“Super fun...glad I didn't nap in the car instead” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 204 things to do in Savannah
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Housed in the former Central of Georgia Railway Roundhouse and Repair Shops Complex at Savannah, the Georgia State Railroad Museum exhibits a collection of historic, restored rolling stock and interprets the history of railroading in the state of Georgia, offering guided tours, student programming, private tour & event bookings, and more!
Savannah, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
“Super fun...glad I didn't nap in the car instead”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I'm not into railroads or trains & considered taking a quick nap while my family toured this museum & roundhouse. I'm so glad that I went because it's one of the best things we saw on our Savannah trip. We were able to tour the inside of the restore executive cars. The restoration must be painstaking because they're in pristine condition. The tour guide was very friendly & knowledgeable. As we were leaving our family was talking about how cool it would be to take a train on vacation & do a sleeper car. This is a cool place!

Visited January 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
49 attraction reviews
“Cool, historic, fun for the whole family!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

The museum is located in the origional repair shops for the Georgia state railroad. The museum has a large amount of locomotives and rolling stock in various stages if restoration, the roundhouse, and repair facilities. For $15.00 extra you can get admission to the children's "museum" ( which is just a really big play area). Your admission is good for three days and gets you into the RxR museum, battlefield park, or the historical museum.

Deltona, Florida
“Best Museum we visited in Savannah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This museum was even more fun when we came in for the executive passenger car tour. A guide went through and explained and walked through some of the locked cars and gave the history of each one. It was very interesting, there were a lot of hands on "toys" within the museum. I would suggest that you take the guided tours or exhibits that they have there, it was the best part.

Visited November 2012
Wellman, Iowa
8 attraction reviews
“Train Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I come to Savannah to visit my grand kids. This is a wonderful place to take little ones, especially little boys who love trains. We've gone together twice and both times it was hard to get the oldest to leave. They have made the train ride longer and plan to lengthen it considerably in the future as the budget permits. I look forward to future visits to see the progress they've made.

Visited November 2012
7 attraction reviews
“Really neat museum with lots of history!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice blend of train memorabilia and interactive displays. Many of the cars are very old and in good condition. My nearly six year old grandson love this museum!