“Delightful in everyway!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Regina, Canada
“Delightful in everyway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were there in October 2012 for a wedding and were impressed from arrival to departure(a three night stay).
The rooms are lovely with a great view. The staff from greeters to cleaners were friendly and efficient. The pool area and general grounds were well kept and there always seemed to be something going on. The free "river shuttle" to Savannah is wonderful and we used it many times as it runs all day and well into the evening! We ate at the bar which was very good and the meal at the wedding was excellent! No disappointments here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WestinSav, Mark Spadoni, General Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am pleased to hear such nice compliments about our Resort and how much you enjoyed your visit with us. We hope that should travels bring you back to Savannah, we would have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was my second time at the property. It is a beautiful resort and in a wonderful location. I would definitely stay here again. However, on this trip I think they were booked solid and had a few events going on -- therefore -- whether they weren't ready, or didn't have enough staff I don't know -- but the ferry that takes you to River Street was late and would randomly skip stops to try to get back on schedule so you thought you would be getting dropped at one end of River Street and then you would land at the other end only to be told, "we skipped that this time". So, this made it hard to plan. On Saturday after returning to our room around 9pm we found our room had been cleaned but a large bag of trash had been left in the middle of the floor. Quite frankly I don't know how it was missed --- I had to step over it to use the phone to call someone and tell them about it. Now, they did give us the night free --- so that made up for it. Anyway --- as I said, I would stay again -- it really is a great property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for being such a loyal Starwood guest and for choosing to stay at The Westin Savannah. I appreciate you sharing nice compliments about our resort as well as concerns about the areas that you found we could improve upon. I am glad to know that our staff quickly took care of you and made up for the oversight with housekeeping. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Savannah.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We didn't stay at the hotel but heard the she-crab soup was the best around. With that said, we had to give it a try. And, yes it was DELICIOUS / EXCELLANT!!!!!

The bud light beers were $5 each. Yes, as other reviewers have said it's a pricey place. But, the areas that we saw were beautiful & so very clean!!!!! This is a resort environment so I guess they have to charge the higher prices.

Next time in the area we will stop back for the soup....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed our Chef's famous She-Crab soup. We also have a fabulous Epicurean Seafood Buffet each Saturday night. Every Sunday we have our award winning Sunday Jazz Brunch - a treat you won't want to miss. We hope that you will have an opportunity to stay with us on your next visit to Savannah.
Saint Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was very excited to stay here for a romantic weekend getaway, and normally I'm a pretty laid back person but for the absolutely RIDICULOUS amount of money it costs to stay here, color me disappointed.

We asked for a king and got 2 full beds which were so small we ended up sleeping in separate beds for our anniversary. Heavenly bed? Heavenly shower? Not even close. The room was clean but the bathroom vent looked like it hadn't been cleaned in more than a year, at least, and there were moldy spots above the shower.

AND $20 a day "resort fee". which supposedly covers parking, etc but only for the self parking lot which is a pretty good distance away, or if you don't feel like making the trek, the secure covered parking garage is valet only, for an additional fee, of course.

We asked for a razor and shaving cream to be sent up, and after nearly 45 minutes, we had to call again, and got the cheapest $2 bic-style razor and a little squeeze packet of shaving cream.

Room service was the absolute kicker. Room service adds an additional 21% gratuity, plus a $3 service fee. Okay, but then they clearly state that the server gets only 17%. Where does that other 4% go, and so why do I need to pay an additional fee on top of that then?? One slice of pie, one very minimal scoop of ice cream, and two cans of coke cost us nearly $35. No kidding. Also there are no vending machines to get your own damn coke.

The $50 incidental hold ended up being $50 on Friday, and again on Saturday, and again on Sunday. After getting the bill and realizing we were charged for eating at the restaurant (we didn't), we went to the desk to ask about it. The front desk agent, Deona, was the bright shining star of this place. She was polite and professional and she apologized for the confusion and removed the restaurant charge. She was the nicest person we encountered the entire time we were here.

We are definitely planning to come back to Savannah. We are actually planning to get married here, and for one brief moment, thought this place might be a nice place to stay with our families, but not anymore. I'm never coming back to this utter disgrace of a resort. Do yourself a favor, and stay some place else because chances are, you will be just as happy for half the price. Don't give these people anymore of your money.

Room Tip: The Hyatt on the other side of the river looked nice....
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am pleased to hear such nice compliments about Deona. We are proud to have her as a part of our team.

I apologize for some of the issues surrounding your recent stay.I appreciate your feedback and will share it with my management team to use towards making improvements.

If a guest is given a wrong room type, it is not intentional and a quick phone call back to the front desk will remedy the situation. If a guest should ever need anything - our staff is trained to provide excellent customer service and make sure everything is exactly as the guest requested. Once again, thank you for choosing The Westin SavannahHarbor and for your comments. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. Savannah truly is a beautiful location to have a wedding.
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed six days and the service to the rooms was disappointing. I suspect that the team was just novice. Every day I was greeted with "Mr. or Mrs. _____" from Service Express. It would have been better to have just said, "How can I help you?". Each room delivery - and there were many since the room did not have a hair dryer, soap, etc. was annoyingly followed up with a call about whether or not it was received.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate hearing feedback from our guests so that we can evaluate our service and make improvements when needed. We train our staff to be courteous, and part of the charm of southern hospitality is by always greeting our guests by name. We apologize that the follow up call annoyed you, and have found that most guests appreciate that we make sure they have received the item they have requested. Once again, thank you for your review and we hope that should travels bring you back to Savannah, we would have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

First of all this is my first trip advisor review... We just left the hotel and I'm waiting no time rating this hotel. We stayed here 4 nights for our 10 year anniversary and to be honest ripped off. On the first day of our arrival we pull up in and my husband gets out to get a cart for our luggage... He is told Concierge has to bring the cart... So my husband unloads everything onto the cart "Simon" (the concierge) pushes the cart 20-30ft inside the building then as he passes it off to another concierge team member (more tip expected) Simon says behind me "tip 1022" several times! So uneven though we tried to get our own cart we are expected to tip him for pushing our luggage 20ft then someone else pushes it to our room ... I did tip her... The point is we havnt been on the grounds 10minutes and already feel like we may a bad decision in choosing this hotel...
We ask for a king bed we got 2 full beds. One bottle of water in the room "complimentary" and another if you want it ... Yes it's purified and bottle bigger it's $2.95. This "resort" has no vending machines??? So therefore you have to purchase drinks etc from the restaurants and bars which it cost $8.00 for a cup of tea and a cup of coke... Really??? The water taxi is complimentary ??? NO! It's public transportation anyone from anywhere can ride the ferry as they choose no charge. We find out there is a resort fee of $20 per day? Um for what?? Concierge told my husband it's for parking, fitness center, ferry, pooletc. WOW... When you pay the price you pay to stay here these things should be included. They call it a resort I do not agree ... We have stayed at many resorts this is NOT A RESORT... You pay extra for every step you take beyond your room. Rooms are clean and nice but just as many hotel rooms are and you paying less. We splurged and went to the "heavenly spa"... What a joke .... No jacuzzi ,no pool ,steam room broken down... We paid wayyyyy over priced for a locker room and a massage... Another couple in front of us complained to management and so it just reaffirmed my thoughts. We loved savannah it's self but will not stay at the westin again ... My whole trip I felt ripped off and like I was always uncertain where fees would be added or expected. As we are leaving this morning THREE guys from concierge are standing around and I guess because we carried our own luggage didn't even speak not one goodbye, thank you , have a nice day... NOTHING

• Stayed October 2012
WestinSav, Mark Spadoni, General Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments surrounding your recent stay. As a four star Resort, we offer complimentary luggage assistance to our guests. Our guests are never obligated to tip for this service, but may do so if they like. Please allow me to clear up the misunderstanding of what you heard Simon say. We do have another associate named Tithia, whose nickname is “Tip” (which given to her before she joined our team.) He was calling her to let her know it was her turn for luggage to go to room 1022. If she had not answered, he would have had to call the next available attendant since they work on a rotating basis.

To better assist our guests, we have Valet (Simon) stationed outside to immediately assist our guests as they unload their cars, and then our Luggage Attendants (Tithia, or “Tip”) stationed inside to help assist our guests by taking the luggage to the rooms. This is to ensure that we always have staff readily available to welcome guests as they drive up to our entrance.

In response to your letter, we have already had a departmental meeting to discuss all of the issues you brought to our attention to make much needed improvements in these areas. Our staff is trained to be warm, friendly and to take care of our guests needs by exceeding their expectations. I apologize that our staff failed to do so in your situation and for the cloud it put over the rest of your stay with us. I do appreciate you bringing these matters to my attention and want you to know that corrective action has been taken to ensure this does not happen again.

It would be our pleasure to be of service to you again in the future should you be kind enough to give us the opportunity.
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

The lobby and grounds are well kept and clean. The hallways are also clean with no wear to the carpets. Rooms (we were on the 14th floor) could stand to be spruced up (our duvet cover had quite a few pulls in the fabric, inside sheet had a nasty greyish brown stain that look like it just can't be washed out, carpets, walls, and draperies are drab with some stains on the.carpet). Could use a fresh coat of brighter paint, new carpets, new linens, new draperies. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin Savannah Harbor and for taking the time to post a review. I appreciate you sharing your compliments as well as your concerns. It is our goal to have regularly scheduled pre-maintenance in all areas of our Resort. We are constantly upgrading items such as draperies, carpets, linens and adding fresh coats of paint. I have shared your comments with our Director of Engineering so that we can use this information as a means to make further room inspections to ensure that all of these issues have been addressed. We hope that if you have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future, you will see a marked improvement in these areas.

Been to Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!