“A lesson in Gullah” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 165 Activities in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: A New Day For Tours...in Savannah, Hilton Head, Riceboro, and the Lowcountry of Georgia and South Carolina – “Day Clean Journeys”. We take you on journeys through time. Get a full view of the history regarding the above areas on one of our journeys (tours). We pride ourselves on providing “Tours for Everyone”! Anyone can and will enjoy our tours. Day Clean is a Gullah phrase that means “new day”, “beginning of the day”, or “dawn”. In addition, it is a philosophy of life that means each day is a new day; each day starts anew; no matter what occurred yesterday – today is a new day (“day clean”) . We provide stimulating, informative, and enlightening journeys. You may even become a little inspired after a journey.Students and Teachers, Families, Religious Groups, Youth Organizations, Conference Attendees, Senior Citizens, Friends, and Others have been enthralled by our journeys. We are sure you will be enthralled, also.We have provided tours and shared the history of the lowcountry to groups for over a decade. Not only can we provide a wonderful tour but we can arrange for living history presentations that are entertaining, engaging, and illuminating.
“A lesson in Gullah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

That was our second tour of Savannah, but was the most interesting & informative tours (lessons). I've would have spent more time on the tour if it was longer. I suggest this tour to anyone visiting Savannah. Thanks again Jamal !!!!

Visited September 2013

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great historic tour with Jamal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was one of the best African-American tours that I have had. Jamal did an excellent job of explaining the historical contributions of my ancestors. His personality and wit made the tour even that much more enjoyable. I didn't realize that Savannah, GA had some much rich history. I would recommend this tour for ANYONE visiting Savannah. I only wish that I had enough time to take the folklore tour as well. I guess I'll have to make another trip to Savannah for that tour.

Visited June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great time. Very informative.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I would highly recommend the tour. It was very informative. It's good for couple, families or solo travelers.

Visited August 2013
Dacula, Georgia
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was an awesome tour. Im so glad to have found Jamal and his Gullah Geechee tour. He really did take us on a journey. The information was great, and the history was very accurate. My favorite stops were the 1st African Baptist Church, as well as the riverfront. This tour made me appreciate my stay in beautiful Savannah even more. I loved learning more about how my ancestors got to this country, it really gave me a better appreciation for my life.

Visited August 2013
Decatur, Georgia, United States
“Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This tour is a must see for anyone visiting Savannah and likes history. Although I think anyone can enjoy this tour I feel that anyone of African or African-American ethnicity is doing themselves a disservice if they don't take this tour while visiting the beautiful city of Savannah. This tour makes you see Savannah in a whole new light. Our tour guide Jamal was great and very knowledgeable. I never knew there was so much African and African-American history to the city. It's one thing to visit a city and travel to all the tourist spots but it's a whole new "Journey" to travel their and be told the whole story in particular the black side of the story. I'm not really one into all that history stuff but I truly felt enlightened and educated once this tour was finished. I felt like I truly got my money's worth (which is rare for all the activities we did all weekend in Savannah) and was happy to give my money so that they may continue doing research and providing awesome tours. I really wanted to ride around a little longer and here more. I hate to nitpick at anything this tour guide was doing since I had such a great time but I know I'm a skeptic to any review that is all positive with no negatives so I'll give my few negatives. The tour guide did speak fast. I speak fast so I caught on to most of what he was saying. He did have a slick sense of humor. Some people may take his humor the wrong way. But like I said before he was a GREAT tour guide. Also, at the end we did get a taste of some Red Velvet Cake at a restaurant called Garden of Eden. We got a small cup with just a small bite. I'm a brother from the south who loves Red Velvet Cake so I would have loved just a bigger bite was all. Great Job overall. 4.5 stars out of 5

Visited July 2013