“Delicious!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 17 Hundred 90 Restaurant

17 Hundred 90 Restaurant
307 East President Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)
912 236 7122
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
17 Hundred 90 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 772 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Continental, Bar
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Lincoln
Description: Named for the year it was constructed, 17Hundred90 provides a dining experience without equal in a historic city which prides itself in showering visitors in the unhurried luxury and service of times gone by. A living time capsule of America's earliest decades, 17Hundred90 captures the authentic flavor of an eighteenth century river port hotel and restaurant while working diligently to provide wonderful new memories for our guests.
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

During our stay in Savannah we stayed at the 17 Hundred 90 Inn so we had to try the restaurant before we left. Our service was great. I had the special of the day and a cup of their Crab Stew. The soup was very good! The special was tilapia with some vegetables and risotto. The asparagus was great, the fish was good, but the risotto was just ok. Overall it was a great atmosphere and a great experience.

Visited June 2013

Monroe, ga
“Save Your Money and Your Time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to like this historic restaurant. It's big on atmosphere and has been consistently rated well. Old building, tucked away in a nice Savannah square, replete with ghost stories, live piano/vocal entertainment.... Ultimately, we found the ambiance quite special -- the food just OK -- and the service terrible. One can do just as well at a dozen or more similar restaurants in Historic Downtown Savannah.

We arrived ten minutes early for an 8:00 dinner reservation and were offered to wait in the lounge as the table hadn't opened up. The drinks and service in the bar were made to order and served timely. We weren't seated until a full thirty minutes after arrival, however. And our drink order at the table didn't arrive until fifty-two minutes after our reservation time because "a large tour group got ahead of your order in the bar" -- apparently restaurant guests have no priority over ghost tour groupies?

The food was OK, but again...nothing one can't find at similar restaurants all over town. I did enjoy the soup du jour -- really the only unique item on the menu (a watermelon gazpacho that hit the spot on a hot day). But the pacing at which the two courses were delivered dragged unnecessarily long...most of the time we only had water glasses sitting on our table.

The kicker came when our server made no less than THREE attempts to get our bill correct. He first charged us with an adjacent table's ticket. He then reversed that charge, and brought us another ticket which included all sorts of food we didn't order at all. The third time involved the shift manager to sort things out, and we left with a collection of receipts for charges and reversals that took an extra twenty-five minutes and a great deal of headache we'll have to make sense of on our credit card statement. We left the restaurant at 9:52 fed, but annoyed. The apologies for our trouble were weak and without any offer of a discount or compensation (which I somewhat expected at this point.)

I can't believe I still tipped the guy after all of that.

I won't be back. And you shouldn't either unless you just want to spend a longer evening and more money than necessary. The place is close to Leopold's Ice Cream on Broughton St., though...dessert on the stroll back to our hotel was at least a positive ending.

Visited June 2013
Gallatin, Tennessee
“Best meal of the trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stopped here on the recommendation of our tour guide, and I'm so glad we did! The atmosphere is very quiet and romantic. We actually saw a few families with children, but if I had not seen then I wouldn't have guessed they were even there! Our waiter was attentive and professional without being pretentious. My husband loved the salmon. I had the shrimp and grits appetizer and thought it was excellent! Do NOT skip dessert! The chocolate flourless cake and the pecan pie were both superb!

Adams, Tennessee
“Biscuits to die for, but....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We made reservations at 1890 for Saturday, June 8th, 2013, our 50th anniversary. I simply fell in love with the whole experience, the feel of the place, the wonderful meal I had, the truly fine service, but oh the biscuits, yes, they were to die for. My meal of salmon was delicious. My husband had the jambalaya, he said it was okay, but sort of "bland", which seemed surprising for a Savannah meal, this city likes it spicy. Yes, he also loved the biscuits... We asked for a to go bag for my salmon (our B&B had a frig in the room) and our extremely attentive server assured us he would put a few biscuits with it. For me, hands down, the best and the most romantic meal to remember Savannah. When we opened the box the next day we were surprised to find a big piece of bread pudding in it, I am sure whoever got our salmon and biscuits was not happy either. Actually, no big deal for us, but it would be good if the server can take a second to make sure the to go item goes to the right people or it might be a complete waste of food, I am sure my half eaten salmon ended up in the trash. And no biscuits!!! I wonder if there is any hope 1790 would share the recipe??? Fat chance, right???? Gabriele and Bob Wardeiner

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Savannah, Georgia
“Steven is AWESOME!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have lived in Savannah for about 5 years. This is my boyfriend and I's favorite place to go. We bring everyone we know here when they are in town to visit, so naturally this has become our families favorite place to eat! The first reason being the service. We met Steven a few years ago. He is absolutely the most caring, perfect waiter there is! He greets you with a smile every time you visit and he has the best attitude of anyone I have met in Savannah thus far. His professionalism is well above the standard for most. I cannot say enough fabulous things about him! If you go here, you must ask for him!! You will not be sorry! In fact, you will want to visit just to see him- we do! Secondly, the food is phenomenal. You really can not go wrong with any item on the menu. The wait staff and the manager Patrick are fabulous as well! If you are ever in town, you must visit and here! Best place in Savannah, hands down.

• Visited June 2013