“very informative” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 166 Activities in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic walking tour business of Savannah, Georgia.
Columbus
3 attraction reviews
“very informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Should be one of the first things you do. Gives you a great feel for the area. As a "northerner", I'm not sure I buy into the south's version of the civil war. But it is good to hear the other perspective. Just my wife and I; Jack took his time and answered any and all questions. Very personable. The walking is not bad, but the standing can be hard on your back.

Visited July 2013

Bonifay, Florida
“History you can SEE!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

On a last minute trip to Savannah, we decided we wanted to learn some of the rich history that Savannah has to offer. I researched different kinds of tours online, and came across many reviews about Jack and his infamous walking tours. I sent him and email and he immediately responded, and since we were only in Savannah for one day, he worked with us and found a time he could do a tour with us. Although my husband was not crazy about the idea of walking for three and a half hours, he was interested in civil war history enough to give it a go. He was NOT disappointed! The tour was wonderful. Jack did an awesome job of walking us through History....of bringing all the different angles of the Civil War to life. The (over) three hours passed too quickly and we both wanted more!! Jack had historic pictures to show of buildings that are still there, so you could see how little they had changed, he had maps to show routes and places soldiers camped and how they attacked....It was amazing. Better than reading a history book any day. If you are truly interested in Colonial or Civil War History, you MUST take Jack's walking tour. There are so many signs to read and places to stop and see, you can not appreciate the rich beauty and historic value of Savannah by riding a bus or trolley, you need to walk through it and take it all in. My husband was convinced he wouldn't learn anything new, because he has studied the Civil War in depth, but....he was WRONG....Jack surprised him with many new facts he did not know!! I HIGHLY recommend Jack, and am bringing family back this fall to take another tour with him!

Visited July 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

“Definately a must-do while in Savannah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We recently went to Savannah with friends and took the Civil War walking tour with Jack Wray. We had a wonderful time!!!! Jack really knows his history and relays it with passion and imagery. Savannah's rich history is palpable and I'm glad we took the tour with Jack so that he could educate us and as a result we could appreciate it's history and beauty even more. Savannah is a beautiful place and when we visit again, I'd love Jack to take us for the Historic Savannah tour or the Coloniel tour.--The Summers, North Carolina

Visited May 2013
Galveston, Texas
“Jack Wray An Informative, Accomodating and Thoughtful Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A wedding brought a diverse group of family members to Savannah. Not everyone was leaving at the same time, and everyone had an opinion on what the group should do. Jack Wray to the rescue. Mr. Wray checked in frequently prior to the private tour as rainy weather threatened. He met us at the hotel armed with maps and umbrellas. We were a mixed crowd of Yankees and Rebels. We asked for and Mr. Wray provided an informative, focused Civil War tour. He knew the scoop on General Sherman's "other" activities while in Savannah and other little known Civil War facts. Mr. Wray also provided one member with a lead on a genealogist that was most helpful.

Visited April 2013
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
“Thanks Jack...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Not only did we get a great tour by Jack, he took the time to show us different sites/homes that were not related directly to our tour. Very knowledgeable and keeps things fun and interesting...Thanks Jack. Can't wait until we get the chance to take your other tour.. BTW....My wife is buying me the "Midnight in the Garden of Eden" book so I can get up to date on the Savannah social scene!!! LOL

Visited June 2013