“Higher End Italian Food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Leoci's Trattoria

Leoci's Trattoria
606 Abercorn St, Savannah, GA 31401-5702 (Downtown)
+1 912-335-7027
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #155 of 722 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Hours of Operation: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Higher End Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Menu and prices are higher end Italian. Much fancier than your average Olive Garden menu with imaginative combinations. We arrived early on a Thursday night and found that the web site was incorrect...they DO NOT start serving dinner at 3 pm (the menu said so too), they start at 5 pm. The service was attentive, but the wait time for both salad and entree courses was about 30 minutes. Too slow considering the pre-prepared nature of most of the entrees. We observed similar wait times at the adjoining table.

The pasta entrees were very good, but are huge. Too large for anyone to eat the whole thing. Smaller portions and a reduced price would be nice. For example, the meatball entree at another table had four pool-ball sized meatballs. The pizza was very thin crust a la St. Louis and had the typical Naples brick oven burn marks on the bottom. If you aren't a fan of that type pizza, you will be disappointed. The cold watermelon/tomato gazpacho was great...and probably would have been just as good hot.

All in all, a very enjoyable place and great food, but be prepared to wait for your order and plan on eating leftovers at home the next day.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dupont, Washington
“Lovely, out of the way restaurant with a beautiful deck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Leoci's has a wonderful menu of meats, seafood and pasta. The specials feature seasonal items. I had the summer stew which was fantastic but a little heavy after buffalo motzarella and pancetta which was delicious!
The interior is a little small so if you want to sit inside I would suggest a reservation. The deck is quite large but I'm sure this place is busy on any weekend night.
Great place to try when the thought of typical southern food just not what you're looking for

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miamisburg, Ohio
“Simply Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Some of the best Italian food I have ever had. The gnocchi bolognese was incredible, as was the lobster ravioli my wife had.

Visited June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Confused and not on top of their game”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Ive been to Leocis before. I've enjoyed it. Since my last visit, the chefs wife updated the menu. It was not a great experience. I left before I was served . This is why:
On the wine menu it had a disgestivo category as a before dinner section (should be after dinner) but they do not have an alcohol license. I asked about them and they did not know what a disgestivo was and brought out the chef. He suggested a wine. I asked for a compari and soda and that's when they said they don't have a liquor license and blamed the menu on the chefs wife.
The water tasted like sewage and I mentioned it was worse than at my home in savannah and the chef said he never drinks tap water. I told him most good restaurants filter their water. He reluctantly tasted it and said it tasted like the coke dispenser. I told him it needed cleaning. At that point everyone copped an attitude against me.
Then I look up above the bar and see a huge Leocis menu all in French saying they are a brasserie and charcuterie with pâtés, terrines, confits and other French items, so I ask if they have any confit, and then I'm told he will ask the chef and they will get back to me and nobody did. So then I asked again about it and the chef came out and said , it's savannah we can do what they want. I told the waiter they were embarrassing themselves and he said if all I could do was insult them,I could leave. I said I wasn't insulting them just asking questions.
At that point, I just left. They said nothing. They were basically glad I left. What an experience.
How far does uneducated attitude go? The chef happens to make great pasta, but when I asked what entrees they had, they said pasta. From my experience with Italian food, pasta is served before the entree and a disgestivo is served after dinner not before as a rose wine.
So is this confusing? I think if his wife makes the menu and she doesnt know Italian food and wine then it will continue to throw people off. She doesnt seem to be in sync. Why put headings in Italian on the menu without the content with a French item menu board above the bar with items you don't serve....just saying. But as the chef owner told me, it's savannah and he can do what he wants ....basically be ignorant and insult the intelligence of the paying guest. The waiter said I insulted them and I told him they insulted them self, but when you act like that, it drives the customer home without dinner to write a perminant review. Today you can't afford with social media to let any guest leave unhappy. It's a permant scar and they could have just lost the attitude. Nothing worse in my option than an attitude when you are in the business to please. Either you are an Italian place or a French place. Why on earth would you put a French menu board above the bar with your restsurant name on it and not serve French food or any of the items on the board? Seems it should have been in sync with the menu.
The chef left me thinking he thinks the customers would never comprehend this in savanna ga or not knowing your own menu is cool. If you don't like it....just leave. Mixed message. I was shocked at the we are too cool for school attitude. I heard too many I don't know why answers and the chefs wife did it and she must not know?
Bottom line, they insulted me by thinking I was stupid enough to fall for this experience. I never had one bite before I was miserable.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Gallatin, Tennessee
“An Italian Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

After a long day of exploring the historic district, we stumbled upon Leoci's. It was wonderful! The watermelon gazpacho hit the spot after a hot humid trek through the squares! We split an Italian sausage pizza. The chef makes his own sausage! Seek it out and have a wonderful night!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere