“First Choice in Savannah for Location, Charm, Innkeepers and Price!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Columbia Square Inn

Columbia Square Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Savannah
Columbia Square Inn
You added Columbia Square Inn to your Saves list
125 Habersham St., Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #27 of 39 Savannah B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“First Choice in Savannah for Location, Charm, Innkeepers and Price!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

First Choice in Savannah for Location, Charm, Innkeepers and Price!!

[Note: If I read this, I’d wonder if it was written by the innkeepers themselves, because it’s so complimentary and pretty well-written. But it’s for real. I’m an English teacher in Boston, which accounts for my writing style.]

The Columbia Square Inn is one of the best-kept secrets in Savannah – and it shouldn’t be! It is a beautifully restored historic home superbly located on peaceful Columbia Square which, although just a few minutes’ walk from E. Bay Street, gets little traffic.

Although the house is substantial, it has just 3 rooms for guests – because they’re so large! I had a gorgeous, big, bright corner room with wide-board floors, high ceilings, and huge windows filled with light. It was actually hard to get myself to leave in the morning as I enjoyed relaxing in the room so much.

The room was furnished with the most comfortable bed I’ve slept in outside my own home, a lovely settee, a small table set with pretty tableware for breakfast. There is central A/C that was comfortable throughout my visit, despite the warm weather (80-90 degrees, which is hot to me – I live in Boston).

The owners, Barbara and Royce, are warm and caring hosts. They live on the ground floor, which has a separate entrance. However, whenever I was going out in the morning one of them seemed to magically appear to say hello and offer information and suggestions, which I soon learned was made possible by a small buzzer that goes off in their home when the door of the inn is opened. Barbara is also always available on her cell phone. [Do be aware that they are an older couple (I’m in my 50’s, so you figure out what I mean) and they cannot help you with your luggage.]

The breakfast is what I learned is pretty common in a lot of inns and B&Bs in this area (Savannah, Charleston, etc.). My room had a separate small room (like a large closet) next to the bathroom with a fridge stocked with juice, bread, packaged muffins, yogurt, cereal, milk, sodas, bottled water, coffee, and a coffeemaker. If you’re accustomed to New England inns where breakfast is a major meal of fresh muffins, omelettes, homemade breads, etc., served in a dining room, this does not seem to be the custom in this area. Barbara and Royce’s cold breakfast spread compared favorably with those I had at other inns and B&Bs in the area. Besides, with the money you save on this place you could take yourself out to an enormous hot breakfast, if that’s what you want.

I didn’t get to see the other two rooms, but I learned that the one next to mine consisted of one larger and one smaller room, which were occupied by a mother and daughter, so each had her own private sleeping area. I don’t know about the other one.

The location couldn’t be better – and I mean that, it’s not just an expression. You’re within a few minutes walk of the action- and restaurant-packed tourist Bay Street area in one direction, and the quieter museum- and café-filled area on the other. You’re also just a couple of blocks from Broughton Street, the main commercial street in downtown.

Because Columbia Square is one of the smaller squares, it doesn’t get the heavy vehicle or tourist traffic of the larger ones. Sometimes at the end of a day of touring I took a glass of wine into the square and had a peaceful half hour before going to dinner. I was never awakened by street noise (I’m not bothered by the clip-clop of the horse drawn carriages that occasionally pass by).

Finally, the price is amazing – I both want to keep it secret so I’ll be able to get a room here again but also want to share it with Trip Advisor readers and see that Barbara and Royce get the business they deserve. Rooms at inns/b&bs of this type in Savannah in high season, when I was there, seem to start in the high $100’s and go upwards from there – way upwards. At Columbia Square, I paid $115/night – it would have been about $15-20 more if there had been two of us, I think. WOW! The price was so reasonable that I was a bit worried about what I’d find, but no, it was easily the equal of its higher-priced competitors.

I spent 4 nights at the inn, so I got a good chance to experience it. I have traveled very extensively and have stayed at places in all price ranges (before I became a teacher I was in business for many years and so have stayed in lots of expense-account rooms). With all this experience,First Choice in Savannah for Location, Charm, Innkeepers and Price!!

I spent 4 nights at the inn, so I got a good chance to experience it. I have traveled very extensively and have stayed at places in all price ranges (before I became a teacher I was in business for many years and so have stayed in lots of expense-account rooms). With all this experience, I'd recommend it highly to family and friends, and I’d return to the Columbia Square Inn in a minute. I just hope my review will not cause them to be sold out when I want to go.

Room Tip: There are just 3!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Galax VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

My wife and I spent several nights at the Columbia Square Inn while celebrating our twentieth wedding anniversary. For us, this was a perfect choice. First, the Inn is in a great locatiion: In a quiet residential neighborhood on a peaceful square and easy walking distance to many restaurants and attractions. We parked our car in the private lot and left it there our entire trip. Our room was huge compared to many others we have stayed in. Furnished with antiques and reproductions, but in a minimalist style. Our room overlooked Columbia Square and we could hear the trickle of the fountain when our windows were open. This is not a typical B & B where you are served a full breakfast. A very nice continental style breakfast is provided to enjoy in your room at a small table. We enjoyed not having to get up at a set time to have breakfast. Our hosts were helpful but unobtrusive. We felt like we were using a friend's home for our stay. For value, location and ambience you cannot beat the Columbia Square Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking Columbia Square.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

The location was one of the best we could find in Savannah! While a lot of the other B&B’s are near Savannah’s beautiful Forsyth Park and offer much bigger breakfast options, Columbia Square Inn is conveniently located near Broughton, Bay, Congress and River Street. Many of Savannah’s B&Bs are about a mile walk from the downtown and while I’m a big walker, it was nice being so close to all the shopping and restaurants that Savannah has to offer (and for a much cheaper price than the other B&Bs I researched). I didn’t get in my car the whole time I was there and that was really nice.

Barbara and her husband were sweet and had a lot of good suggestions for our visit. Breakfast was perfect because we didn’t have to get up at any certain time and got to enjoy it alone in our room. The granola they put in your room is delicious and because I wasn’t eating a ton for breakfast, I felt like I could splurge a little more at all the amazing and unhealthy restaurants we went to throughout our stay. The rooms were simple, clean and pretty and besides our tub draining a little slowly, it was a perfect visit.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to Savannah, and were lucky enough to find this perfectly located and beautifully decorated bed and breakfast. Our room was fantastic. It was decorated in antiques, although I agree with another commentor that the room was not overdone, and rather, was extraordinarily tasteful. In addtion, the Inn Keepers, Barbara and Royce were as geniune as pecan pie. One of our favorite nights of our whole trip, we sent on the back porch just chatting with them. Lastly, there really couldn't be a more ideal location, we parked our car when we got there and didn't move it again until we headed home.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

Such an intimate, lovely, perfectly-located bed and breakfast, with amazing and gracious owners/innkeepers -- Barbara and Royce. We absolutely **loved** the Columbia Square Inn! It is beautiful with antiques, but not overdone; right on the most lovely square; full of light; and a short walk to the best of shopping and the River area as well as the Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD).

My husband and I traveled with our 17 year old daughter who may come to SCAD next fall, and Barbara gave us the absolute perfect room with a queen bed and large sitting area, that has an adjacent sweet little twin room with lovely quilts off of it. It couldn't have been nicer. The set-up gave our daughter privacy to study and sleep. Barbara and Royce had great suggestions for dinners and visits, and they were spot-on. The inn is spanking clean, has a fun history, and is romantic. We watched "First Friday" fireworks out the window, attended music festival events, and saw a picturesque wedding at 5 pm in the square. I definitely will return, and soon. We planned two nights there, but it wasn't nearly long enough! Savannah, and the Columbia Square Inn, are just terrific!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

We spent a wonderful weekend in Savannah, Ga and The Columbia Square was perfect. It was comfortable and the rooms were big and comfortable.

Royce and Barbara made you feel like family.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

With a much needed respite, my husband invited me to join him on a business trip to this amazing city. Never did I imagine, how lovely a time we would have. From the minute we stepped into the home of Barbara & Royce, we were comfortable. Our room overlooking just one of the historical squares was so pretty, and had everything we needed to rest, relax & enjoy. The fridge was filled with fresh fruit, homemade muffins, assorted beverages etc. We were free to come & go, and they could not have been more helpful to us in finding our way around in just a few days. Their home is centrally located to anywhere you might want to go. If we are fortunate enough to go back again, there's no question where we would stay. Thank you so much for you kindness & generosity at a very difficult time. Lynda & Michael Z. West Chester, PA.

Stayed December 2006

Been to Columbia Square Inn? Share your experiences!