“Great place to go for a cheap meal with friends!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican, Eclectic
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Savannah, Georgia
“Great place to go for a cheap meal with friends!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've been to Taco Abajo several times with different groups of friends and had a great experience each time. The waitstaff is always very nice and have even taken our cards a few times if we didn't quite hit the required $10 minimum. The chips are absolutely delicious, and I'm a personal fan of their loaded nachos. If you're looking for a cheap night out, good food, and a decent bar scene, this is definitely the place to go.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Heathrow, Florida
“Second time around...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was our second visit to Taco Abajo. We brought our friends from Nashville with us this time and now they love it too! We all ordered different tacos - pork, chicken and fish and they were all delicious. The game room is awesome and hopefully next time there will be live music. We will definitely be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Savannah, Georgia, United States
“Avoid Taco Abajo. Savannah has so much more to offer!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This place was awful! We came for dinner after I bought a gift card through my Savannah menu membership. The menu looked good, so I thought a $15 gift card for $5 would be great. I was wrong! To begin with, our waiter had virtually zero knowledge about the menu or the bar offerings. He had to bring us a dry erase board from the bar when we asked what beers they had on tap. Then, my husband asked him to describe the tobacco-raisin jelly and he said he really didn't know what it was. The guacamole was average, but not worth the increased cost compared to an ordinary chain texmex place. I ordered the cilantro lime shrimp tacos with Mexican rice and the only thing I ate was the overly seasoned shrimp. The rice was cold and terribly flavored. My husband ordered the buffalo burrito with fried corn. It tasted old and overcooked. The best part of the meal was the draft beer, and even it wasn't cold like a tap should be! We should've known what we were in for when we walked in and there was only 1 other table occupied in the entire restaurant. Avoid taco abajo. Savannah has so many better options, some of which don't make it because of underexposure.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Savannah, GA
“Delicious casual dining.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I keep coming back to Taco Abajo and like it more with each visit. This time I had the Slow-Cooked Pork Taco plate with a side of Sweet Tater Tots while my partner had the Modelo-battered Fish Tacos with a Garbanzo Bean Salad. The fish was good but the pork tacos were the best thing I've ever had on a soft taco- a slightly sweet slaw, caramelized grilled onions and pulled pork that was well-seasoned with what tasted like either a bit of 5-spice powder or anise.

I do have 2 comments, despite my 5-star rating: the meat on my taco was only room temperature. I'm not sure why, as our plates were brought out very quickly from the kitchen. I would've sent mine back but the idea of having my slaw microwaved to rectify the problem didn't sound like a good idea. But the tacos were still delicious and I didn't say anything to the waiter. My second comment is that sweet potato tater tots do not need to be dusted with powdered sugar. I am diabetic and can handle sweet potatoes in moderation but the sugar was a huge no-no for me and I had to let my partner finish them off. Extra sweetness was not needed and very unexpected, although I must admit I didn't ask for prep details before I ordered them. But overall, this place still gets an excellent rating from me because the food was not only delicious but downright cheap to boot. Next time, though, the food needs to be hot or I will not be so generous with my accolades. Listen up, kitchen!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
savannah
“Pretty Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Interesting atmosphere with brick walls and low ceilings. Food was reasonably priced. Beer was the most expensive in town! So, on to the food... We liked the tacos and burritos. It needed some spice but was fresh tasting and they do bring out the sauces. Service was excellent. We will definitely return.

• Visited March 2013