“A reservations nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
Macon, Georgia
“A reservations nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Apparently this place has no direct phone line because I went thru about 3 different numbers trying to make a reservation, including one that tried to stick on a NONrefundable $15 booking fee. After I read the reviews I tried to cancel the reservation. None of the numbers listed give you the option of canceling on their endless phone trees. I got the direct line number from one of the "customer no-service" people. When I called that number, a sleepy unhelpful voice said the computers are down but she can't cancel the reservation anyway. I need to go back to whoever made it for me !! According to my iphone call record, I wasted about 45 minutes of my life on this dreadful place. Holiday Inn here I come!

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Tracie M, General Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
We would like to appologise for your recent experience with your reservation. and if you would like to make any future reservations please feel free to contact us direct.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
St. Marys, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Don't Go to this hotel unless you don’t care about your health & want to sleep with bugs. The room was not clean; the chair was covered in mold & under the table so we didn’t notice until days later – highly unsanitary. We were bitten severely by bugs that came out in the night. My daughter had to be taken to the emergency room due to the bites becoming infected. Now we have to pay a huge medical bill plus prescriptions andThe staff has an I don’t care attitude and try to claim there were no bugs & that their rooms are clean. See Pictures below. The maids give you one towel & one wash cloth for 2 people and those they give you are stained because they are not properly cleaned. The floors were sticky and their ad shows a full size refrigerator but instead you get a lop sided mini one that even when turned on high barely works. There is a bar next door that is very loud on weekends and other hotel patrons are loud & drunk so you get very little sleep. The place needs to be condemned.

We had to spend hours Washing our clothes over that had been washed before leaving even though most didn't even get worn in order not to bring these bugs into our home. The other things are still in the car hoping the care heat in the intense sun will kill anything that might have been brought back with us before we have to fumigate the vehicle.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tracie M, Guest Relations Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us .I would like to appologise for any inconvience that you experienced on your recent stay with us .
The necessary departments have been contacted and made aware of the issues that you addressed .We hope that we will have the opportunity to be of service to you again.
Pensacola, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I really wasn't expecting much, but it blew away my expectations, even low as they were. First they gave me a room that was already occupied. When they found out they apologized and gave me a different room. There was a kitchenette but not so much as a closet rod. I had to hang my freshly-dry-cleaned pants off the bathroom door handle.

The shower was handicap accessible so it was more like a shower corner - with no shower curtain and barely anything to keep water from making puddles outside of the shower (which it did). The handheld shower head didn't even have a clip to put it in, so when I wasn't holding it I had to awkwardly hang it from the shower knob or safety rail (which also contributed to the puddles on the floor). The towels were tiny. Had I been a bigger person or had someone else been with me, the two "big" towels they gave me would not have been enough - especially since I had to mop up the floor to keep from slipping. And while everything was generally clean enough (I will say that the toilet and sink were quite clean), the towel I used on the puddles definitely came up dirty.

The room was sparse. The chest of drawers was tiny, so again, if there had been an additional occupant, it may not have sufficed. There was an overhead light but no additional lamps and no clock. The bed, of course, was uncomfortable, but I was expecting that. The furniture was not very nice but still functional. The A/C worked fine, though I will note that the A/C units in the rooms next to me kept making large puddles on the ground outside.

When I tried to go to sleep that night around midnight, I realized I couldn't, because there seemed to be an elephant dropping bowling balls on my ceiling well past 3:30 in the morning. And I'm not just talking about the standard muffled sounds of footsteps. It sounded like someone was beating the floor above me with a baseball bat. I tried to call the front desk but got the answering machine. I didn't want to confront the people above me for a number of reasons, which I won't go into here. So when 4 a.m. rolled around and the noise showed no signs of lessening, I decided to just leave. I had a long drive to make so I figured if I was going to be stuck awake I might as well make good time. As I was packing, I found a roach crawling on the table. I went to the office to turn in my keys and notify them of the noise and the roach, come to find out that the office is closed after hours. So I went back to just leave the keys in the room, but my keys didn't work. I'm so glad I got all my stuff out beforehand - due to the fact that I was now locked out of a room I'd paid for, and with absolutely no one at the front desk for who knows how long. (I think there might have been a number for emergencies by the office door but at this point I just wanted to leave so badly I didn't check - but still, what if I had left my phone in the room? I'd have been really screwed). I wedged the keys in the door and left.

The noise can't *necessarily* be faulted to the establishment, and in their defense, everything in my room, though perhaps not pretty, was still functional (The room doesn't look as nice as the pictures). However, the little things kept adding up, and though I was actually willing to just deal with most of it, all of that plus the fact that there was no one at the front desk to help me when I needed it (especially when I could have been locked out of my room) really upsets me. Please don't stay here, your hard-earned money will be wasted.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review . i would like to apologise for any inconvience that you experienced on your recent stay with us. I would really like to discuss your recent stay.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Went on-line looked around for a Hotel close to Savannah and Tybee Island for a Family Vacation. Booked 2 rooms for 3 nights there. On arriving at Hotel after a 7 hour drive with two kids ages 5 and 9 they were ready to get out. First room was already occupied so we had to be moved and what we went into was not what we seen on the web site! It was nasty, dark looking and smelled like bug spray mixed with mold and mildew small beds and small walk in shower along with a nasty small fridge. My daughter found out a lady had just been moved from her room due to mildew being in the carpet!! It took us an hour and half to get a refund. I have been in cleaner nicer rooms for the same price not looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel just one that is not like this one!!!! Stay at your risk and if your happy with nasty, dirty and the horrible smell then go for it. But I would never recommend this one to any one

Room Tip: For a good room stay some where else not here that's my tip!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. we do apologise for any inconvience that you had .on your recent visit with us and are hopeful that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your next stay in savannah.
Cartersville, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We booked online, and I never read the reviews-something I will never do again. The lady at the front desk was rude, like we were interrupting her or something. We arrived earlier than expected, and asked if we could check in early. She asked our name and said our room wasn't ready yet. So I asked her what floor we were on, she said she didn't know yet. Then how do you know our room isn't ready???? Then, there were 2 shabby bath towels, no washcloths, no handtowels, and TP so thin, you had to triple it to make it equal to the cheap stuff at Walmart! No sheets on the pullout bed, and my son slept on PLASTIC!!! I witnessed a drug deal within 2 hours of being there, then later that night, cops were crawling all over the place. The night security guard and the janitor/groundsman guy were SUPER nice. Both front desk people we encountered were rude and acted like we OWE it to them to stay there.
That's about all I can say about it. NEVER AGAIN!!
And to the MGR/OWNER: Don't bother writing an apology rebuttal to this, as you have done to several others. They all sound the same, and you NEVER offer any refunds, so why bother? You obviously DON'T care, or this wouldn't still be happening!!!! Clean up your place, spend a little money, get rid of the rifraff, and hire some friendly people, will ya?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to do a review i would like to discuss the problems that you had on your recent stay with us .So if you would call the hotel i would be happy to speak with you .
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We're not hotel/motel snobs- we don't stay in the room for long during a trip so 5 star hotel would be a waste of money. We're short-trip veterans AKA cheap motel connoisseurs. Savannah Suites is an apartmotel- rooms rented daily/weekly- people live here. The location was perfect for where we wanted to be, the room was clean be it very basic and dated. No hair dryers/ironing board. There was a funky smell for sure. But....like I said, if you spend more time out & about than in the room, just need to be able to shower and sleep, then it's just fine. I'd stay here again. I'm also familiar with Savannah and most people consider every neighborhood outside of the Garden District/Downtown area to be a 'bad' neighborhood. Not so much- it's called a city. And any city once you exit the tourist draw loses it's luster. So- if you are used to Hampton/Hilton/Holiday Inn, this is NOT the place for you. Otherwise, it'll do.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tracie M, Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
we would like to thank you for taking, the time to review our hotel.We would like to thank you for staying with us .and hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

This is the worst motel I have ever seen. It's dirty, the linens are cheap, the beds uncomfortable, the pillows flat. You have to let them hold your driver's license to use the hair dryer. Cleaning service didn't clean our bathroom and left stained, dirty towels. We had 4 people in our room and they only left 2 towels.

• Stayed April 2012
Tracie M, General Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to do a review for our hotel . we would like to appologize for any inconvience that you encountered on your recent stay with us . our goal is to provide clean and
confortable rooms to all our guest .Management has gotten with the necessary departments
to take care of the issues you encountered during your stay. Thank you for your patronage.

Been to Savannah Suites? Share your experiences!