“renovation is a plus” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 112 hotels in Savannah
Brandon, Florida
“renovation is a plus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

my wife and daughter and our friends stayed at this courtyard two days after new years and even though they are renovating everyone went out of there way to accomadate us and treat us like family. Charles at the front desk is there to help you all he can and he will keep you laughing too, Shantel at valet parking was quick to get your car when needed. The breakfast buffet was a good deal for the money. even the manager was always there to help in any way he could. thanks for a great stay...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband, two daughters and I stayed in Savannah for 4 nights between Christmas and New Years and we were very happy with this hotel. It was easy walking to everything in the historic district from here. We found the hotel very clean and well maintained and the staff always very friendly. Whenever we would return from an outing, the staff would say "welcome back!" which was nice- sometimes it's the little things that make a place great!
Our room was great for us, two queens. We requested a room with a microwave and fridge and were pleased with the big counter area that housed those things. We do like to travel with snacks and sandwich makings, so this was perfect.
We opted to pay the extra $5 a day when we booked the hotel through Hotelsdotcom to get free breakfast and it was worth it- when we arrived, we found out that the cost of the buffet is $12 a day/ person, if you buy it there. The buffet is your standard breakfast buffet, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, waffle maker, fruit, etc. etc. Definitely enough to get you going for your day of adventuring in Savannah.
My only complaint would be that the toilet had a tendency to run if you didn't wiggle the handle, but we didn't bother to complain to the staff about it.

We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Checked in Friday January 4. Hotel claims to have free wifi. We can't connect. Call front desk. "Oh, well, there's construction. Probably got cut."
That's it...no connection. No apology, no attempt o rectify. Total indifference=terrible customer service.

If it were a bit earlier in the day, I would switch to a different hotel.

Never again.

• Stayed January 2013
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. We do appreciate your feedback.
I am sorry that there was an issue with our internet connection and more than that, I am sorry for our poor response. I would agree 100% INDIFFERENCE=TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. We spend a lot of time trying to teach our staff that exact lesson and sometimes, even with out greatest efforts, we fall short.
I am sorry that was the experience and at a minimum, will use this to teach our associates how to better respond in the future.

If there is anything I can do to make the situation better, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Derrick Pair
912-790-8287
Martinsville, VA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stopped for one night in Savannah to break up our drive home after the holidays. Courtyards are generally a good choice. This one was no exception. We did not get early check-in at 1:30 but this gave us a chance to explore. They offered to park the car and store our things but we decided to drive. Parking is difficult but driving around a bit gave us a game plan for our short stay. Check-in at 3:00 was quick and courteous. We always ask for 3 things at this hotel...1) a corner room 2) extra pillows 3) extra towels (teenagers!) . We got the first two this time. There is a slight walking distance to the City Market and River District but the weather was cool, crisp, and sunny ...perfect for walking and taking in the city. There is a shuttle available that makes a continuous loop around the city if needed. Beds were comfy and noise level to a minimum. No concierge level at this location tho:( Easy access to parking level. The only reason I did not give a "5" was that when I awoke the morning of our short stay I was itching on my stomach and thigh...2 little bites??? Bugs outside in Dec. should not be an issue. This made be a little uncomfortable. I would stay her again tho. and alert the management if more bites occurred.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed 5 nights. First time in Savannah, but not in Georgia. This Courtyard is below par when compared to others in different states. The hotel was understaffed during the Monday thru Friday work week. First two days were as expected. But things started to slip downhill bit 3rd day and beyond. Starting with the 3rd day the house cleaning forgot to leave cups for my coffee pot (which leaked). I know this is minor, but do they use a checklist? May be a suggestion there. Also, I requested a wake up call and never received it. This is my backup to my phone. Lastly, I came in late from work one evening and the front desk wasn't manned. I picked up a bottled water, waited, and decided to pay for it the next day. From my traveling experiences this hotel leaves the front desk unmanned more than any other. No bistro for breakfast, but they do have a restaurant buffet. In the evenings they set up a bar. Hotel is within walking distance to a few local eateries. The hotel is a bit outdated to me as well. It is a quiet place which I enjoyed the most. Some colleagues I travelled with complained of the sewage backup smell in the morning which the staff said was the local paper mill nearby. I didn't experience that on the 5th floor. 2 treadmills in the exercise room was nice also. I would stay here again as the staff interaction made up for the minor concerns, very pleasant people. When I return to the area in the future I will check out the other Marriott properties first before rebooking at this hotel. Thanks for reading and a video on my youtube channel.

Pros:
- Staff
- Quiet
- Exercise Room
- Location to River Street

Cons:
- Smell
- Housekeeping

RetiredArmyRANGER
Platinum Rewards Member

Room Tip: 5th Floor away from the elevators and always ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear RetiredArmyRANGER,
Let me first thank you for your review. We genuinely appreciate the feedback we get from our guests as it helps us to better our service and hotel overall.
Room attendants do have a checklist and should have caught/replaced the missing coffee cups.
The missing wakes up calls are very concerning and I have asked our engineer to look into what the issue might have been in our room. We will definitely get this resolved and appreciate you letting us know.
We have addressed the issue of the front desk not being manned. There was a desk agent but he was not up at the front as he was supposed to be. This is unacceptable and I am sorry that you experienced that. We have taken this seriously and have taken action to ensure it does not happen again.
As for the smell... When I first moved to Savannah, I was walking outside in the downtown area and was overwhelmed by a strong odor. Smelled like rotten eggs. I figured someone was doing work on a sewer line or something like that and headed back home. A few days later, I was walking in the door of our lobby and there was that odor again. As you might imagine, I became very concerned and brought my engineer and housekeeping manager down to the lobby to help me investigate what it was. That was when I learned of what they jokingly referred to as the "Savannah Stink." It is indeed from the pulp plant and is from sulfur gases that are released. Unfortunately, when the plant runs and releases those gases, it affects the entire area of Savannah. I live 15 miles away and have smelled it in my home. Luckily, it is not an all the time thing but is definitely noticeable when it happens.
Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Derrick Pair
912-790-8287
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed in a king bedroom suite at this hotel for three nights. The suite had a door separating the bedroom and living area. The living area had a sink, fridge, and microwave. The suite was pretty large. The bed was a little too firm for my liking, but still comfy. Small balcony off of the living room had a view of a courtyard and outdoor pool (we were on the 4th floor). The location of the property is within walking distance of all the sights but far enough away that the streets are quiet at night. There is only valet parking here, which you have to pay for, but they are relatively quick to get your car out (just call ahead). One time I forgot smoething in my trunk, and they let me just walk in the garage to go get it (rather than bringing out the car to the curb). Makes you wonder why they wouldn't allow self-parking... Breakfast is not included in the rate, but we did eat the hot breakfast buffet every morning. It was decent enough. Highlight is they will make you an omelet. Overall, this location is decent for the Savannah downtown historic area.

Room Tip: Go for a suite and you will have plenty of space.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is your average courtyard hotel. Nothing interesting, nothing special.

My major criticisms are (1) there was no hair dryer in the room - I can't remember being in a hotel in 30 years that did not have a hair dryer, (2) they do not appear properly staffed - it took 30 minutes for my valet-parked car to be delivered, (3) the lack of a restaurant, (4) the hotel it is 4-5 blocks from the river area (not a route I would want to walk in the evening), and (5) the room was not cleaned well - it is always a question when you find pubic hair in the bath tub.

If you plan in spending a lot of your time at the river, there are a number of hotels that are much closer with a restaurant.

Room Tip: Look at getting a hotel closer to the River.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear JJS3,
First I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We sincerely appreciate the feedback.
All our rooms are supposed to have hair dryers. They are put into a black bag and stored in the closet just behind the vanity. We do not use the wall mount hair dryers as they generally are not as good of quality. I will follow up with our housekeeping staff to ensure that all of our rooms have hair dryers in the closets.
The wait for your car is not acceptable. Our goal is to get your car much faster than that. We have set up a system to allow our guests to call down prior to leaving the hotel so we can have the car out front waiting for them. I apologize that this did not happen and I will address this with our valet staff. We must do better than this.
We do have a restaurant for breakfast but currently do not serve lunch or dinner. I know that this can be an inconvenience at times. There are some great options with in just a few paces of the hotel that offer great dinner and lunch options. This is something we are looking to do in the future.
Hair in the bathroom is gross. I would hate to find it in my bathroom and you should not have had it in yours.
I am sorry that these issues occurred. I will use this survey as a training opportunity in our next staff meeting tomorrow.
Your feedback is important and is utilized in training our staff and improving our hotel.

Derrick

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Savannah Historic District? Share your experiences!