“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 112 hotels in Savannah
Albion, New York
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'm addicted to bidding for hotels on the discount sites; my family and i get to stay in the historic district and i love trying out new places for a good price. Normally we end up with the Hyatt when we bid, which is a great hotel on the riverfront, but a few things annoy us about the place. The Marriott is a flip in the sense that it's a good fifteen minute walk from the river (which stinks), but the hotel itself is nicer, the people more friendly, and i didn't feel like valet and additional services and products were being forced on me. Other than the long walk to Bay and River street, the hotel was wonderful. The rooms were spacious and the 14.00 parking fee wasn't nearly as bad as the typical 20 to 25. I liked that the walls were thick and the sound of our whiny toddlers didn't invade the entire hotel as it did at, say the Planters Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

399 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed there over the weekend before Memorial Day. We got there before check in time, our room wasn't ready but we were able to valet park our car, and they took our luggage and put it in a back room. They also took my cell # and called when our room was ready , about an hour or so later. They say the hotel is close to the river, it is more like a 10-12 block walk. The hotel is right next to the Welcome Center , but it is sort of on the far corner of downtown. There are several places to eat within a short walk of the hotel, Each day they have a large water pitcher filled with fresh fruit to flavor it. And in the mornings and evenings, different flavored coffees. We had a corner room on the 4th floor and it had 2 large windows. The room is a good size , bigger than some regular hotel rooms. It had a small microwave and a mini fridge, with room for storing items. There is a buffet breakfast room, that is nice. You can prepay for that, which we didn't know about. The buffet, is $9.95 for the whole thing including drinks or $7.95 if you just want the danish and fruit, with your drinks. It included eggs, grits, oatmeal, bacon , sausage , fruit, boiled eggs, toppings for your oatmeal, 2 different waffle makers, cereal, yogurt, several different types of juices...maybe more that I missed. Everyone that worked there was extremely friendly and professional. Check in was easy when the room was ready, and the have the fast check out. Oh yes, you have no choice but to valet park, and it is $14 seems kinda of strange since all they do is pull your car in to their garage attached to the hotel, coulda park it myself for free, not sure why they don't allow that ! Only thing about my stay I didn't like.

Room Tip: As for a corner room, you will have 2 nice size windows!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was my 3rd Courtyard experience in the last 6 months -- the first being 5 days in November in West LA and the Charleston Courtyard Historic District which was our stop before Savannah. I have more often stayed at Hampton Inns at this "price point" but thought the location in both cities would be better and had had a good experiecne in LA. I may have been less unhappy with this property, had I not just come from the exemplary Charleston property, But Savannah HD has quite a ways to go to meet that competition or even my experience in West LA. Its the small stuff, guys, that adds up and it was persistent. I'd still recomemnd this becasue it generally Ok, decent beds, and a great location, but must say it needs work.

I noticed when I first got the the room they were stingy with the glassware and coffee -- 2 "real" glasses (instead of the 4 I more typically see), and only 2 packets of coffeee (1 regualr one decaf) , again instead of the 2 +2 I usually see. There was no soap dish in the bathroom. It would be more convenient for guests to have a 3rd waste basket in room because sink area is separate from toilet area. Then in the a.m., (morning 1) after putting coffeepod in the coffee basket, I discovered coffee carafe was not clean. Ugh. Always makes me wonder what else isn't clean in the room. Took it down to the fornt desk to show the staff. She said she would send up a new cofee pot. She did, but by then we had gotten lobby coffee. Did the same (lobby coffeee) the next day. On third morning went to use the coffee pot, and discovered (1) they obviously hadn't cleaned it, because my pod form morning 1 was still there and (2) it doesn't work anyway, becasue carafe is too short to trigger the release of the water/coffee into the carafe. Was left with a filter full of water. Oh, and they never replaced the glass we had used in the bathroom, so we were left with only 1 clean glass on day 2. At that point (being slightly irked and getting skeptical of the "deep cleanliness " of the place) I made a mental note of fingerprints on the handset on the phone by the elevator. I ampretty sure they were there when we qarrived as well, but they were definitely still there when we left the next day.

At the Charleston HD, all of the staff I would see in the halls (and I am talking about the maids, food staff and valet/bell person), had clean, pressed uniforms, and seemed to bustle about their work with sense of purpose. Here, I saw staff in the corridors with rumpled, mismatched, and sometimes even soiled uniforms, and they meandered. They were freindly, but its just not the same. .

Finally, perhaps I missed this when checking out the hotel, but I did not realize this Courtyard does not have the "Bistro" concept. There is a bar, and a buffet breakfast, but not the "restaurant lite" they have been rolling out elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 4 nights in May for our anniversary. Every year we try to visit a new city.
The hotel is located about 15 minutes walking distance from the river front. There are a few places to eat right around the hotel, but we found that to get to the excitement you had to walk towards the river.
The room was basic and clean. However, as someone mentioned in a previous post, the shower did have mold around the edges.
Be sure to visit The Distillery directly across the street for good drinks & appetizers.
Also, the ghost tour with dinner was a fun time.
Weather was perfect everyday. Definitely a town for the history buff and more for the busy vacation. The pool at the hotel is small with a small area of sunshine.
We found that Tybee Island was not worth the drive.
The Chart House is excellent for dinner.

North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard for one night on a business trip. It is very convenient to the historic downtown sites. We were greeted by Henry (who is frequently mistaken for Cuba Gooding) and that set the pace for a very pleasant stay. All of the staff, beginning with Henry, seemed genuinely happy to see us. Our room was a very large corner room with large windows to open onto the streets below but did not allow street noises in at night. We had a very peaceful night's sleep on comfortable beds. The shower was very nice in the morning. There was a nice selection downstairs for breakfast which was served by, once again, happy, smiling staff. The only thing that was a bit surprising was the valet only parking at $14 per night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Staff went above and beyond to provide excellent service. Room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was varied and well prepared. Hotel is located close to many historic places in Savannah. Always enjoy staying here.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I am a Marriott Rewards member and consistently stay at a Courtyard or Springhill Suites. The only reason I said but is because of an issue we had with the cleaning staff. We put a Do Not Disturb sign on our door and left in the morning for downtown. We came back in the early afternoon to find that someone was in our room. The problem is twofold:
1. Do not disturb means stay out! No excuse for that!
2. My wife left her purse and wallet in the room because we expected that NO ONE would enter the room!
Because of the way the purse was moved, we promptly canceled the cards in her wallet!
Nice way to spend time on vacation.
Again, I like Marriott hotels and will continue to use them but will have a hard time returning to this one in Savannah!
Front desk apologized and gave us free breakfast coupons (which by the way is the first time I've had to pay for breakfast at Marriott!)
Definitely a major minor issue in my book!

• Stayed May 2013
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your time and response.
I want to apologize for our staff not honoring your Do Not Disturb. They should not have entered your room. I am not sure of why there was confusion over this but it should not have happened and I definitely would not want to spend time on my vacation on the phone cancelling cards.
I will follow up with our housekeeping staff and ensure we do some training for the future. I will also sit down with that specific room attendant.

Thank you again for your time.

If you have any concerns please contact me,

Derrick Pair
912-790-8287

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Historic District? Share your experiences!