“Gorgeous hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Toronto, Canada
“Gorgeous hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were looking for a nice couples getaway and this was the right choice for hotel. Its in the quieter part of Savannah with a shuttle every 30 minutes to take you to the busier, noiser Historic District.
We could wake up and cross the street to old fort for Starbucks to sit and enjoy at Forsyth park and then make our way to wahtever tourist attractions we had in mind.
The rooms are lovely and renovated but they kept the old victoria feel to them.
The pool is smaller but does the trick. The bartender was great. There were usually afternoon cookies and juice but the receiption and fresh fruit to take.
We ate at their restaurant for a breakfast and a dinner and enjoyed both thoroughly!

Room Tip: We were over looking the pool and was nice to be on the ground (no elevator)but one early morning th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Mansion over Labor Day weekend after finding a stunner of a package online. Our package included a couples massage, breakfast and dinner at the adjoining restaurant, 700 Drayton all for a fabulous price. The concierge was extremely helpful (and persistent since we ended up playing phone tag for a few days!) coordinating our stay and activities. We loved our room (second floor, park view) and feel that is could have only been improved by a move to a higher floor to provide a better view. The bathroom set up is eclectic, with a large bath tub and open floor plan into the main sleeping area. There are curtains to pull close, but just keep in mind if you prefer more privacy.

Our breakfasts at 700 Drayton were some of our favorite culinary experiences while in Savannah! I tried something different everyday including the best pancakes I’ve ever had. Additionally, we had dinner there on a Saturday night. The food was delicious, the waiter was attentive and the wine was plentiful! It’s a gorgeous restaurant in the original mansion, so even if you are not eating there, go over and check it out in the morning. The staff was more than accommodating to let me poke around. There’s a bar upstairs in addition to the bar in the hotel itself.

Our massages were uber -relaxing and we thoroughly enjoyed the small but cozy spa.

Some may feel that the location is too far outside of the happening riverside area, but for my husband and I (thirty-somethings), it was the perfect distance to be close to the action, but far enough away to relax. Every morning, we departed the hotel lobby, turned right and took Bull St. straight to the attractions that we wanted to see. It’s a gorgeous walk and was full of sightseeing in the late summer. At the end of the night, of if you want to start your day at the river, the Mansion runs a shuttle between their sister property, the Bohemian, which is located on the river. Just a note, you usually need to request a shuttle run as it doesn’t seem to run quite to a schedule.

The pool is great-looking but too small to be of much use. There are only about 8 lounge chairs and they fill up quick. It was still nice to lounge for a bit in the afternoon after a busy day of seeing the town.

A tip for getting to/from airport: We did not rent a car and were very glad we could skip the hassle and costs for car/parking/gas. We took the K-Shuttle which is a newer town car type of service available near the car rental counters at the airport. We arranged for private roundtrip service for less than the cost of a cab (2 people)! Drivers were courteous and on-time.

All-in-all, we loved the Mansion and would absolutely come back. The service was excellent and the property is gorgeous.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and it's hard to see much past the trees in front of the window.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brunswick, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Having had the opportunity to have stayed in Inverlochy in Scotland, Danglaterre in Copenhagen and Daneli in Venice The Mansion is now my first 6star hotel. I was absolutely astounded with wherever my eyes fell. From the entry and the back lit stunning onyx to the columns and the art work. I did like the original furniture in the bar and wish it would return. However, the service, the food at the restaurant, the corner room. we had and views is the park were wonderful.It is the artwork that you fall in love with. The ambience from entry to exit loved every second.
Kessler does a magnificent job.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the corner facing the park with sofa. I do not know if they are all as spacious an...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We checked in after a long day and at 2 am the fire alarm went off.  The asked everyone to wait outside while the fire department comes (here is the video of all guests outside at 3 am http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmWpeyZgyR0).  I understand fire alarms can go off, but there was no communication by the hotel.  They just threw everyone out and bathrobes for an hour without any communication.  Then the fire department arrived and gave the ok to go back around 3 am.  They then had a faulty alarm, meaning false alarms continually going off until 4 am.  I called to speak to the general manager, Mr Kelly, in the morning he said it was a minor inconvenience and all he would do is give us a free breakfast.

It didn't end here, the sheets were very old and the elastic was worn.  Therefore, every night the sheets would slide off the mattress and we would wake up on the mattress (neither of us has this ever happened to).  We asked the maid to change the sheets and explained this situation. She said "honey, the sheets are too old, there is nothing we can do".  To make maters worse the mattress was gross.

The final straw was our toilet ran all night. We tried to have it fixed, but no one did anything.

On a positive note, the valets and cleaning staff was very pleasant and helpful.  The cookies were also tasty.

Stayed September 2012
GulfVino
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Service is excellent. Room great for sleeping and work. Friendly bar tenders. Front desk very helpful. Parking very easy. Food at the adjoining restaurant is excellent. I would recommend the hotel for any type of stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking a pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sausalito, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Lovely, quiet, park view. The artwork alone is a reson to stay, but the bed is amazing. The big tub fills quickly and stays hot for complete relaxation! Pleasant knowledgeable staff. We never want to leave.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I visited savannah for my daughters 21st birthday. She is a student at SCAD. I wanted her to spend the week with me in a very nice hotel so we could have some Mom/daughter time, and some luxury spa treatments as part of her birthday present. I chose the Mansion on Forsyth as I was told it was one of the top hotels in Savannah. My expectation- from the reputation of the hotel, the price and the wording on the official hotel website that describes itself s having "Southern luxury, pampering, world-class service" - was very high and I assumed this to be a 5+ star hotel.

I was disappointed from the very moment we arrived. 5 star hotels do not expect guests to unload and carry their own luggage in, while two or more hotel valets are standing watching them. The staff at the front desk were uninterested during check in, did not offer directions to the room and were quite abrupt when I asked, and there was no offer of having any luggage taken to the room for us. The door key did not work so I had to go back to the lobby to sort that out. We were told that the room key was necessary for the lift to work. It was not- and as most guests we saw did not use the room key in the lift - it is amazing that the hotel still assumed their security worked. I was given so much conflicting information that I gave up asking for help from guest services. I requested some tape- a staple behind every hotel desk?- to seal an envelope. Guest services told me to come back the next morning when the engineering department were open. Really? I did go back to the desk the next morning, where the staff whipped a tape dispenser out from under the counter for me to use. I asked about dry cleaning and was told I had missed the pick up for that day but to come to the front desk and leave it there for the next pickup. I went to the front desk where the staff just stared at me and said there was nowhere to leave the dry cleaning with them. When the clothes came back from the dry cleaners I rang the front desk 3 times and was told 3 times my dry cleaning would be delivered to the room. Eventually, after a couple of hours, my daughter went to the lobby and fetched it herself. Our overall experience was not good. I found the staff rude and snooty, some of the valets were really nice but the others were rude and I don't think I saw one of them smile the whole week we were there. One of them even made a snide comment as I walked through the front doors one day. I was shocked and thought Nooo, that could not have been directed at me. I turned around and he was staring at me through the glass door...and continued to just stare at me. Again really? Unfortunately this appalling customer service and attitude, that seemed spread across the entire hotel, ruined the stay for us. There were exceptions. The treatments at the spa were great and the staff there very nice. The room service staff, I think from the restaurant, were exceptionally nice as well.

I will never return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked air-conditioning units because I asked for a room with 2 beds. That was the expl...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!