“Romantic and Modern Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #32 of 112 hotels in Savannah
Atlanta, GA
“Romantic and Modern Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel has a great location on a quiet street across from Forsyth Park. The bed was very comfortable and our suite was modern with a southern flair. We did not make it to the restaurant here but would love to check it out next time! The lobby and bar area were very swanky and gilded yet inviting. This area is several blocks from the crowded River Street tourist area. It also seems geared more toward adults than families traveling with kids.

993 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have stayed in the best properties around the world and sincerely this is one of them. I could not believe it either as I was just passing through. Service was incredible, food at the restaurant was better than most nyc ones, rooms were huge and beautiful, location great, this place is like some kind of museum. I cannot say enough about it.

Room Tip: As for a corner room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Elisa D, Front Office Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback! We are very appreciative that you consider our property, staff, and food to be one of the best properties in the world. It is our mission to embody the true essence of southern hospitality in our unique, bohemian accommodations. As always, we would love to welcome you back on your next trip through Savannah!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel's location on beautiful Forsyth Park is its greatest calling card, but not its only one. The park became the centerpiece of our visit to Savannah, enjoyable for walking, scenery and people watching. Can't emphasize too highly how much of a plus this was. Hotel itself was a very good value for the money - not quite brilliant but with a lot of strengths and definitely more than worth the rates. Great bar, breakfasts, totally over-the-top decor. Wonderful home base for exploring the rest of Savannah. One downside: bathroom is basically open to the rest of the room, closed off only by a curtain.

Room Tip: You definitely want a room facing Forsyth Park
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Rarely does a hotel look better in reality than it does on the internet, but in this case we were delightfully surprised. The hotel itself is lovely with original art work along all the corridors. The lobby is welcoming and the bar inviting. The dining facility is intimate and the food appealing to the eye and the palate. Our room was large, facing the park, with a wonderful bathroom including a whirlpool tub. The location is perfect and we thoroughly enjoyed the warm weather and lazy strolls in the park and surrounding neighborhood. The staff was friendly and courteous from the valet attendants to the concierge. We plan to stay at the Mansion again for any future visits to Savannah.

Room Tip: Highly recommend a corner room with a view of the park.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very pleased to hear the many wonderful comments about your recent experience! The many charming aspects of our property situated on picturesque Forsyth Park truly provide a fresh and unique experience while visiting the city, and we are very glad that we exceeded your expectations. Our staff anxiously awaits your next visit to Savannah!

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I love Savannah and have visited the city a number of times in the past seven years, always staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Airport, which I would also recommend for its Southern charm and hospitality. I have passed the Mansion on Forsyth Park many times and always promised to treat myself there one day and finally did so. My expectations were more than met. The magnificently restored Victorian mansion is in the heart of the beautiful historic district and everything about the hotel has a taste of southern luxury, tinted with some typical Savannah quirks. Our room and ensuite overlooked Forsyth Park and were outstanding and luxuriously appointed, as indeed is the whole hotel which has interesting artwork throughout. We had a delicious seafood meal in the restaurant followed by a relaxing evening in the bar entertained by a wonderful live jazz band. In general, the staff were hospitable and friendly and our stay was well worth the price.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a room overlooking Forsyth Park.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for treating yourself to The Mansion on Forsyth Park! We are delighted to know that the reality exceeded your expectations. We are also happy to learn how much you enjoyed your dinner and live music at 700 Drayton restaurant and Casimir’s Lounge. Hearing how much you appreciated the charm of our staff and property makes us elated, we thank you for that. We look forward to welcoming you back.

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

this was a luxury experience at an affordable price
the only flaw, pay for net and no real parking
everything else was stellar
the furnishings and environments were wonderful
the staff was friendly and efficient

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Elisa D, Front Office Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are happy to learn that you have so many positive things to say about our hotel, our furnishings, environment and especially our friendly staff! Should your future travel plans include Savannah, we hope you will stay with us again.

Front Office Manager
daremywildheart
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is an update of my latest stay at The Mansion on Forsyth. First of all, let me start by saying this has been one of my favorite properties ever and I've enjoyed staying here bi-yearly over the past 8 years. I come up every six months and stay several days while my husband is in school training. There are so many things I love about this hotel! The location on the park is amazing- it's a quiet retreat close enough to downtown but just far enough away to make you feel like more of a local than a tourist; the beautiful decor and boutique feel that still nods to the past and age of the original part of the building yet feels modern at the same time; the lovely spacious rooms with beautiful bathrooms and a huge bathtub, and the list goes on. However.....I have seen a decline in certain areas and it is slightly dissapointing. So here we go with the negatives.

First off, the beds are really showing thier age and wear. We had a room with 2 queens, and had problems with the fitted sheet popping off one of the beds. When it did, it revealed that the side of the mattress was actually coming apart. The outside covering was ripped and actually torn away from the mattress all along the entire side. Normally something I wouldn't have looked for but because of the sheet issue, I saw the mattress and was shocked at how bad of shape it was in, especially for a high end hotel. After all, when it comes down to it...the bed is the most important part of your stay. Since I've been coming here so often and for so many years, i remember how nice the beds used to be, including the bedding itself which has also changed. Before this was a Marriot affiliated property, the bed linens were better quality. The beds actually used to have duvets/down comforters and sheets that were soft and well fitted. Now, the sheets feel cheap, and the comforters have been replaced by cheap blankets and coverlets. Each night they became a twisted mess. This coupled with the antiquated mattress meant we had poor sleep 6 nights in a row.

The next thing I noticed that has changed, is the thermostat. I'm funny about these things, because I'm a light sleeper, and hotels that have a fan that kicks off and on drive me crazy. I like it when you can adjust it to leave it on high or low, for constant white noise. It used to be adjustable, but is no longer. I'm guessing to save money they were changed. I actually had to go to Target and buy a fan to cancel out the noise so we could get some sleep. Another thing that changed, was the dimmer switches that used to be on the bathroom lighting (the chandelier sconces along side the vanity mirror). Gone...for whatever reason. It was nice to be able to set a mood or have the lights dim for early morning. I don't understand why this was changed. One last gripe about the room itself is the shower. The water pressure is very weak and the shower head does not seem to be working properly. Both of my teenage daughters with long hair had problems with thier hair being a tangled mess after using the shower and having trouble rinsing their hair. I never used it, being a bath girl. The tub is still wonderful with amazing water pressure and fill up very fast.

So my next issues have more to do with management than the property itself. Like I said, we come every 6 months. But since Marriot has owned it, we've had issues when making reservations. This is ironic to me because we happen to be Marriott Platinum members. But it has something to do with manager at this property itself. We make our reservations many months in advance and should be able to be guaranteed a room with 2 queen beds. But if you look closely at the reservation, they never guarantee that this is what you will get. We've shown up before, with 4 people, and were told we had to have a king with a pullout bed, even though we requested 2 queens months ahead of time. Since that experience, we learned that we actually have to call the Platinum line, and have them call the hotel and over ride them to guarantee us the room we want. A total pain in the neck. This management at this hotel seems to block out the queen rooms for large parties (they host many wedding groups here). So be warned. We learned the hard way. Especially if it's a peak season, expect to have issues if you want 2 queens guaranteed.

So my final gripe is really not a big deal, but since they now have a concierge lounge, I'm going to comment on that. Obviously, we stay at alot of Marriott's and I feel the lounge for a hotel of this quality is really sub par. The room itself is decorated lovely, like the rest of the hotel, but the offerings are very limited. Basic pastries, some fruit and some gross little premade pancakes. Evening service was a cheese tray and some nasty little chicken skewers. I've had much better food at other properties. I liked it better when they used to give us coupons to use down at the restaurant for breakfast.

Overall, I still love this hotel. There are so many positive things it has going for it. The majority of the staff was very nice and helpful. When I left a note for housekeeping about sheets and towels, they accomodated. Josh at the bar is the best! We will be sad to see him go. I really hope to see things turn around for the better and hope they will invest in some new mattresses!

Room Tip: We were in room 403, concierge level overlooking the park
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!