“Very Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sanford, Florida
“Very Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This was my 1st trip to Savannah to celebrate my birthday. Unfortunately the hotels in Savannah can be expensive so I was looking to find an affordable hotel that I would not be afraid to lay on the sheets at night. After reading the reviews on tripadvisor I decided to check it out. I was very surprised to be honest because of the cheap rates but the room I had was very clean. The beds were okay for as being comfortable. The pillows were a little too soft for me. Thank goodness I bring my own pillows. I did pull back the sheets and checked the mattress and both were very clean. The room was very spacious and most of the time at night it was very quiet except for the ice machine (Make sure you do not get a room near the ice machine). The location was very good...close to the major highway, plenty restaurants to choose from and it is 15 min from downtown Savannah. Now the certain gas smell I read about in the previous reviews I did smell it also but you can tell it is definitely not gas. I have no idea what smell it is but I smelled it only in the lobby. I recommend they use some plug ins or candles to get rid of that. The water pressure was low in the shower. The biggest con about this hotel is the breakfast. Now this is a total joke. Frozen waffles next to a toaster with syrup...are you kidding me??? We ended up having breakfast at McDonalds every morning. Even though I was not pleased with the breakfast, this would not keep me from visiting this hotel again. I chose this hotel for the price & the location and for this I give them 2 thumbs up.

Room Tip: Anywhere not near the ice machine
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

For the most part the room was clean. They need to clean the dust ruffles on both beds. There was spots all over them! Motel fairly new. You might as well forget using the wifi. Not enough of a signal to get it to work. We stayed two days. The first night we booked our room through a website at a cheaper rate. I ask if they would honor that rate for the second night because wifi wasn't working so I couldnt book it online. The owner which is very hard to understand because she does not speek very good english didn't really want to do it. In the end she did but still charge a few dollars more than the internet price. She then didn't want to give me a receipt. This I did not like because I wanted proof of the charge. It took me almost all day to get it from her! We stayed in the room next to where the breakfast was served. Do not get that room if you do not want to get woke up at 5:30 am from them slamming and banging around stuff to get breakfast ready. Breakfast was OK. It was cold cereal, prepackaged cinnamon rolls and toast. Not sure what all the noise was about to get that stuff ready each morning but it was too early for me! If I was to go to Savannah again I would not stay there after dealing with the owner. I would rather stay somewhere else. The only reason we stayed there a second night was because we didn't want to pack 5 people up to move.

• Stayed November 2012
super8savannah, Manager at Super 8 Savannah, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for your review. It gives me a terrific opportunity to tell our future guests how to avoid some of the pitfalls mentioned in this review. First and foremost, we aim to please. If you do not like the room to which you have been assigned, please call down to the front desk immediately and ask if there is another room in the house. We want feedback and will try to accommodate all of our guests if they are not happy with the room. Of course we must be told before the room has been used.

Secondly, if you are having trouble with the WIFI, there is a tent card on every desk which provides the telephone number for a 24 hour service with which we contract to take care of those kinds of problems. If our guests don't see the card, please call the front desk and we will assist you with the telephone number.

Finally the receipt. We provide receipts to any guests who requests it when they leave the hotel. Guests are given receipts after their entire bill has been paid including any incidental charges which might accrue during their entire stay.
Stafford, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Hotel seems brand new so it is very clean and the rooms are large.. But the front desk is horrible. All of them are from a different country and the english was terrible. Besides the frustration of the language barrier they commited credit card fraud and my bank went after them. If you stay here, pay in cash. I made this reservation online with my cc. When we got to the hotel wer were told there was an "error" in the reservation. It had charged us for 2 rooms, well we didn't need 2 rooms. Not only did they make the customer pay for an internet "error" on there part, but when he took my debit card that I gave him to pay for '1' room, He swiped it for the other room too, which I did not authorize him to do so, which is fraud, So we fought this and WON! It was a completely fraudulent charge and I was told I could have pressed credit card fraud charges against the clerk, but I choose not too since I did get my money back. Be careful anywhere you go! I know if they would have had a history of defrauding customers I would have stayed somewhere else. I do not recommend this place at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
When a customer makes a reservation for one or two rooms, those reservation are the guests' responsibility -- not the hotel's. I'm sorry you made a mistake, I'm sorry too that when you received written confirmation for 2 room you did not understand what you had received. Because if you had read it, you could have called Super 8 or you could have called this hotel to explain what had happened and given us a chance to rent out the extra room you reserved but forgot to cancel 24 hours in advance of 4:00 pm. arrival. We are happy to cancel room when the notification is provided on time.

As for being charged for two rooms, the desk clerk does NOT have permission to cancel a room after the 24 hour time period. The website is very clear. Guests must cancel their reservations no later than 4:00 pm. the day before they are scheduled to arrive. After that time, cancellations can only be made by the manager for cause. Of course, once the facts were explained, the cancellation was made.

There was no fraud on the part of the hotel or any of its employees. A mistake was made by the guest and the hotel paid the price.
St. Pete
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed here one night. Got in around 1am, received quick service. The room was clean. Water pressure was low in the shower, but maybe they use water saving faucets? Breakfast was included, they had a decent variety- cereal, toast, oatmeal, OJ, apple juice, coffee, tea, cinnamon buns and a waffle maker for fresh, hot waffles. No complaints here. BTW, we stayed in a room with a king size bed, loveseat, and desk- 3rd floor overlooking parking lot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
hollywood, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Definately not up to my standards. This hotel must be writing their own reviews. I booked after checking out Trip Advisor. What Staff? There was only one woman to greet you,with an attitude. I asked to see the room first and she couldn't believe that I wanted to look at it before I would pay. Needless to say, she took me up stairs to a very dingy room with dirty carpet. I asked if there was another location and she told me no. There were no cars in the parking lot so what does that tell you.
I chose not to stay there and went across the street to Fairfield Inn & Suites. Now they are charging me for this room!!!!!! I can't believe it.
Ithink that they have quite a scheme going on. Definately look for something else is my advise to you.

Room Tip: Make sure to look at the room before you pay!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Linda F,

I would appreciate it very much if you would get in touch with me directly. I do not believe you were in my hotel. We are NOT located across the street from the Fairfield Inn; we absolutely welcome it when guests ask to see the room; we are happy to change rooms when asked if we are not full (of course looking at the number of cars in the parking lot is not a measure of the number of rooms available on any given evening because guests could be out or not yet arrived).

Finally, we charge for rooms when reservations have been made and are not cancelled within 24 hours PRIOR to check-in time of 3:00 pm. on the day of the reservation.

Please get in touch directly so that we can discuss this matter more fully. I do not see your name on our roster for November.

Thank you.
Prakash Patel
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our room with a king bed was just great. Room was spotless. The staff were helpful and pleasant. Definitely planning to stay there again. We had our family cat with us who was welcomed as a guest too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
RAYNHAM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was not your typical Super 8. Only the front was in good repair, all else was in poor condition, especially the grounds. Location was miles away from any reasonably good restaraunts.
The room was clean, the bed sagged in the middle. Heat was good, breakfast reasonable.
The smoke detector in our room was in pieces and the lock on the outside door was broken. People across the hall were living there and cooking in their room.
Overall impression-----Shabby!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Dear William C,

Oh sir, I am positive you did not stay in this hotel. We do not offer weekly accommodations, nor do we allow them. No one lives in this hotel; our guests stay here for very short periods of time and there is no cooking in the rooms.

Besides which, the hotel is nearly new. You would have noticed that right away, not only on the outside but in the foyer, the dining room, and our guest rooms. I'm sorry you had a bad evening, but it was not spent here.

Been to Super 8 Savannah? Share your experiences!