“Be advised” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Ellis Square

You added Inn at Ellis Square to your Saves list
Inn at Ellis Square
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   201 West Bay Street, Historic District, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #61 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Atlanta
“Be advised”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Stayed three nights with my wife and her cousin's son (who is visiting from Brazil). Got a good rate on a executive suite, which would give us all some privacy. Unfortunately, upon arrival we were told the hotel was overbooked and the room we requested would not be available the first night. Got a standard double instead.

They offered to refund the difference ($30), and I pushed to get free parking for the stay (otherwise $10/day). So, it was basically like getting bumped from a flight: remuneration for the inconvenience. Not a total loss, but not the experience for which I paid originally.

Having seen both types of rooms, be advised that the standard rooms are in the "old" section of the building. They are run down and small. Furniture is crammed in helter-skelter, making it hard to move. The suites are in the "new" section of the building and are well-appointed. (There are also two separate elevator systems, one for each section, making for a weird experience until you figure out what is going on...)

The website gives you the impression this is a posh and refined hotel, full of southern charm, but it has definitely seen its better days. The location is its biggest asset.

If you get a good price and are willing to put up with the general mismanagement of the hotel, you'll be fine. However, it gives every appearance of being an establishment in decline, so there is a time stamp on that assessment. Too many other options in Savannah. We'll be staying somewhere else next time we visit.

• Stayed August 2010
INNATELLISSQUARE, Manager at Inn at Ellis Square, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
Dear Yarcimsoc,

We a delighted that you spent 3 nights at our Inn. i apologize for the inconveniences with your initial reservations. I'm glad that my staff were responsible and made the necessary changes to get you settled. We are very proud of our facility, but we are never satisfied. We are always looking to improve in all areas of our guest rooms and our customer service. I hope that you will trust our commitment to providing a clean and affordable accommodations. We hoe that we have the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Anthony Trice
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Hollywood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

The Inn at Ellis Square is a Historic Hotel. Very nice looking from the outside and not bad on the inside either. Restored to it's former self.
The service wasn't the greatest though, had to get our own hotel dolly upon check in and I did witness a woman slip in a puddle of water caused by someone bringing up an open cooler to their room. It all happened so fast but the woman wasn't seriously injured or anything like that, just upset.
The hotel staff then cleaned up the puddle of water, pronto! This worried me a tad as I was just checking into the hotel.
When we arrived at our room it was clean yet seemed a bit small, but it was cozy.
We were right in the middle of the Historic District.
Parking was fine as the hotel had a parking lot which was a big plus.
It was a bit noisy from the outside traffic but not too bad.
We could walk to where we wanted to eat/sightsee.
We just spent just one night here at this hotel but it was a decent stop, the beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean.
We did have to get our own dolly (which were scarce) upon check-out by ourselves once again, but we didn't feel like waiting around for one.
Quicker to get it on our own.
All in all I would recommend this hotel to any traveller wanting to explore the Historic side of Savannah.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

I really enjoyed my experience at the Inn at Ellis Square. Great location,and excellent customer service. This hotel is very convient and in walking distance to all of the attractions. You can just park your car and walk everywhere!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
INNATELLISSQUARE, Manager at Inn at Ellis Square, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Dear sonyagwalker,

Thank you for choosing our facility over the many other hotels in the downtown area. We are proud of our great location and as long as we continue to offer excellent customer service, we will set the standard in this industry. We hope that your future plans to visit Savannah will include a stop by our hotel.

Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Husband and I went for a family reunion. Hotel room smelled like mildew. It was old, not updated, and funky. Customer service could not find reservations for some of the family members, did not go over well. Great location, need updating. Won't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear SGSMac,

I believe your group's arrival fell just after a horrible system crash, where we lost a tremendous amount of information.We were trying to learn a new system on the fly, while trying to recover as much data as possible from our old system. I think our staff worked tirelessly to try to re-group and accommodate everyone during such a tough experience. I apologize if we failed in exhibiting superb levels of service during this period.

Also, it is our goal to continue to upgrade our facility and upgrading will never stop. We think we have a wonderful hotel package as it is, but there is always something to improve on. I hope that you will reconsider and visit us again in the future, as we are updating constantly.

Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We got this room for $88 / night plus tax and parking fees. The only place I could find comparable to this in price was the Thunderbird Inn. We chose the Inn @ Ellis Square over the Thunderbird because the location seemed better and it had a pool. Fortunately, I think we made a good choice in terms of location. We were just right across the street from River Street and the restaurants we wanted to try were all within a short walk.

Unfortunately, we were not able to enjoy the pool while we were there because it was very dirty the entire time. I'm not sure why. We didn't see anyone else in the pool while we were there, and there didn't appear to be a sign saying it was closed or offering an explanation for its condition.

Check in went smoothly and quickly, though our keys did not work and we had to come back down to have that fixed. Our room was small, but well decorated. It was relatively clean, but not spotless. Our closet door didn't work, but that wasn't a major issue for us. More of an issue was the air conditioner. It worked, but it never got quite cool enough for us. We had it going full blast, but the temperature felt like it was in the upper seventies the whole time we were there. Fortunately, we didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room, and in fairness, we were on the top floor and I know it's always hotter the higher up you are.

The bathroom was spacious and we really enjoyed the rain showerhead. The lobby and other common areas of the inn were beautiful and made you feel like you were in a swankier place than a Days Inn. Breakfast was decent. They have a DIY waffle maker and the standard continental breakfast fare. The morning I ate they also had scrambled eggs, biscuits, and a fair amount of fruit. The second morning they also had sausage.

All of the staff that we encountered were very helpful and friendly, and they have a concierge to assist you with tours, restaurants, etc.

All in all, it wasn't a bad experience. We would stay here again if we were on a budget, but not if money were less of an issue.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear TennesseeFoodie,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.I'am glad that you chose to stay with us, as it's our goal to be able to offer a clean, well kept accommodation, at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, we experienced a broken pool pump during your visit and our pool was closed. I'am delighted to say that it is repaired and our pool is back in full operation. We are always working hard to meet and exceed your expectations and we hope to see you again soon.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

This hotel is located close to the Riverwalk, right next to the City Market and smack in the middle of the historic district. I chose this hotel because I thought I made a reservation at the Marriott (which I did not) and this was the only availablity on that Saturday evening. I did get a King suite for my family of 4...which was a corner room with a view of the drag queen club down the street (which was ok with me but it was the patrons who had one to many drinks and were soooo loud). Our room was on the 4th floor and I thought I was staying on Bourbon St as it was sooooo noisy. Very difficult to sleep. The room itself was old and kinda dingy w/ a smokey smell (although it non-smoking room). They have a small pool right next to the alley/driveway to the hotel entrace. This hotel was clean and decent but it needs a facelift desparately. Priced kind of high for this type of 2 star hotel.

They serve complimentary breakfast in the morning w/ dumplings w/ gravy, waffles, cereals and other cold foods or pastries. It was ok.

The front desk staff & concierge was nice and helpful, The parking was lacking w/ a small garage and a fee of $10. No valet park or bellman. Soooo many people coming in and out just tooooo busy for such a small hotel. Only stayed one night and wished I had stayed at the AVIA right across the street. Maybe next time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dear juicygirlfruit,

I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts on our facility. I'm sorry that your stay was interrupted by the noise from the street level. I' still hoping that on day our local city official will assist all the downtown hotels with this during special events. I also want to point out that our hotel is committed to putting funds back into the upkeep of our property. We have many new changes in the works, as we will always work to improve. We hope we have the opportunity to better serve you in the near future..

Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Upon check-in I was informed that the King Suite I had reserved was not availabe and that the hotel only had Standard Rooms available. Bottom line was, the room wasn't ready and it was after 5:00pm when I checked in. The check-in time for this hotel not until 4:00pm and the check out time is 11:00 am, so why wasn't the room ready? I waited a few more minutes for the room to be ready and I ened up getting the LAST KING SUITE and there were people in line behind me that had reserved a King Suite also. Oh, and did I mention that I am a Wyndham Rewards member. You would have thought that would have counted for something. You have to pay $10.00 for the parking garage, which is next to the hotel, but there were'nt any parking spaces available in the garage or on the street next to the hotel. We ended up parking in the garage on a ramp. It seemed as if the entire staff had a chip on their shoulder. As if they weren't happy working there and they were only there for a paycheck. They acted as if they couldn't be bothered. This includes the front desk staff, the bartender at the bar in the lobby and the breakfast staff. Luckily my friends and I were only staying one night. This hotel advertise itself as "The Grand Lady On Bay Street" There's nothing Grand about it. You can get better customer service at Publix.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dear LetsGo5brats,

Thank you for your review. I have sent you a request to provide more information regarding your reservations, so that I may find our what went wrong. It seems like we failed to present you with the kind of service that we all have come to expect in this industry. I will share your posting with all of my staff, so that we are all working out of the same customer service book. I hope that you know that we pride our selves on service and we will address the gaps in service that you experienced.

Hotel Manager

Been to Inn at Ellis Square? Share your experiences!