“Great hotel, lousy location.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #30 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great hotel, lousy location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Very nice hotel, classy interior, beautiful historic building. Unfortunately the location is many blocks from downtown (where most of the action in Savannah is) so be ready to walk a long distance or take a taxi. Avoid driving because parking is very limited in Savannah. At night is a little creepy! Avoid walking alone in the area.
The bar near the lobby is very small but “next door” (on the same premises) is a great restaurant/bar called 700 Drayton. Across from the hotel is the main park of Savannah (Forsyth Park) excellent for a morning walk.
The owner of the Mansion has another property in downtown Savannah called Bohemian Hotel. The location is near all the shops and restaurants, and the bar on the roof is fantastic!! Next time in Savannah I will skip the Mansion and try the Bohemian!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at the Mansion on Forsyth for a birthday weekend in one of the suites with concierge level. The lobby was nicely decorated and the art all over the hotel was tasteful.

The room was spacious, the tub was relaxing overlooking the room, the views to the Forsyth Park were beautiful. However the bed was very hard and uncomfortable and the bed sheets didn't fit the mattress correctly, so I woke up several times during the night trying to fix the sheets to fit the mattress.

The room had some stains in the carpet and there was no free wifi, which is very disappointing when you are in a luxury hotel and internet connection is not complimentary.

The hotel is very busy and the all day they had weddings in the courtyard where the pool is located. So basically, part of the day the pool are was closed and when it was open you had to walk where all the people in the wedding reception could see you, which it was very awkward.

We decided to have lunch at the 700 Drayton, we entered the restaurant and had to wait 10 minutes before we were greeted, then while having lunch we asked for several things and never got, so we had to request several times. The food was good, but the service was not great. Kessler hotels charge a standard 22% tip to all services which is extremely annoying. A tip is supposed to be to reward good service not a standard fee for service. I have experienced several Kessler hotels and the quality of service is not as good as other chains, most likely in part due to the standard tip, so basically it doesn't matter for them if they provide good/bad service.

We tried to have some treatments at the Poisedon spa, we called several times and no one answered our calls, so we decided to go down to the spa. We waited for 10 minutes and no one came to the front desk, so we left. If it is a busy weekend they should staff the hotel accordingly as it is a luxury hotel.

The concierge level was nice, it was a small room and quite busy, so it was difficult to be able to sit, but it was nice to have some refreshments and light food.

The location is good, there is a 15-20 minute walk to the river walk, however it is a nice walk surrounded by history and beautiful architecture.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed overnight in between visits to see family over the Thanksgiving week- so glad we chose this hotel! The staff was incredibly friendly, the hotel itself was beautiful, and the room was absolutely amazing.

We spent a little bit more to stay at this hotel, but it was completely worth the money. With Savannah music and art museums as the main theme for this hotel, there was a classiness and fun to this hotel that gets missed when you stay somewhere just to lay your head down for a night.

The next time I am in Savannah, I intend to stay here again. It's great location and service makes it an ideal spot in town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for four nights over Thanksgiving weekend. We were on the concierge floor with our medium sized dog. The food on the concierge floor was good and we only went out for breakfast one time during our stay. The staff and guests loved our dog and he got lots of loving attention from everyone. We ate in the bar with him a couple of times and the food was great. It is a good location if you like to walk a lot which we do. The park across the street is beautiful and a great place to walk the dog. The concierge helped us out twice with activities. The valet service was perfect. Our car was always waiting when we were ready to go. I enjoyed the spa one morning. The bathroom in the room is perfect. I loved the shower head and the size of the bathtub was perfect for long soaks. The hotel provided champagne for my birthday. I would definitely stay there again and I know my dog, Jack, would love to go back and see his friends. The only reason the stay was not perfect was that the fitted sheet was too small for the king bed and the sheet would come off the mattress at night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Mansion at Forsyth Park is a lovely place to stay from the art throughout to the plush beds. The service here truly sets it apart. Everything I asked for was provided promptly and courteously, from directions to a charger for my phone. We had a large group at the hotel and from what I could tell there are two types of rooms. One with a bath that can be closed off from the bedroom area and one with only curtains separating the bath and bedroom area. If you want the additional privacy make sure you request the former. The room service and bar are pricey but not out of line with what I expect from this type of facility. Starbucks coffee in the room was a welcome treat. Valet is offered at $20 per night or you can park on the surrounding streets. I was leaving when two large groups were departing and it only took minutes for valet to have my car to be loaded and ready for me. I did not use the spa but my friend called for a last minute manicure. The spa did not have any openings but they recommended someplace nearby that was great and provided directions. Exceptional all the way around.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Elisa D, Front Office Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience with us. We are incredibly pleased to hear you were happy with the service you received in all areas and that you found we are truly delighted to serve.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you in the future.

Texas
1,499 helpful votes 1,499 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and I spent five nights in the Mansion of Forsyth Park in Savannah; our stay was nothing short of excellent. The rooms are large, well appointed, and clean. Our particular room - 403 on the Concierge Floor - has a large bathtub and a separate shower. Everyone with whom we came into contact were friendly and possessed an attitude of service. Everyone on the hotel staff proved to be helpful and cheerful. And the restaurant - 700 Drayton - provides a wonderful dining experience. This restaurant, located in the original mansion, offers superb food and service; it was so good that my wife and I dined there on two occasions, once on Thanksgiving evening where a special menu was in place, and again on Monday evening using the regular menu. The selections were many and will satisfy almost ny appetite. If I were to offer any criticism at all about the hotel, it would be that there is a fee to use wifi; many hotels are now providing this service for free.

Room Tip: Room 403, on the concierge floor, was excellent and was just a couple of doors away from the Concier...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent experience with us and for choosing The Mansion on Forsyth Park to spend your Thanksgiving holiday. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your room and our restaurant, 700 Drayton.

We hope you will choose us when you travel to Savannah again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

In Savannah on business. This is 4th time I've stayed at property, and sadly each time not as good as first.

Check in was fine and due to my Marriott level, upgraded to Club floor. Room was nice and clean as usual. Had a beer in bar area for the first time and was really surprised by excessive price. It was exactly what I'd paid two weeks before in downtown Miami. I expect that surcharge in Miami but not Savannah!

Had a nice dinner in restaurant and noticed the same beer cost less than in bar. Go figure. Anyway, had a good nights sleep and went for breakfast in Club. Not anywhere up to par versus run of mill Marriott's. Just seems with each stay the Club experience goes further south.

But, the worst was yet to come. Checked out and went to car and found it had been vandalized. I had parked right beside hotel and very disappointed to learn they have no cameras except in front and rear of hotel. So, if you do not use their valet service, your property is definitely at risk and not much sympathy from staff.

Overall, just disappointed as I want to like this place so much.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay with us. Although we were pleased to hear that you stay with us regularly when in Savannah, we sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations in our Concierge Lounge. We welcome your feedback and are interested in any suggestions you could give on what you would like to see in the lounge. I was sorry to learn that your car was vandalized during your time here. I have sent you a personal message to discuss how we may improve your next experience with us. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Elisa Dickerson

Been to Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!