“Huge room, comfy beds, great value!"” 4 of 5 stars

Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #46 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Huge room, comfy beds, great value!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

I booked a room for my mother and I after seeing that out of all the hotels in the Savannah area, this Super Eight was ranked so highly on Trip Advisor. Mind you, I had my doubts because Super Eight isn't exactly considered "upscale" by any means. The last one I stayed at was something out of a Wes Craven movie. But we were on a budget and most of the reviews were positive so I took the plunge.

This hotel is right off I-95 and a good 20-30 minutes from the historic district, depending on how you drive it. That alone was the main drawback, which is not a fault of the hotel itself. There are a few restaurants around (Shoney's, Hooters, McDonald's, Hardee's). Houlihan's is the one we went to the most and it was very good.

The young man who checked us in was nice, I think he was the owner's son. Our room was on the second floor next to the elevator, which gave me some concern for noise issues but there were none. The hotel is fairly small with only three floors but the rooms are, in my opinion, huge.

Our room had two very comfortable queen beds with high-quality bedding, on par or better with a Hampton Inn. No funky smells. The bathroom was spotless with a granite counter. The decor was very up to date. Flat screen TV was very nice. A microwave and microfridge were clean and worked fine. I was impressed that instead of the usual air conditioner controlled by a knob, each room has a thermostat so you can set the temp to whatever you like. No waking up to a frozen or sweltering room in the middle of the night.

Breakfast is provided and leans heavily on the carbs. Toast, bagels, English muffins, danish, instant oatmeal, three kinds of cereal are available. Bananas and apples were the only fruit. They did have a nice make-your-own waffle station. Some yogurt would have been a good addition. But considering how low the rates are, it's not bad.

We were not in our room a lot during our stay because we went into Savannah for most of the day. But when we were there, it was remarkably quiet. My only criticisms are that the bath towels were on the small side and they only provided three per day. For two women, that's not a lot but we could have asked for more.

If you want to be close to the action in the historic area, you might want to consider booking a hotel closer in. But if you are on a tight budget and don't mind a little driving, the Super Eight is perfect. You definitely get your money's worth and more.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

surprisingly nice for a Super 8. newer, well maintained, good size rooms, lower prices. ideal for those travelling through on I-95 it's right off the interstate. not real close to downtown savannah.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I arrived in Savannah around lunchtime. I knew check in was at 3pm but we were driving right by the place so decided to stop in and see if it was busy. We arrived to 4 cars in the parking lot. Perfect! We could drop the luggage off and head down into town.

I asked the couple at the front desk if I could check in. They had a conversation in their own language and then said "Early check in fee". I asked if they were really going to charge me extra since it was already afternoon? "Yes". I turned around, walked out and returned in the evening to check in (again). I was on a 10 day road trip and checked in a bit early to two other places that were much nicer than this with welcome arms.
I don't care how new your motel is, when you try to nickel and dime your customers, you're going to lose. No pool and 15-20 minutes into Savannah. Not worth the insult of the money grab to me.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Milford, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

It is a drive from Downtown but the hotel was clean and nice. Much nicer thank the Inn at Ellis Square we stayed at the night before.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

This was my first experiance using trip advisor. When it brought up a Super 8 with top ratings, I was dubious. I'm a business traveler on a budget so I gave it a shot. Amazing. Every bit as nice as the $100-$120 I usually stay in. I'm sure all Super 8's aren't this nice but Trip Advisor nailed this one.

• Stayed June 2010
Tifton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Room was beautiful and extremely clean. Service was excellent and everyone had a smile on the face! Just off I-95 and about 20-25 minutes away from River Street but was exactly what we wanted....quiet and away from all the hustle and bustle of the downtown area. Lots of restaurants to choose from nearby....we especially enjoyed a late night visit to Sonic just across the street! Doesn't take much to please me and the hubby....great trip!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We arrived here midway our trip for a rest with the family. The hotel staff is well maintained, very clean, and looks new!! The breakfast was good, especially the make your own waffles. My car battery died, and the hotel staff jumped my vehicle with there personal vehicle. Recommended to all!!

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Super 8 Savannah? Share your experiences!