“Pretty Good but I'm Picky” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   102 West Bay St, Savannah, GA 31401 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #18 of 112 hotels in Savannah
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Pretty Good but I'm Picky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is now a Marriott property and I normally stay with the franchise for points. Here's what I liked about the hotel. Excellent location just off the historic district. It took us no time at all to walk to the most popular areas. Our room was spotless with amenities I expect from the Autograph collection. Check in was to be expected: we had to wait until our room was ready which was not until after the 3PM check in. Cocktails on the roof were fun overlooking the river. Our room also overlooked the river which was fun until the ships blew its whistle at 7AM. But what are you gonna do? It's a shipping port. And a busy one at that.
We had very expensive margaritas in the lower level bar - be careful what type of tequila you ask for! $18 was a bit dear even if it was good. We also decided to stay in one night and had dinner at the hotel. No reservations were needed. But that's a good thing because I would not eat here again. Lousy service. Lousy food. Slow slow slow. I had to remind the server to take truffle fries off my tab since they did not serve them to me. The manager came out just as we were leaving to apologize for the tardiness of the food and said they were training new staff. I know this sounds cold but train on your own time, not mine. I work hard for my vacation and Marriott knows better.
In the end we had a lovely stay but after touring the city we will stay at a local B&B next time.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a river view. The historic view is boring!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt E, General Manager at The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear JulesfromIowa,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I appreciate your constructive comments.

You are absolutely correct in that your service should not suffer as we are training our new associates. I am sharing your comments with our Executive Chef and management team for immediate follow up.

I would love it if you gave us another chance on your next trip to Savannah. We will do everything possible to make your stay flawless. I apologize that your last visit was not.

553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Stoneham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Absolutely wonderful place. Best location. Staff are excellent and there to make sure you are completely satisfied. Visited for a long weekend. Hotel is beautiful. Our room was on the river side that offered great views. Rocks on the River bar/restaurant was a fun lively place. Rocks on the Roof is the rooftop bar with amazing views and also a very lively place. Fitness center is small but we were the only ones there when we went so it was no problem. No pool which could be an issue depending on the weather. We were there in April and the temperatures were in the 70's - 80's. We were so busy exploring that the lack of a pool didn't matter. Savannah is amazing and strongly suggest you visit if you haven't already. Great restaurants and outdoor local entertainment. Also close to Hilton Head, SC. Visited for an afternoon and saw alligators! That was something for us! Back to the hotel..it was rated 4 stars. I would give it 5!! Concierge and bell man services are outstanding.

Rated 4 stars. I would give it five! Would love to go there again!

Room Tip: Ask for river side! They are very accommodating.
Brookline, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for two nights in a river front room. The room was comfortable, with a ton of electronics and a huge shower but only one reading chair and windows that did not open. The decorating was weird - ghostly images in the reception area, dark halls, strange paintings, driftwood candelabra, heavy metal studs on the furniture; supposedly a nautical theme. Huge container ships and tug boats passed by frequently outside our window. The service was excellent - they brought us a small refrigerator quickly upon request. Breakfast in their ground floor dining room was very good. The location is separated from the historic district by a somewhat run down commercial district, so we had to drive to the nicer parts of town. Too trendy for us but others may like their style.

Room Tip: Ask for a river front room with a balcony so you can get fresh air. Avoid the top floors since ther...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sandy B,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your recent experience at Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront.

We do have a unique design that was intended to tie in with the features of our location on the Savannah River, from oyster chandeliers to kayaks on the ceiling. The river is definitely active with ships coming and going.

Our staff will appreciate hearing that you found the service was excellent.

Please let us know if we can be of assistance on a future visit to Savannah.

SoCal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Savannah seems to take pride in all things haunted, judging from the number of promotions I saw for "ghost tours". We didn't feel the need to hail one of those hearses given the downright creepy decor of our lodgings at The Bohemian. The hallway artwork was bizarre, with stricken faces staring out from thick, bright acrylic canvases. The room decor was even stranger, especially the barnacle-encrusted chandelier that hung menacingly over our bed.

We stayed in a "corner river room", which is, I believe is listed as a "larger guest room" on the Marriott web site which is where reservations must be made. I was looking forward to the river view but unfortunately, the river-facing windows are pretty small. Still, the location is great for getting the flavor of the river area and we really enjoyed seeing the huge container ships pass by, led in some cases by small dolphins frolicking off the ship bows. The room's side windows faced the massive wall of the Hyatt next door, leading us to understand why there was so much hoopla over allowing that hotel to be built. Too bad the Hyatt triumphed in this case.

The only thing worse than the chandelier was the faux-fur throw on the bed. I wish I had brought latex gloves with which to remove it as I suspect there was a petri dish-worth of bacteria clinging to it from the forays of previous guests. I also had concerns about hygiene issues with the red velvet-quilted headboard. The sheets on the bed were clean but limp and of below-average quality. However, the room was clean and newish and the bath, while constructed of materials bearing no resemblance to anything found in nature, was spacious and well-designed.

I read numerous recommendations for the hotel's rooftop bar, which we visited once. Pleasant but not that exciting, really, and there are very few seats actually facing the river. (For a better view, I highly recommend dining at nearby Vic's on the River) I also read a number of reviews warning about bar noise disturbing residents of higher-floor rooms. This was not really an issue for us but maybe because we were there mid-week rather than over a weekend. The room walls are thin and we did hear a lot more than we would have wished from neighboring rooms and hallway passersby.

I originally had booked with the Bohemian's sister hotel, The Mansion on Forsyth Park, but switched out because it seemed that Forsyth Park was a bit far away from restaurants and activities. We stopped by The Mansion for lunch one day to check it out and it was confirmed that for us, The Bohemian was a better choice. For all its failings, the Bohemian's location is excellent. And it seems that Marriott inadvisably let the same crazed decorator loose at The Mansion, given the bright orange-lacquered furniture and light fixtures in their restaurant.

When I read half-hearted hotel reviews, I always wish reviewers would tell me where it is they wish they had stayed instead. I can't say that I saw a clear winner for a luxury hotel in this case. The Hamilton-Turner Inn looked magnificent from the outside but there seemed to be quite a few stairs which could be a deterrent for some. Perhaps the Westin across the river would be an option, although it is a bit removed from the action and I did not see its rooms.

The staff at The Bohemian seems quite youthful but I was impressed by their earnestness and desire to provide service. Not their fault that the place was decorated by someone on hallucinogens...

Dear Goingoinggone,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience during a recent visit to Bohemian Hotel Savannah.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like our unique décor and original artwork. Our goal is to combine all elements, especially those of our river front location, to create an amazing experience.

Please be assured the bed throw is cleaned on a regular basis, and we would be happy to remove from your remove if it was not to your liking.

Thank you for your comments, and we do hope you will visit on your next trip to Savannah.

Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is a trendy hotel, rooms were nice but not as nice as other Bohemian hotels I have stayed in. Not much of a lobby and the hotel is a little small but oveall it was a great place to stay. Well within walking distance to good dinning, and bars. The hotel has a nice ba on the roof that has a great view of the river.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in a river front larger king size room for two nights, which I highly recommend upgrading to. Room was large and had wonderful alcove with heavenly leather lounger where you can watch ships sail down the river. Bedroom and hotel Decor is dark and may not be to everyone's liking. The hotel is without a doubt the best on the river front but the hotel's designers/interior decorators had obviously never sleep here, which resulted in a number of annoying problems, such as no bedside table on one side of bed, problematic light switches, the inability to open any windows, no hooks to hang clothes in bathroom, a lack of drawers for clothes and toilet door and shower door which are problematic on opening when there are bath mats on floor. There is no mini fridge but hotel will provide one on request. There is a large size closet and work desk without drawers. We had constant problems with Wi Fi and were told by management that it was because our room was far from the elevators. We were offered another room but declined because the room was not available for 24 hours. On complaining the management was superb and tried to deal with most of our complaints very fast. They eventually fixed my husband's Wi Fi but could not fix mine. The roof top bar "Rocks" is very cool but the restaurant on the ground floor also called Rocks is very disappointing, expensive, dark and looks like a glorified cafeteria. Breakfast in Rocks is good but far too expensive for what it is. Give yourself plenty of time at the front office as the staff doubles as concierges and one has to wait a long time to be served. Nice bowl of fresh apples is available at front desk for guests. Security is great. Bell boys are pleasant, fast and efficient as is most most of staff and although parking is expensive, it is very convenient. The hotel's locations allows one to walk to most places of interest and the hop on, hop off bus stops right outside. The hotel tries very hard to please its' clients but is small so it does not have the capacity that a large Marriott has. It is expensive for Savannah but the location is amazing and despite the problems we encountered, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to river front room. Book dinner reservations before arriving in Savannah at restaurants of...
Carpentersville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We arrived at night and were immediately pleased. The hotel is all lit up..including the palm trees in front. The lobby is warm, modern and interesting. All of the staff (front desk, vallets, maids) are very helpful and go out of their way to make sure you're happy.

Everything in the hotel is very artistic from the elevators to the rooms. We stayed on the 8th floor for 4 nights and enjoyed every minute of it. We faced the historic district instead of the river. The beds and bedding are very comfortable. We did a Savannah tour and the tour guide raved about our hotel and the rooftop bar.

The location is great. We walked or cabbed it everywhere. We will come again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
KesslerCorporate, Manager at The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review! We are thrilled that you had a pleasant stay and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Been to The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!