“check it out further before you go?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Owens-Thomas House

Owens-Thomas House
124 Abercorn Street, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)
912 233 9743
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 100 Attractions in Savannah
Type: Historic Sites, History Museums, Cultural
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: The Owens-Thomas House is considered by architectural historians to be one of the finest examples of English Regency architecture in America. Inspired by classical antiquity, this style of architecture takes its name from England’s King George IV, who ruled as Prince Regent from 1811 to 1820.The house was designed by the young English architect William Jay, one of the first professionally-trained architects practicing in the United States. The elegant residence was built from 1816 to 1819 for cotton merchant and banker Richard Richardson and his wife Francis Bolton. Mr. Richardson’s brother-in-law was married to Ann Jay, the architect’s sister. Three years after the house’s completion, Richardson suffered financial losses and sold his house, which later came under possession of the Bank of the United States.
englewood
“check it out further before you go?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

we arrived and was told it was a self guided tour? 15.00 per person self guided,most rooms drapped off had some guards? people wondering around didn't know anything, one of them said the guides were at a local guide meeting? would have been nice if the lady taking your money would have given a clue.looked like a great house but ask Qs before you enter, would not give them a second chance, and will tell all my friends that go to owens thomas house watch out. was the worse tour (not tour) in all of savannah. please check it out close before you go

Visited October 2011

Port Orange, Florida
16 attraction reviews
“Not the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011 via mobile

This tour did not stand out from the several that we did on our trip to savannah except for the price. Too much for two little. The house had a couple of unique points but not enough to justify the entry fee.

Orlando, Florida
13 attraction reviews
“$15 way too much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

We visited the house on Sept 16th, 2011. We were told if we were to do one house tour, this was it. And it may well have been had we had a better tour guide. I guess I knew we were in trouble the minute she opened her mouth. I can not even tell you her name as she did not give it to us nor did she wear a name badge. She was newish, I hope because she was that awful. Now, I know we all have to be new at a job at some stage, but I do not feel she was good enough to be left alone with a tour group. She could not answer any questions all we got was "ummmm I don't know". And trust me, "Um" was a favorite word of hers. I wish we had had a better guide. I feel the house wouldn't have appeared to be such a huge disappointment to us. It was basically, "This is um, were the um slaves lived, this is um the kitchen, um that's the cistern, um, it kept water in it. Um behind that um is were they um kept the ice. Um how cool!" and so forth. Apparently the house had a working bathroom too, it's not there now. Had my Aunt not been the one to pay for all four of us, I would have asked for a refund or atleast a discount. Best advice, ask at the ticket counter how long the guide has been working. There was a male guide that seem to have a great personality and from what we heard a ton of knowledge about the house.

Visited September 2011
4 attraction reviews
“Interesting tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011 via mobile

This was a beautiful house. Our tour guide was very knowlegable. My husband and I thought it was a little pricey but not sure how much it takes to keep something like this up. There is a pass that let's you get into this house and the two art museums so if you tour more than one then definitely a good deal. Overall we enjoyed the house and the tour.

Buford, Georgia
27 attraction reviews
“Advances in Technology for the times very interesting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My wife really wanted to see this home based on the reviews here in Trip Advisor and I have to say, I was quite intrigued and pleasantly surprised by the incredible technological advances in the home.

First off, if you are going to be in Savannah for a few days or you want to tour multiple sites like this home and the Telfair Art Museum, ask for a multi-site pass. This is a better deal than purchasing admission per site. They actually didn't tell us this when we bought the tickets, we found out later at the Telfair Museum.

This was the first home built by William Jay in the United States and he used this home as a showcase of technological advances that are quite stunning when you consider when this home was built. Indoor plumbing with showers, baths and indoor toilets were the first of their kind in Savannah. The tour has done a nice job cutting away some of the foundation down below so you can clearly see how the large 5,000 gallon cistern in the basement works. To the right is a kitchen that housed a coal fired range, much safer than wood fireplaces. The huge shower / bath area is exposed on the left side.

Interior, the skylight touch in the dining room is absolutely, incredibly stunning even to this day. I've never seen anything like it. The indoor bridge upstairs is quite unique as well, affording more headroom for the staircase below.

This is a beautiful home that's definitely worth checking out and for those of you who like to see "how things work" this is a neat showcase of technology that paved the way for all the conveniences we have in our lives today.

Visited September 2011