“Parking Prison” 2 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #34 of 112 hotels in Savannah
“Parking Prison”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We have a corvette. Not a new one, but one we have worked hard for. It's spotless. We work hard to maintain that as well. This hotel has valet parking. They refuse to allow you any other parking option. They also charge $15 per day for this service, which you are not told until you check in. They refuse to let you go to the parking building without them accompanying you. This means they are getting in and out of your vehicle. They stepped in the seats, kicked the speakers, knocked the kick plate out onto the street (this happened several times) and refuse to let you go to or from the (public) parking building on your own. We come and go a lot during our stay. We received numerous eye rolls and general attitude from the valet staff. They insist on keeping your keys to the car. We also personally witnessed a valet texting on his phone while driving another guest's car. And one of them.gave my husband a ride over to the parking building in someone's Lincoln Navigator. So it's acceptable to allow guests to ride in someone else's car? This was absolutely the worst service we have ever been forced to take. The hotel is conveniently located. The rooms spacious and clean. Tiffany at the front desk was very kind. When we tried to complain, we were unable to get past the front desk supervisor (Selene, I believe was her name) to reach any further resolution. In summary, if you value your vehicle, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review.
I am sorry for any confusion that occurred in regards to valet parking. I double checked our website and reviewed the reservation confirmation page sent out from our hotel and both stated that there is a charge for parking. We, like all hotels in this area, charge for parking. Our parking fee is less than most of the hotels in the area. Additionally, there are other options for parking: You can park with us which is valet, you can park in the city garage right next to the hotel, there are a small number of parking spots behind the hotel on the street and there is other street parking options if you want.
No is ever supposed to allow anyone in another guests car and I take this issue very seriously. I have addressed this issue personally with the staff. I have also personally addressed the other issues with our valet team and used your comments as an example to train our staff.
I am sorry that these issues occurred and we will make sure we communicate parking options better in the future and handle our guests cars in the professional manner that is expected.
Thank you again for your time and feedback,

404 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there from the 22nd till the 27th for our annual family vacation. We stayed on the top floor, kids loved to sit on the balcony and look out. Staff was great and brought up a fold out bed so the kids had a bed each. Our bedroom was nice and bed was very comfortable, having outlets next to the eachside of the bed was very useful not to mention the free Internet. It was also nice to have two places to get ready in the morning with a extra sink and mirror on the kids side.

Breakfast was good, great variety and even had a mini waffle that was perfect for the little ones.

The area was in a great location, make sure to ask the valet to call for a one of those bike carts. It was a great way to see downtown sites. Loved the fact the hotel had water after we got back and even better it was different fruit everyday.

Tybee island wasn't that bad of a drive either, I'd recommend taking a side street to hit the expressway.

Overall we had a awesome time staying there, kids loved the pool and just the look and feel of the hotel was right in line with what we hoped for. Defently plan on coming back next year.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for submitting a review for our hotel.
I am glad you had a chance to enjoy our breakfast! The flavored waffles and the minis are great for the family!
The pedi cabs are a great option for seeing Savannah and are very reasonably priced. Our valet is happy to call them to pick you up.
The water is a nice touch after a warm day of sight seeing and I am glad you had a chance to enjoy it.
We look forward to your next visit!
Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights, the hotel looks very nice, but the staff got on my nerves. They tried to over charge us, we had to get that straight and valet left our car sitting out on the road. Next time im gonna stay on the strip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for submitting a review for our hotel.
I am sorry for any confusion that occurred with charges. Our intention is not to over charge anyone and I am will correct any errors that may have occurred. In reviewing your bill, it looked as though a correction had been made but if it has not, please contact me and I will get it fixed immediately. We try to communicate and be upfront about the any cost for your stay but there are times that errors can occur. My expectation from our team is that we correct these immediately.
Thank you again for your time and feedback,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed one night. The hotel is in a good location. Lobby is beautiful, but our rooms left a lot to be desired. The hotel personnel were very helpful, especially since we arrived at 11 at night. This was a long day and the hotel personnel were very accommodating. The room was worn and the mattress needs to be changed out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Augusta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have stayed here before, and the hotel was nice. This time my room smelled like mold/mildew, and triggered my allergies. I know the area has been under significant rain lately, but they need to make sure that the rooms are free of mold/mildew.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear travloften,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As you know from your previous stays, this hotel is very nice and we take a lot of pride that. I am very sorry that this was your experience as no one wants to stay in a room like that. If you would please contact me at 912-790-8287 so I can ensure that we take action to remedy any issue that may be in that room, I would appreciate it.

Again, thank you for your time and I am very sorry this occurred. I look forward to speaking with you.

London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had requested a balcony, mini fridge and microwave as advertised. Upon arrival, we were advised that the hotel was unaware of these requests, and would not be able to accommodate them on short notice, or that we could cancel our original reservation and rebook with them directly, which was not acceptable to us. We picked this hotel over some others due to the outdoor pool and the balconies overlooking the pool.

The room we were given essentially was unacceptable. Threadbare towels that you could see through, sheets that would not stay on the bed so you end up sleeping on the mattress cover, phone didn't work, tv didn't work, used shampoo and lotion containers, no fridge, no microwave. Staff were generally unfriendly, but at least responded to issues.

After 2 days we finally had a discussion with the general manager, who managed to find a room with a balcony, as well as real towels and was generally much cleaner. Staff started speaking to guests and some southern hospitality finally shone through. Sheets still would not stay on the bed. I hate mattress covers! They seem to have deep mattresses, but only the slim line mattress covers. Not good.

Location is great. Even though the hotel is on the edge of the historic district, the main tour and DOT station is right across the street. That was a bonus. The pool area was clean and wonderful with all the heat and humidity. Overall, I rated it average. First room was awful, second room was considerably better. Thank you to the GM for intervening and moving us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jerry C,
Thank you for taking time to write a review. I apologize first for the confusion when your reservation was booked. Balcony rooms are available with a purchase of that specific room type. These rooms are not able to be requested as a free upgrades through reservations. You are able to pay for them and then they are guaranteed. The reservationist should have explained that better and I am sorry they did not.
I am also sorry for the issues that were in the room. These issues have been addressed with the appropriate departments and action has been taken to ensure our future guests have a better experience.

I thank you for coming and speaking with me and I am glad that we were able to resolve the issues with your next room.

Cooper City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

we stayed here on our way to south Carolina and really enjoyed it here. first, the lobby was renovated and was very clean the staff was very friendly including the valet. we stayed in a corner room and was very large. the beds were comfortable but the bathroom needs renovation. it was centrally located and walking distance to the riverfront and other historic places. we walked everywhere! we ate the distillery across the street and was very good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Historic District? Share your experiences!