“Best walking tour ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 166 Activities in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic walking tour business of Savannah, Georgia.
Olympia, Washington
“Best walking tour ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

WOW, Jack Wray knows Savannah! We enjoyed every minute, the history, local stories, and the walking tour were superb! This was our first visit to Savannah and we were thoroughly enmeshed in it's charm, history and lore. Jack sets a graceful pace, and he exhibited all of the charm I had expected from such a grand Southern city.

Visited April 2013

Canada
30 attraction reviews
“A mini London with so many squares”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Savannah is the perfect size for walking around the city. I fell in love with the many squares - I believe there are about 24 - and the beautiful historical buildings and monuments on each. It is a city rich in history and lore. The condition of these old buildings is amazing and the restoration we were told owes much to the Savannah Centre for Art and Design (SCAD). Instead of building a modern utilitarian campus, they are restored many old buildings scattered throughout the city. I highly recommend a visit to Savannah.

Visited March 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
“Tour with Jack Wray - Historic Savannah by Foot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We enjoyed Jack's tour. He pays attention to detail and accuracy of the history. I am happy to recommend Jack to anyone else that is looking for a walking tour of Savannah. We took the Colonial tour. He also offers a Civil War tour.

Visited March 2013
Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“A great walking tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Jack Wray met me promptly at my B&B and then took me on a marvelous 3 1/2 hour walking tour back in time. The subject matter included both Civil War (including Cotton Economics 101 and Slavery) and general Savannah history, as I had requested a combination package. There was even a good bit of Revolutionary War history thrown in for good measure!

From Forsyth Park to Factor 's Walk on the River, Jack navigated more than half of Savannah's famed Squares while frequently peppering his Savannah history lesson with witty and ironic anecdotes. Jack was so very knowledgeable and informative, the hours just flew by!

Additionally, I discovered the added benefit of learning the town's layout with Jack's guidance. This really helped me navigate my way around Savannah for the remainder of my visit.

Kudos to ack Wray for an organized and thoughtful peek into Savannah's most fascinating past!

Visited February 2013
Springfield, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“A Great Experience. Wonderful way to soak in the history of Savannah.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were met by our historic Savannah walking guide, Jack Wray, at the B&B where we were staying. He explained the options we could choose for our walking tour and then tailored the walk to our specifications. Attractions we had visited earlier were eliminated and new vistas that conformed to our interests were added. Jack produced diagrams of Savannah at its founding for our review and gave a concise overview of what we would see prior to setting out. The tour took us to virtually all of the historic squares and Jack provided the history of each - how the square was named, who might be entombed under the monument, why the square was historically significant and a history of the surroundings (who owned the properties and why they were important to Savannah's and United States history. Though the tour was only to last 2 hours, Jack kept going (at our request) for an additional half hour without additional charge. We highly recommend this tour and Jack.

Visited February 2013