“Inconsistent” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #228 of 774 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Steakhouse, Family Fare
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Description: For over 90 years, Johnny Harris Restaurant has been a staple of Historic Savannah dining. Three public dining rooms: the "Kitchen", the "Ballroom" with high starlit ceiling, and the Maple Room Tavern all provide an eclectic atmosphere for your dining enjoyment. The signature BBQ sauces are a great compliment to the famous pit-smoked items, and the secret recipe fried chicken is not to be missed. Family ownership gives this restaurant an intimate feel despite it's size, and the restaurant cookbook, penned by Julie D. Lowenthal, is a must take home keepsake. Private dining room bookings are available as well as adjacent banquet facilities with seating up to 200.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Our first experience here about a couple months ago was good, we sat in the larger circular ballroom, our server was great, frequently checked up on us, my cosmopolitan was great, but the dirty martini not so much. The food was okay, but overpriced with what was given.

My boyfriend and I wanted to give it another try tonight. We were not allowed to dine in the ballroom area this time. Instead we sat in the lounge/ bar setting. I was craving fried green tomatoes and they were good, I loved the pimento cheese it was served with. My boyfriend got the fried chicken with turnip greens and I got the crab au gratin. Our server took at least 10 minutes to refill drinks, and the servers assistant looked at our empty glasses several times before we got our refills. The manager seemed more interested in chewing out his employees which probably accounted for the lack of service. He did not check on our table once, but checked on two other tables around us. The crab au gratin was basically melted cheddar cheese and half a can of crab meat with multiple shells in the meat. For 18 dollars, I expected much better. The chicken was probably the only good thing there. The presentation of the food was poor. Johnny Harris needs to get out of the 1940's and catch up with the times.
If you do eat here, I would recommend coming in the daytime where you can sit in the actual restaurant and have a competent manager.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Augusta, Georgia
“Better cooks than scammers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The food was very tasty and the server was fun, but the accounting was terrible. Our bill included two items we didn't order and a $5 surcharge for having lamb with the platter. While the former were ultimately removed, the latter wasn't, despite there being no mention of it on the menu. Tacky.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Milton, Delaware
“Dinner at the Banquet Center”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Went to a dinner at the Banquet Center with s Tour Group. Food was cold. It was worse than the worst wedding food I have ever had. Chicken was undercooked on the dark meat and overcooked on the white meat. Rice was dry, green beans were gray and fish had no flavor. Even the servers were apathetic. Not even sure what the dessert was supposed to be. I would never go back again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Tybee Island, Ga
“Best Fried Chicken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Recently dined at Johnny Harris Restaurant on Victory Drive. They have, by far, the best friend chicken I have ever eaten. Provided is their heated barbeque sause. I am never surprised. Everything on their menu is GREAT. I have been dining there for over 25 years. I highly recommend Johnny Harris Restaurant in Savannah.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Need to Visit This Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is the oldest continuous restaurant in Savannah.

They have a copy of their 1939 menu, with the prices back then.

The service was very good and as fast or slow as the mood suites you.

There are three eating areas. We recommend the lounge area because the main dinning area is very large and noisey.

The steaks we had were cook to perfection and the house salad was good and different. I had the blue cheese dressing and it was full of blue cheese.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere