our room overlooked the pool area, which happened to be very relaxing as well. The hotel is filled with eccentric art pieces and the surrounding area is very serene as the hotel is just across the street from a large beautiful park. The hotel also offers a free shuttle to the downtown/ river street main strip if you're looking to dine or shop in that area. The hotel is interconnected with a residential area so if you can find parking on the sidewalks surrounding the hotel, save your money and dont pay the $22 nightly valet rate. Staff was very friendly and gave us great recommendations during our stay. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I went to this property on business. I arrived late and the late night staff was very good. Hotel was very nice. I will be back often. Top ten hotels I have ever been to and I travel often. This is a no brainer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel was a nice surprise! Had originally booked my stay at Westin but had seen a local spa deal on Travelzoo for their spa. After purchasing the spa deal, I decided to change my hotel destination and so glad I did. Price was comparable to Westin, Hilton or other full service hotel in town.

The location was perfect for me. I was visiting Savannah to get my daughter off to SCAD and was conveniently located. Quiet streets and a gorgeous park with restaurant and bar on site, cafe across the street. It would be a long walk to downtown, take the free shuttle and save your energy to walk the downtown area.

The room was just beautiful. I loved all the chandeliers, velvet drapery, and comfy pretty bed. Shower was awesome and a huge soaking tub, pick up some bath salts when shopping the many stores. The pool was nice and quiet where we enjoyed a nap one afternoon.

We were on concierige level. I noticed several reviews that mentioned it wasn't worth the extra money but I thought it paid for itself. The breakfast was simple but I like my coffee, fruit and toast. We did go and get our wine in the evening and a little snack before dinner. Agreed that the location of the lounge was not ideal, but the front desk did say that they were preparing to have it on the 4th floor again.

The spa was small but very nice. They were doing some renovations so there was no place to relax after treatment. That was disappointing, I decided to wait in my room while my daughter finished up her treatments. Hope that reno is completed soon to make a spa visit complete.

We enjoyed the onsite restaurant for a lunch and a dinner, both providing exceptional service and food.

Overall loved this place and will stay here every time I return to Savannah to visit my daughter at school.

qld
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Manson.

We loved the location - just on Forsyth Park, beautiful 20 minute walk down the very beautiful Bull St with all its magnificient Squares and surrounding beautiful Mansions to the river front. Nice coffee shops, restaurants and antique shops all the way down. Very magical.

The only problem is the Hotel.

Rooms are very average - we stayed in supposedly a suite - but it was just one big room.

Furnishing average, room lighting poor, shower products (eg shampoo etc) poor quality. No bath salts or bubble bath stuff unless you pay $25+. So if you have a bath you have to just be happy with soap only - there is not even shower gel.

It was a park view suite - but it had a small window with furniture in front - so no view at all really.

We are gold Marriott members so we had access to the concierge level for a continental breakfast. Terrible setup, no atmosphere at all, cold worn table tops with no table cloth - not nice at all and very limited choice of food - some cold boiled eggs, cereal boxes, some uninviting pastries and mini quiches. We settled for the bagels and fresh fruit.. Styrofoam cups as well for coffee.

They recommended we try their world famous 'old savannah ice cream' while we were there - that was supposed to have nougatine, short bread, caramel and rum - what we got was a tasteless ice cream murdered with strawberry sirup. It had not one of the above listed ingedients. When we queried it, rather than investigating (and admitting it was clearly wrong and fixing the problem) they just offered us a credit. We did not want a credit - we wanted to get what we ordered.. Just investigate it and fix it next time - but that was too hard.

House keeping was also a problem - we would leave at 8am, put a sign out to make our room, return at 2.30pm - room still unmade.

Lastly it has the feel of an old tired hotel.

The staff are generally very helpful unless there is a problem - then they struggle to handle it well.

I will not be staying here again.

We tossed up between this and the Hamilton Turner inn - having seen the Hamilton Turner inn I would try that next time - great location, beautiful old house..

• Stayed September 2013
Middletown, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My sister and I took our mother to Savannah to visit her 56th birthday and wanted to do something special so I booked Mansion after reading previous reviews and looking at the pictures. I saw on the website that the hotel provided a shuttle but it was unfortunately not a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, so we had to hail a cab last minute. (maybe a little underplanning on our part but really? It's 15min from the airport, for the price we paid it should have been provided.)

Once we arrived the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful with our luggage. One of the gentlemen who helped carry our bags gave us some sight seeing tips and was delightful. When we reached our room I asked for the pull-out bed to be delivered to the room. (When I called to reserve the hotel I requested this.) He stated that he would have it sent up.

We went to a restaurant and when we returned the bed was still not there. I called down to guest services to request the pullout bed again, and the women who answered stated that it was a fire hazard and that they would be unable to provide the bed. I stated that two members of her staff told me that they would bring it up, and now it was not a possibility at all. (clearly the restrictions and guidelines are not communicated to all members of the staff.) Quite an inconvenience, and needless to say the green chair is NOT a comfortable place to sleep. The bathroom set up is very odd, and only 1 person can be in there at once for privacy purposes. Ideal for a couple but not for a family at all.

Mansion is a ways away from River Street where there are a lot of things to do, so either bring money for a cab or just get a rental car. The shuttle service at this hotel is by far THE WORST I have ever seen. We were only here for 3 days, and spent a good chunk of that time waiting for shuttles. The shuttle is supposed to go back and forth twice an hour to the Bohemian Hotel which is right on River Street. The first time we needed a shuttle during the day we had to wait 45min because they were just understaffed. The next night the woman at the front desk told us the shuttle rides until 11pm. We arrived at the Bohemian Hotel from a day of fun around 9pm to catch the shuttle back to Mansion. After waiting for 15min I asked the bell-hop if it was still coming, he replied "yes". After another 15min, I. Requested that he called because we had already waited a half hour. Another 15min passes and he stated, "Sorry the shuttle is not coming, you are going to have to call a cab. We waited for 45min for a shuttle that never showed up. Words of advice, TAKE THE CABS! Unfortunately this happened to us twice more the next day. We spent at least an hour a day waiting for shuttles. The service is a complete disaster and they should not even offer it if they can't uphold and maintain the standards of their guests.

A pretty place, but I would have rather stayed closer to River Street, or at a smaller B & B who caters better to their guests. Unfortunately I do not think it was worth the money. Stop in to see the mansion, but not recommended to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!