“Reach Motel” 1 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 West Montgomery Cross Rd., Savannah, GA 31406   |
Ranked #109 of 112 hotels in Savannah
“Reach Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011 via mobile

We booked this place from one of those expedia sites. BTW they really should investigate where they send people. The original hotel we were calling about was booked so they suggested this horrible place. It looked like prostitutes were walking around looking for their next victim. Nonetheless, we unloaded the car and got the kids and went to the room. When we opened the door my seven year old asked "what is that awful stench". We were more than ready to go but after a long day of travel we decided to make the best of it. As if the prostitute track in front of the place wasn't enough...the towels that were suppose to be clean had yellow and brown staining, the sheets and blanket had the same mystery staining. The red chair had some yellow Orange stains I guess they thought no one would notice. Get ready for this!!! We turned one of the lights out and the party began. It was Joe's apartment. That's right just like the movie the roaches where trying to figure out why we were in their home. We ended up leaving and staying at a nearby Marriott property.

• Stayed July 2011

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

This hotel has weekly rates so that means people live there...that means expect to hear noise above you and kids playing in the hall and breezeways.

We open the door to our room and are smacked in the face with the smell of musty wet carpet and something I've never smelled before. Although very polite, the woman @ the front desk was clearly annoyed and looked at me like I was being ridiculous. We switched rooms but it seems as though all the rooms had a faint weird smell.

The carpets were filthy and damp I think...there were four working channels on the tv, we didn't have bathroom tissue and no iron or ironing board.

If you're looking for a good deal this is your place but I wouldn't recommend it for anything else and certainly not for your family.

It's gross.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hampton, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

When we got there we had to find the hidden hotel it looked like a crack place because of it's location.We took our stuff in and left to go to the beach while waiting on my other family to get there.When we got back my son says come here mom let me show you my room we walked in and it was horrible smell I took my sandle of and felt the carpet it was soaken wet and smelled awful.So i went to the office the lady said all she can do is give them the 3rd floor I said not happeing 3 small babies with the age 4 and under so i asked for a refund and she said could not get it.So they stayed in the room with me we had 5 adults and 5 kids in a 2 bedroom took the blankets off the mattress was disguting the sheets where stained. So honestly i slept in my grandbabies pack n play that was the only thing in the room that santized.Luckly i'm a small enough adult thaat i could sleep in there.They had no paper cups they had glasses for you to drink out but who and there right mind would use them.Never ever again stay there.I would have wheter stay in my car than there.Plus on line it was suppose to be only 10 mintues away from the beach and it took us 30 to 35 mintues to get there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

My boyfriend and I had the misfortune of booking a hotel through a certain website that won't give the hotel name till after you book, taking a chance because they'd never screwed us over before. Somehow we ended up with Savannah Suites, and they weren't even the cheapest. The reviews already on here are spot-on, and though I'm not sure if they're still doing it, the Savannah Suites off of Memorial Drive in Atlanta used to rent by the HOUR. This is the kind of classless establishment we're dealing with here. So our expectations weren't high as we went to check in.

Whoever said that people - people who look like they just got out of jail and are still adjusting to see normal people in the real world - like to stare down people going to and from their room was right. I'm a pretty attractive female, so that didn't help. The last day there, there was this crazy wild-haired woman sitting outside of one of the rooms with trash bags filled with junk (evicted?) and she joined in on the looky-loo parade too. She also tried to talk to my boyfriend about Mary Kay products (??) but he brushed her off quickly before she'd really have the opportunity to bring out the crazy. Needless to say we kept the room locked at all times.

The first room they reserved for us was actually a handicapped room. As soon as you walked in, you were hit by a musty smell. Imagine going into an old building that hasn't been cleaned properly in years - it was that kind of odor.

The "carpet" was this thin, cheap grungy material that looked like felt. The little furniture that was in the room was comprised of pressed wood and chairs that looked like they'd come from the '70s. The tv was at least 15-20 years old, a piece of big bulky junk. Everything just looked cheap, cheap, cheap, as if the greedy owners of this rat trap have never renovated it and bought a bunch of second-hand items that didn't even look good when they were new. The last straw was the shower in the bathroom - we'd never seen anything like it in our lives! It looked like something out of the movie "Hostel." There were weird bars and contraptions in it, the shower floor was literally flush with the bathroom floor - meaning there's no way to keep the water in the shower. And there was no shower curtain. There wasn't even a rod for a curtain. Basically you're supposed to just stand there and let the water go through a hole in the bathroom floor.

We asked for a non-handicapped room, and this one was only slightly better. The shower had a curtain (imagine that!), but the funky smell was still ever-present, along with the crap-quality furniture, pencil-thin mattress, flimsy "pillows" and 20-year-old thin comforter. We spent as little time in that room as possible, and purchased sandals at the K-mart across the street to wear while showering and walking in the room. When night came, so did a couple of insect companions, including a baby roach on the wall. The ceiling and walls are thin, so when some wonderfully intelligent person inexplicably thought that it would be fun to stomp on the floor upstairs, it came through loud and clear.

The staff is comprised (with the exception of one) a few bitter middle-aged women who couldn't care less about keeping hotel guests happy. One was a bit snappy when we requested a room without a torture chamber in the bathroom. Another seemed agitated when we had to go switch key cards when we changed rooms (and to echo another reviewer, the key card didn't work when we tried to use it, and the staff member acted surprised and got maintenance to come try to fix it. I glared at their charade from the side, astonished by their "eff effort" attitude.)

The frauds who own this particular Savannah Suites should be forced to spend a night there, AND use the shower without flip-flops. Oh one last thing, the coffee machine didn't even work - somehow the water for the coffee spurted upwards, creating a mess.

In summary, I wouldn't wish a hotel stay here on my worse enemy

Room Tip: For the love of all things Holy DO NOT RENT HERE.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bishop, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

This place was a dump. The whole hotel smelled of cigarette smoke. We asked for a
non-smoking room. This room smelled of cigaretts smoke. We could not stay there and
cancelled our reservations. I think people were living here on a regular basis. This place was not new even though it saId it was. It looked old and run down.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

Manager was unwelcoming at check-in. If you want to iron your cloths, you have to check out the iron and the ironboard from the front desk by leaving your driver license until you return them. Can't sleep majority of the night because my room was sandwiched between a room will crying kids and a louder snorer. The walls were so damn thin. I had originally booked for 3 nights because I was fooled by the hotel's photos and video online. I can't until morning comes, so I can get the hell out of this dump. So, beware all of you budget travellers. This place is not worth your money, no matter how cheap it may be. What a @#$!! place!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Calabash, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I should have realized what kind of place it was when we first pulled up and had to stand outside in a line to a walk-up window just to check in. We were given a room way in the back in what looked like an alley way...when we finally got to the room the keys would not work in the door mainly because the door was broken along with every door in the place. We had to call the maintence guy to come get us into our room...when he finally got the door open it was not the room that had been reserved nor was it the room in the pictures on their website. We had to make another trip to the front window where we were given another room, once we finally got to that room the keys again didnt work and the same maintence guy had to fix that door which took almost 30 minutes. When we finally got the door fixed and tried to settle into the room it was awful! The smell was horrible it smelled as if it hadnt been cleaned or had any fresh air in months! There were even dead cockroaches in the room!!! There were no lamps just awkward overhead lighting! There is a bar located right across the parking lot that has people coming in and out yelling and screaming all hours of the night! There was a large group of men standing outside our door obviously drunk talking about a bar fight that had just occured in the bar/tattoo parlor. We were terrified I found myself looking out the window on many occasions just to make sure our car was still outside or broken into. This hotel is not a place to bring a family especially if you have children. I felt horrible bringing my one year old to a place like that. We had booked a 2 night stay but after one night there we refused to stay another night! The woman at the front desk was less than helpful when we went to her about our concerns she shrugged us off as if we were bothering her. She claimed that she stays there often as if that was supposed to make us feel any better! She made it clear that we probably wouldnt be getting a refund from them. Needless to say defintely read reviews before you stay anywhere I wish we would have! I would not reccomend this hotel to anybody!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
CarolMakoui, General Manager at Savannah Suites, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Savannah Suites Savannah. We apologize for not making your stay with us a pleasant one. The problems you encountered with your doors, lighting and cleanliness of the room have been addressed. I assure you that we do take guest satisfaction seriously and regret giving the impression we do not care. Again we apologize for all inconveniences you encountered and thank you for your taking the time to give feedback, for that is how we are able to become better.

Been to Savannah Suites? Share your experiences!