“Worst night ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #108 of 111 hotels in Savannah
Pensacola, Florida
“Worst night ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I really wasn't expecting much, but it blew away my expectations, even low as they were. First they gave me a room that was already occupied. When they found out they apologized and gave me a different room. There was a kitchenette but not so much as a closet rod. I had to hang my freshly-dry-cleaned pants off the bathroom door handle.

The shower was handicap accessible so it was more like a shower corner - with no shower curtain and barely anything to keep water from making puddles outside of the shower (which it did). The handheld shower head didn't even have a clip to put it in, so when I wasn't holding it I had to awkwardly hang it from the shower knob or safety rail (which also contributed to the puddles on the floor). The towels were tiny. Had I been a bigger person or had someone else been with me, the two "big" towels they gave me would not have been enough - especially since I had to mop up the floor to keep from slipping. And while everything was generally clean enough (I will say that the toilet and sink were quite clean), the towel I used on the puddles definitely came up dirty.

The room was sparse. The chest of drawers was tiny, so again, if there had been an additional occupant, it may not have sufficed. There was an overhead light but no additional lamps and no clock. The bed, of course, was uncomfortable, but I was expecting that. The furniture was not very nice but still functional. The A/C worked fine, though I will note that the A/C units in the rooms next to me kept making large puddles on the ground outside.

When I tried to go to sleep that night around midnight, I realized I couldn't, because there seemed to be an elephant dropping bowling balls on my ceiling well past 3:30 in the morning. And I'm not just talking about the standard muffled sounds of footsteps. It sounded like someone was beating the floor above me with a baseball bat. I tried to call the front desk but got the answering machine. I didn't want to confront the people above me for a number of reasons, which I won't go into here. So when 4 a.m. rolled around and the noise showed no signs of lessening, I decided to just leave. I had a long drive to make so I figured if I was going to be stuck awake I might as well make good time. As I was packing, I found a roach crawling on the table. I went to the office to turn in my keys and notify them of the noise and the roach, come to find out that the office is closed after hours. So I went back to just leave the keys in the room, but my keys didn't work. I'm so glad I got all my stuff out beforehand - due to the fact that I was now locked out of a room I'd paid for, and with absolutely no one at the front desk for who knows how long. (I think there might have been a number for emergencies by the office door but at this point I just wanted to leave so badly I didn't check - but still, what if I had left my phone in the room? I'd have been really screwed). I wedged the keys in the door and left.

The noise can't *necessarily* be faulted to the establishment, and in their defense, everything in my room, though perhaps not pretty, was still functional (The room doesn't look as nice as the pictures). However, the little things kept adding up, and though I was actually willing to just deal with most of it, all of that plus the fact that there was no one at the front desk to help me when I needed it (especially when I could have been locked out of my room) really upsets me. Please don't stay here, your hard-earned money will be wasted.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review . i would like to apologise for any inconvience that you experienced on your recent stay with us. I would really like to discuss your recent stay.

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Went on-line looked around for a Hotel close to Savannah and Tybee Island for a Family Vacation. Booked 2 rooms for 3 nights there. On arriving at Hotel after a 7 hour drive with two kids ages 5 and 9 they were ready to get out. First room was already occupied so we had to be moved and what we went into was not what we seen on the web site! It was nasty, dark looking and smelled like bug spray mixed with mold and mildew small beds and small walk in shower along with a nasty small fridge. My daughter found out a lady had just been moved from her room due to mildew being in the carpet!! It took us an hour and half to get a refund. I have been in cleaner nicer rooms for the same price not looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel just one that is not like this one!!!! Stay at your risk and if your happy with nasty, dirty and the horrible smell then go for it. But I would never recommend this one to any one

Room Tip: For a good room stay some where else not here that's my tip!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. we do apologise for any inconvience that you had .on your recent visit with us and are hopeful that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your next stay in savannah.
Cartersville, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We booked online, and I never read the reviews-something I will never do again. The lady at the front desk was rude, like we were interrupting her or something. We arrived earlier than expected, and asked if we could check in early. She asked our name and said our room wasn't ready yet. So I asked her what floor we were on, she said she didn't know yet. Then how do you know our room isn't ready???? Then, there were 2 shabby bath towels, no washcloths, no handtowels, and TP so thin, you had to triple it to make it equal to the cheap stuff at Walmart! No sheets on the pullout bed, and my son slept on PLASTIC!!! I witnessed a drug deal within 2 hours of being there, then later that night, cops were crawling all over the place. The night security guard and the janitor/groundsman guy were SUPER nice. Both front desk people we encountered were rude and acted like we OWE it to them to stay there.
That's about all I can say about it. NEVER AGAIN!!
And to the MGR/OWNER: Don't bother writing an apology rebuttal to this, as you have done to several others. They all sound the same, and you NEVER offer any refunds, so why bother? You obviously DON'T care, or this wouldn't still be happening!!!! Clean up your place, spend a little money, get rid of the rifraff, and hire some friendly people, will ya?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to do a review i would like to discuss the problems that you had on your recent stay with us .So if you would call the hotel i would be happy to speak with you .
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We're not hotel/motel snobs- we don't stay in the room for long during a trip so 5 star hotel would be a waste of money. We're short-trip veterans AKA cheap motel connoisseurs. Savannah Suites is an apartmotel- rooms rented daily/weekly- people live here. The location was perfect for where we wanted to be, the room was clean be it very basic and dated. No hair dryers/ironing board. There was a funky smell for sure. But....like I said, if you spend more time out & about than in the room, just need to be able to shower and sleep, then it's just fine. I'd stay here again. I'm also familiar with Savannah and most people consider every neighborhood outside of the Garden District/Downtown area to be a 'bad' neighborhood. Not so much- it's called a city. And any city once you exit the tourist draw loses it's luster. So- if you are used to Hampton/Hilton/Holiday Inn, this is NOT the place for you. Otherwise, it'll do.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Tracie M, Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
we would like to thank you for taking, the time to review our hotel.We would like to thank you for staying with us .and hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

This is the worst motel I have ever seen. It's dirty, the linens are cheap, the beds uncomfortable, the pillows flat. You have to let them hold your driver's license to use the hair dryer. Cleaning service didn't clean our bathroom and left stained, dirty towels. We had 4 people in our room and they only left 2 towels.

• Stayed April 2012
Tracie M, General Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to do a review for our hotel . we would like to appologize for any inconvience that you encountered on your recent stay with us . our goal is to provide clean and
confortable rooms to all our guest .Management has gotten with the necessary departments
to take care of the issues you encountered during your stay. Thank you for your patronage.
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

If you are:
...just looking for a "place to flop"
...mentally stimulated when finding a pre-loaded toilet
...a person with neither a sense of smell or hearing
...a person who carries their own tp, soap, shampoo
...entertained by scorned prostitues
...an avid entomologist who adores cockroaches

Then by golly this is the place for you!!
Otherwise, rebook someplace else...

Room Tip: Best roms are located in just about any other hotel including those low budget establishments in Ind...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Tracie M, General Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
First and foremost we would like to thank you for taking the time to do a review of your recent stay with us. secondly we would like to apologize, for any inconvience that you had while here at the hotel. It always our goal to provide a safe environment and clean room for all of our guest . We hope that you will give us another oportunity to service you in the future.
Walhalla, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I booked online and was very dissapointed. The first room, door would not shut all the way looked like it had been busted thru, toilet leaked all over floor, and fridge leaked. The second room atleast smelled a little better but all the same problems. The whole place needs to be tore down and rebuilt. The lady at the front desk when we checked in was very nice but could not get a refund due to a "third pary reservation". I witnessed drug deals and prostitutes walking around, leaving and coming back. Internet said we were like 10 minutes from beach. Wrong like 40 minutes is more like it. This was labor day weekend so no other hotels available. Should have read more reviews, not just watch vurtual tour. Pictures were right but add about a years worth of dust, muck, and nasty unclean smell. The smell reminds you of a litter box and rooms have fleas. Do not stay here unless you feel comfortable around a place like that.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
mrhchance, General Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
We certainly apologize for the experience that you encountered while staying at our Hotel. It is our Goal to ensure that all of our guests are satisfied before leaving our property, We would like to make things right for you, Please contact the GM at the property so that we can get this handled right away, Again I do Apologize and look forward to making things right.

Been to Savannah Suites? Share your experiences!