“Perfect Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Buffalo, New York
“Perfect Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Stayed here for two nights in March and had an excellent stay. Our room overlooked the river and had a great view of downtown. The hotel itself was lovely, from the pool and patio out back, to the spacious lobby and peaceful rooms. It seemed made to help you relax and unwind - the spa was excellent for that as well. Loved that there was a starbucks in the lobby to grab a quick coffee and that they had a ferry that left right from the back of the hotel to take you over to the city itself. All and all an excellent hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
WestinSav, Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay! We are always happy to receive a great review such as yours. Our resort aims to create a presence of serenity to help our guests escape to a place of relaxation and calm. We are glad to hear that we were able to provide this experience for you and that you had the opportunity to visit our Heavenly Spa. We look forward to welcoming you during your next stay in Savannah!

936 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Neptune Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

I had a situation occur with my stay at the Westin in Savannah GA that was not resolved. I booked and pre-paid $260 for a river view King room for my one year anniversary with my husband.
When we arrived we were told there was only a parlor/conference room with no bed available, however, it had a pull out sofa. A room with no BED?
My husband has a very bad back and a pull out sofa was not the romantic idea we started out with when we booked our stay. The lady helping us offered us a discounted rate of $140 for our trouble since another room was just not possible. We agreed since really we had no other recourse.
The room was functional, the sofabed was terrible but I would not have complained had the rate that had been offered been given. My account was charged for the full amount of $260, plus a deposit hold of $95. It's been a week, still don't have the credit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for staying with us during such a special occasion! We appreciate you reaching out to us and we are happy that we were able to work with you directly to resolve the issue. Your credit has been issued and the next step is for your bank to release the credit to you, which could take several business days. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a memorable experience in the future!
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Upon arrival on 3/31/11, my husband waited in the car under the canopy while I went in to register. The lack-luster man who (barely) waited on me said he needed ID of the exact person who made the reservations. That meant i had to go back out to the car and have my husband go in. Not what one would expect of a 4 star hotel; I was tired and annoyed and so was my DH.

To their credit, check in is not until 4 yet our room was ready, even though it was only about 11 AM.

After that, we were mostly very pleased with our choice of the Westin. The beds were wonderful and we liked being "in" but not "of" the city. I felt safer across the river, there was a great view of SAV, and it was no doubt much quieter than one of the inns along the bustling commercial south bank, especially given the liberal open-container law in this town.

Our only other disappointment was with the Aqua restaurant (the only place to eat there other than Starbucks and the bar). On Sat. morning around 9:30 we went for breakfast, only to find a long line. One of the women in line said she'd been told there was a 15 min. wait for breakfast, even with reservations! And there was not a buffet, which means it would've been pricier than going downtown to a cafe and taken longer.

We decided to get a quick coffee at the Starbucks on the lobby level, then go elsewhere to eat. Apparently everyone had this idea, as there was a line there, too, and the poor barristas were being run ragged.

Still, I'd stay there again. Cleanliness, safety and comfort rule. And my DH liked the golf.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinSav, Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
We are thankful for your recent stay at the resort! We are pleased to know that your stay was a pleasant experience and that your guest room met your expectations. We take pride in providing our guests with quality guest room experiences through our exclusive heavenly beds and heavenly amenities. We strive to provide cleanliness and comfort and we are happy that your rule was met. We are sorry to hear that you were unable to experience our signature restaurant, Aqua Star, which is well known in the area for its delicacies. We look forward to welcoming you during your next visit to Savannah and hope that you will be able to enjoy Aqua Star during your stay!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights her in March, over St Patrick's Day. The hotel is actually on an island directly across from Savannah downtown. There's a free ferry that takes you across every 15 minutes or so and only takes a few minutes to get across. It's a cool perspective on the town that you really can't get from anywhere else. One tip, if you're there for St Patrick's Day, the wait for the ferry can be what seems like 1000-people long. While the ferry is going back and forth, it can only take maybe 35 people so you imagine how long that takes. We didn't realize until after we had waited in the line for about 30 minutes (and hadn't moved up very far), that the hotel was offering a shuttle van to downtown, we were able to show our room key and hop on that and get there in no time.

Otherwise using the ferry was fast and convenient. We even took it just to pop across the river for dinner

Checkin was okay, and maybe it's because they were so busy, but we had to keep asking questions that we felt should have been explained upon check in. We're Platinum and generally a Starwood welcomes you that way and confirms if they've upgraded your room, given you a welcome amenity, etc. We had to ask each of these questions and while most things were already taken care of, it's better for the check-in person to confirm this themselves. There was a try of green lemonade, waters and cookies set out during that first day which was a nice touch.

The lobby and public spaces are nice, like a typical westin and the pool are was great. We only spent an hour or two out by the pool, but one suggestion would be to have someone coming around to get drink orders. I didn't end up getting anything, but I definitely would have if someone had come by.

The room itself was nice, although we were a bit disappointed that we seemed to get a standard room (although river view, which was an upgrade). Generally we get much nicer rooms with our status but perhaps it was because the hotel was so busy. Besides that, the room had everything we needed, was clean, had the great heavenly bed, etc. The bathroom really wasn't very big, but otherwise was fine.

Parking is free, but the process isn't very clear. They should have a sign when you're pulling through the gate (as you don't have a room key yet). Again, this is something I had to ask plenty of questions about but I felt should have just been offered at checkin. In the end, it was an easy process and even without the room key when checking out, we were able to push a button from the parking exit and they just let us out.

I had also called the concierge at the hotel several weeks before the stay to see if they could help get our name at the list at Paula Deen's restaurant. The man I spoke to seemed quite young, but was polite and said he'd check on it for me. He did call back, but even when I offered several suggestions on how he could help, none of them were possible. And in the end, we were able to get a reservation no problem. Anyway, I was expecting a little bit more from the service seeing as we're platinum.

For those who are okay missing the true local experience of staying in a B&B, I think this hotel is a good option.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us during a very exciting time in Savannah! St. Patrick's Day is a big event in Savannah and we are happy to hear that you were able to take the ferry to River Street to enjoy the festivities. We are glad that your room provided you with the amenities that you needed for a comfortable stay. We certainly value our SPG members and your status shows that you are a loyal customer to Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We apologize for not having had the opportunity to provide you with a room other than a standard. We would also like to thank you for your feedback which we will certainly take into account. We hope that you will visit us again in the future so that we may have the opportunity to provide you with a special room in addition to a great experience!
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our 4 nights and 5 days at this lovely hotel. He was attending a conference in this hotel and I tagged along to finally experience the charm of this warm southern city.

To term this hotel as convenient would be an understatement, though that is the first thought that comes to mind. Located on a busy waterway, it is just a 5-10 minute water ferry ride to the other side. If you wore your feet out touring the town, you’d be very happy to stay within the resort grounds and have plenty to do – golf, spa, fitness, pool or simply vegging on your balcony with a glass of wine and watch the container ships glide by, which I never seemed to tire of doing.

I can report that “service with a smile” is where this hotel excels. I used the “Service Express” button frequently and I was never made to feel that I was bothering anyone. Travel enough and you know what I mean by that statement. I asked for robes to be delivered, housekeeping a specific time and room service for breakfast once and dinner once. In every instance, a gal phoned as a follow-up to be certain my request was completed. That is a first for me.

I enjoyed my hot stone message by Paula at the Spa, which is located a 1 minute shuttle drive away at the golf club. I don’t golf but the location sure looks inviting. The spa staff and facilities were quite nice and serene. I made sure to go early enough to have hot tea and stayed after to enjoy the sauna and steam room as well.

I hesitated to engage the concierge since I usually have my time mapped out already but a stop at the desk to inquire about a particular joint and efficient Merry had us booked with reservations the great martini and tapas place called Jazz’d for later in the week.

My favorite hotel related experience came after I lost an earring from our 11th floor balcony while watching 2 dolphins roll along the dockside. After a day of solo sightseeing I went to the front desk for help, he took the matching earring and made a call to maintenance and said they would check into it. About a half hour later, from the balcony, I watched as 2 maintenance workers drove a lift vehicle astride the 2 story ballroom below. They raised the platform and this worker gal flung herself over the wall and trekked around until she threw her hands up in victory and dashed over to my missing earring. I screamed out a Wooo Hoo and in 5 minutes she was at my door with a big ol’ smile. I gave her a hug and thanked her for even entertaining the request let alone actually doing it! Service? I think so!

My husband asks that I report that in the 100s of conferences he’s attended in multiple countries, he has NEVER had better conference food! Apparently this merits mention and he went on and on about how superb it was. He’s had 2 conferences at this location and it was great both times.

Also should note that each day I was able to connect my iPad to their free wireless service. You can choose to connect to their regular internet for that day for free or to select the highspeed option for a fee. For my purposes I chose the free option each day, needing only to input your room number and guest name. Simple, easy and it worked perfectly.

In summary, we will be back to Savannah – for further review of the city and all the things we didn’t do this time – and no question we will stay at this well run hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
WestinSav, Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Wow! We are pleased to hear about your great experience at our resort. Our staff is top notch and I am happy to hear that they were able to exceed your expectations in more ways than one. We take pride in having a great team that is always ready to provide quality customer service to each and every guest. I am glad to hear that your earring was recovered as a result. Our Heavenly Spa is a delightful retreat and we are happy to hear that you were able to experience its amenities as well as Paula and her massaging talent. We are thankful to have loyal customers, as yourself, and we hope to have the opportunity to create yet another unforgettable experience for you!
Tinley Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Traveling through from Chicago, Il to the Southern part of our country. Stayed at the Westin on Hilton Head Island, now here for 3 days in Savannah at the Westin. In a SPG Deluxe Guestroom overlooking the River and a magnificent view of River Street, especially at night with all the lights. Beautiful City (not too crowded this time of year) and lots to see and do. Enjoying the amenities of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff, guess that's why they call it "Southern Hospitality". The rooms are nicely appointed and the lobby is quite handsome. Had dinner at the Aqua Star, deeeelish! Great for business travelers as the Convention Center is right next door.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and recent stay! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our property, your delicious meal in Aqua Star, and your picture perfect view of the river from your guest room. The evening view from our side of the river which overlooks historical downtown Savannah is breathtaking as it sparkles with endless lights. “Southern hospitality” is what we do best and we are excited to hear that it did not go unnoticed. We welcome you to stay with us again when visiting the South!
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

We were actually there for both business and leisure, primarily business. As other reviewers have said, this is a beautiful resort and wonderful hotel. The grounds are very nicely kept and while it was too cold to use the pool, I couldn't have asked for anything nicer. My last experience with Westin (in another location) was over 5 years ago and it wasn't a great one. I would say that overall, this experience has changed my view of the Westin chain of hotels.

I will point out that the room is not very well kept for a hotel/resort that I consider to be at least 4 star quality. Things were broken - many things in the room that I thought should have been taken care of on a regular basis. This really bothered my husband but thankfully, he was able to speak to someone and the service staff was able to come and fix the issues. The staff that did stop by were very friendly so that definitely made the experience better.

In terms of visiting the historic district, we had 2 strollers and 2 young children (2 years and under) and we had no problems with getting them all over on the ferry. The ferry was quite convenient. The river view from the room was great - my toddler loved it. Also, I was able to get take out from the sports bar downstairs which was good since it's easier to control 2 young kids in the room than in a sports bar. The amenities book that's in the desk in the hotel room says that Westin has a kids club. I was looking for something to keep the toddler busy (that was not TV) during the day. The hotel did give us a small gift bag for both of our kids which they liked. Finally, the beds are really great and comfortable.

All in all, there was some issues with the room and other minor things that my husband had issues with, but they were able to correct them for us without too much hassle. Since they were nice about addressing our issues which I value, I will recommend this hotel to others and will definitely stay again if we go to Savannah.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
We would like to thank you for staying with us! We are proud to be able to display a gorgeous property with associates that aim to please our guests. It is great to hear that we were able to meet your expectations while also altering your view of Westin hotels to a pleasurable experience, as a true Westin experience should be. Your feedback of the room is greatly appreciated as all of the guest rooms should be in tip-top condition and your feedback helped us to address the concerns that were present in your room. We hope that you will have the opportunity to stay with us again, perhaps for leisure and when the weather is nicer so that you and the little ones may enjoy the pool and other kid-friendly outdoor activities that we have to offer.

Been to Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!